• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

LUMS admission queries

Reaction score
Hi I am applying for SDSB PhD Management program but I am unable to find the financial aid application form . Can somebody tell me from where I can download it or am I supposed to fill it online ? Also suggest me some useful links for LMAT preparation.

Reaction score
Hi I am applying for SDSB PhD Management program but I am unable to find the financial aid application form . Can somebody tell me from where I can download it or am I supposed to fill it online ? Also suggest me some useful links for LMAT preparation.

check this link

http://lums.edu.pk/faq/phd-management

How do I apply for the PhD Management programme?

• Access LUMS website www.lums.edu.pk and create an account online
  • Fill out and submit the on-line application and mail the required documents at:
The Admissions Office SDSB
Suleman Dawood School of Business
Lahore University of Management Sciences
Opposite Sector U DHA
Lahore - 54792 Pakistan.

why not give the GMAT or GRE? there are more study materials available for it, it is also more standardized i just do not trust Pakistani university tests... apart from that the GMAT is accepted globally ... but remember the GMAT is Computer based so it can be a bit difficult to adapt

for the LMAT i think Anees hussain might be good

Reaction score
Greetings.
I am an FSc candidate applying to LUMS. I did O'levels but shifted to FSc because my family wanted me to. I got 5 A's and 4 B's in my O'levels. After that, I had my FSc 1st year exams last year and got 442/550 (80.3%)
I want to know what are my chances of getting into LUMS? Do they only admit students who have 6 A's or above in their O'levels, or do they look over your FSc marks as well?

Reaction score
Greetings.
I am an FSc candidate applying to LUMS. I did O'levels but shifted to FSc because my family wanted me to. I got 5 A's and 4 B's in my O'levels. After that, I had my FSc 1st year exams last year and got 442/550 (80.3%)
I want to know what are my chances of getting into LUMS? Do they only admit students who have 6 A's or above in their O'levels, or do they look over your FSc marks as well?
check their website .. it should be mentioned clearly .. if not then call them or email them

Reaction score
check their website .. it should be mentioned clearly .. if not then call them or email them

Nothing specific is mentioned in their website.
What's mentioned is the "eligibility criteria" for which a person can apply which isn't of much help quite honestly. If anyone here has a relative or friend studying in LUMS, please ask them and tell me.

Reaction score
http://lums.edu.pk/undergraduate-freshman-applicants.php?admissioncriteria

you meet the minimum requirement but do remember that the admissions are NOT only upon the basis of your grades it is your entire application that has the weight... if you have some good extracurricular activities such as social work or internships or your own science projects for which you took the initiative then i guess you can say that you will have a shot at it... you can also wait out a year and:-
1. do several internships,
2. personal science projects (document the project in-depth with videos, paperwork),
3. learn programming languages (you can learn it yourself via videos tutorials on youtube or via torrents on piratebay.com OR you can go to institutes and get certified)
4. give the SAT 1, SAT2 subject tests of chem, bio, phys, math

that way when you apply next year you will have a credible application as an individual who took time to go beyond the classroom and learn on his own and if you get good internships it can also give you a taste of the work life in your career options

you can also apply this year and if you get rejected then opt for the above mentioned steps ... then you can apply again next year... shows a lot of maturity (emotional control and persistent resilience) when a student once rejected takes the necessary steps to improve and then applies again ...and in any case a year in which you will learn about what you want with your career is worth a life time and that in turn will depend a lot on how disciplined your are in your pursuit of a quality internship and how much persistently eager you are to learn at your internships

the steps below should help:-

1. Linkedin: use linkedin in a step by step manner ... when using facebook to contact professionals ALWAYS mention that you are on linkedin as well .. but first you must learn to make a proper Linkedin Profile and a CV and then proceed with the steps below:-
i. Contact Professionals and request their guidance
ii. If they provide any advice then follow it and maintain a follow-up reminder
iii. Gradually after developing skills or whenever you feel you are ready request a meet, ask them to be your mentor.

2. Check the websites of organizations, visit them and ask them what skills will they need from you to let you become an intern, some organziations give the contacts of their employees, first email them requesting their guidance, if they approve then request a meeting and you might have to do this continuously in a respectable manner, bother them but always mention that you realize they are busy professionals, however their help will help you launch your career. And this requires a LOT of patience. (similar method to the linkedin steps mentioned above)

3. Use friends and family, some one's friend somewhere will have some relative who can get you an internship

4. Visit universities and meet professors as well as career counselors, as them for guidance and ask them which organizations offer job placements or internships, also ask them what is it that organizations look for in students.

Use all of the steps above to make a list of possible organizations that do offer opportunities, you can also look up phonebook.com to make a list of organizations, once you make a list apply to lets say 5 at a time and see where you think you need to improve your CV, what you might need to learn in either academic knowledge or real career practicalities in order to become a better prospective employee.

Basically it is a more sophisticated version of socializing, with friends we are care free with career development/professional networking you are more focused and presentable (decent formal wear, positive body language, basically grow-up and stop being a kid).

The above process is very time consuming so plan it carefully so as not to let it distract you from your studies and do not worry if your social life with your friends takes a bit of a dip, you have the rest of your life for socializing and the more you socialize with people in the workforce the more mature you become and the key to maturity is to accept a weakness or a bad situation (you can't always have everything) but to never be daunted and always seek ways to improve your skill calmly, NEVER lose your emotional control.

The overall keys are:-
1. Self presentation
2. CV construction
3. Skill development
4. Gaining practical exposure (books can take you only so far) .... btw if they do not let you do internships then request them if they can let you look at and observe the office floor or factory, etc you must really OBSERVE and Analyze ask a few questions.... so that when you apply to the next organization then you can impress them with practical field knowledge ... you can also ask organizations to just let you be there for a few weeks and let you learn on your own and you must learn what the organizations that you are applying to offer as products, to whom, their history, etc

From an academic perspective for engineering students, what you can do is develop you own science project and that means something really unique and challenging and practically applicable in real life ... so automatically you will have learn stuff that is beyond your current syllabus, programming and mathematically skills are really important for engineering students ... you can learn advanced math on youtube and http://nptel.ac.in/

i would also suggest watching TTC videos download them from piratebay.com very good for science students

http://www.mycollegeproject.com/Innovative Projects.html
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can someone plz tell me that in the sse admission test if I do bio section instead of math would I still be considered for engineering.
Thanks

Reaction score
I'm in my A levels(AS) I am opting for 3 subjects Maths, Physics and AICT. They are exactly the subjects which I'd need in my further studies in BCS(Computer Science). But in the SSE test I would be bound to attempt either Chemistry or Biology section along with other ones. Right? I ain't studying either of Chem or Bio. What should I do now? I hate Chem like anything! Is there any exemption for the applicants of BCS? It totally seems illogical for BCS applicants to study Chem or Bio because they ain't gonna need any of it further. Other universities like GIKI, NUST and FAST don't bound students to take Chem or Bio. Now, is there any chance for me to give SSE test with my current subjects?!

Reaction score
I'm in my A levels(AS) I am opting for 3 subjects Maths, Physics and AICT. They are exactly the subjects which I'd need in my further studies in BCS(Computer Science). But in the SSE test I would be bound to attempt either Chemistry or Biology section along with other ones. Right? I ain't studying either of Chem or Bio. What should I do now? I hate Chem like anything! Is there any exemption for the applicants of BCS? It totally seems illogical for BCS applicants to study Chem or Bio because they ain't gonna need any of it further. Other universities like GIKI, NUST and FAST don't bound students to take Chem or Bio. Now, is there any chance for me to give SSE test with my current subjects?!

just go to a training institute that trains students for the admissions tests... they will teach only the relevant material so it should be doable in 3 months i guess... if you don't have time then gv the test any way.. no harm in trying .. Additionally you could try next semester or next year ... and in the mean time do a few internships, learn programming languages (there are a lot of torrents and free video tutorials), learn how to make software, you can also work for free (the founder of linkedin.com used to do that) and learn how work is done as a Free Lance software developer AND as an employee, it will NOT harm your chances in fact it should make your application better since you are willing to step into the real world and check your career options (this will show that you know exactly what you want to do with your career)... the idea is to flexible as a prospective employee not rigid like a student (because that is what we are taught to be), start building your CV/resume NOW... and during your BSc try to find some freelance work on the side .. so that when you apply for a full-time job after your BSc or MSc your resume will not be empty

Reaction score
I have 85% in my matric and 65% in fsc(the minimum requirement) do I have chances of getting admission in LUMS plz tell me I'm worried.

Reaction score
I have 85% in my matric and 65% in fsc(the minimum requirement) do I have chances of getting admission in LUMS plz tell me I'm worried.
I would say no ones chances are 90percent in lums weather u score 8A or u have 6A in olevel or relevant marks in matric
It also depends on entry test,how well u are prepared for it.personally i think when i gave the test it was from Alevel/fsc syllabus,it seems that u don't know fsc,i might be wrong cuz some people know everything But get unlucky or something.
So forget all this do i have good chances or not, prepare well and just give your best shot,what ever the outcome is u can proudly say your self i was all in. Best of luck!

Reaction score
So this comes from a LUMS SSE test veteran. The grades are fine, any co-curriculars you could pitch in ?
The grades dont guarantee admission actually. A friend who got 8 A's at O levels didnt make it in.
You need to ask the LUMS admissions office whether they require math or not for Bio and Chem. The Test is NOT entirely based on A levels. The guy/gal who told you this probably never gave the SSE test. From my point of view its an amalgamation of Fsc, A levels and SAT's plus a whole lot of other gibberish.

From experience ( I gave like 8 entry tests into nearly all prestigious universities of Pakistan, med and engineering both). SSE is the hardest of all. Infact my senior told me the night before the test. "Dude you're gonna flip the papers and you will not know the answers to most of em. Infact you'll have to leave out 10-12 questions in some sections. But hey the good news is that the same is the situation with all the blokes in the exam hall so no sweat !"

The key is to be the:
"Andhon main kaana raja"
Hi. You seem like the kind of person who knows stuff so i'm gonna ask you. I got 5A*s and 3As in o levels and 1920 inSAT though i'm taking it again in january. What are my chances of getting into LUMS. Also i did really bad in A2 midterms. Matlab Cs ayein gay. Do they count?
Please answer.

Reaction score
Hi. You seem like the kind of person who knows stuff so i'm gonna ask you. I got 5A*s and 3As in o levels and 1920 inSAT though i'm taking it again in january. What are my chances of getting into LUMS. Also i did really bad in A2 midterms. Matlab Cs ayein gay. Do they count?
Please answer.

Alright Spongebob. Well O level grades are good, SAT is given percentage but is more of a formality if you ask me, IF you are going for SSE. But if for Business and all then well yeah its pretty reasonable. Its not like LUMS is the IVY or anything that you need a 2400 pffft. Does your school send in actual grades to LUMS (like JT does) or does it send in all pretty flowery grades no matter what. Well the heaviest percentage and when I say heavy it means HEAVY!, is given to the LUMS tests themselves and I guess O levels too.

But hey its all chances and A levels grades count too. Its all an amalgamation of everything. So beef up your grades and hope for the best. Apply for all other universities too and trust me on this. LUMS is NOT the end of the world.

Reaction score
Alright Spongebob. Well O level grades are good, SAT is given percentage but is more of a formality if you ask me, IF you are going for SSE. But if for Business and all then well yeah its pretty reasonable. Its not like LUMS is the IVY or anything that you need a 2400 pffft. Does your school send in actual grades to LUMS (like JT does) or does it send in all pretty flowery grades no matter what. Well the heaviest percentage and when I say heavy it means HEAVY!, is given to the LUMS tests themselves and I guess O levels too.

But hey its all chances and A levels grades count too. Its all an amalgamation of everything. So beef up your grades and hope for the best. Apply for all other universities too and trust me on this. LUMS is NOT the end of the world.
Okay so i got straight Bs in Mid terms. oh and i have sciences and math in A levels. LUMS KA TEST KHATAM HO GIA HAI. SAT is mandatory now. And i'm appliying to business school.
No our school does not flower our grades (Jt girls :p)

Reaction score

I'm sorry i miss interpreted what you said. :p you know lums ka test cancel ho gia hai

Reaction score
Okay so i got straight Bs in Mid terms. oh and i have sciences and math in A levels. LUMS KA TEST KHATAM HO GIA HAI. SAT is mandatory now. And i'm appliying to business school.

Oh phir tou apnay he log ho ! You shouldn't worry about it too much. You know what they say Lahore Grammar University of Management Sciences. Jahan JT ka naam agaya smjho admission hogya, atleast thats for JT boys. No i did not know the test got cancelled. SSE admission is still in the pipeline.

Dunno about business groups.

Reaction score
If SAT's a must then score good. Best of Luck. Apply for IBA Karachi too. Tafreeh hojai gee ! but LUMS for a lahori is best. Backup plans. Don't be arrogant and apply for LSE too.

Reaction score
Oh phir tou apnay he log ho ! You shouldn't worry about it too much. You know what they say Lahore Grammar University of Management Sciences. Jahan JT ka naam agaya smjho admission hogya, atleast thats for JT boys. No i did not know the test got cancelled. SSE admission is still in the pipeline.

Dunno about business groups.
Lol. Atleast koi tou JT girls ko JT ki branch manta hai. :p
I dont really have an option. Its either LUMS or medical. :p weird. I know.