• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics P6 NOV 2011

Reaction score
Hi guys...
I made this thread especially for those who'll be taking p6, or S1, in the coming days. You may post your last minute queries here.
The maths thread could be a bit too vast if you're done with P1 and P3 and want to focus more on other components.
My experience; Just don't forget to apply continuity correction when approximating a binomial to normal distribution.
Good luck! :)

Reaction score
anything permutation and combination related would be awesome since I tend to have trouble answering questions from that topic! Oh and any tips from that annoying normal distribution >.<
Past papers are sort of easy for now but I will keep you all posted if I need anything!
Thank you for the thread =)

Reaction score
@ 1357913579
i solved one...sorry for the pm dr but it was just getting a bit bulky!

Attachments

• 1111.jpeg
    1111.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 932
Reaction score
A mother has found that 20% of the children who accepts the invitation to her children's birthday parties do not come.
For a Particular party she invites 12 children but only has 10 party hats.
1) What is the Probability that there is not a hat for every child who comes to the party ? [ans :0.275]
The Mother Knows that there is a probability of 0.1 that a children who comes to a party will refuse to wear a hat.
2) If this is taken into account,What is the Probability that there will not be a hat for every child who wants one ? [ans:0.110]

This question is originally from slayers. I have been unable to solve it. Anyone to help out there??

Reaction score
ChrisRedfield said:
anything permutation and combination related would be awesome since I tend to have trouble answering questions from that topic! Oh and any tips from that annoying normal distribution >.<
Past papers are sort of easy for now but I will keep you all posted if I need anything!
Thank you for the thread =)

Don't forget the division part in case of arranging similar objects. For normal, Don't apply c.c if it is already normal,i.e, if it did not start with binomial. That's all I can recall...for now!

Reaction score
anahita16 said:
Hi guys...
I made this thread especially for those who'll be taking p6, or S1, in the coming days. You may post your last minute queries here.
The maths thread could be a bit too vast if you're done with P1 and P3 and want to focus more on other components.
My experience; Just don't forget to apply continuity correction when approximating a binomial to normal distribution.
Good luck! :)

I don't get continuity. Do we only apply continuity correction with continous data. Or when do we apply it? Please help ASAP. exam tommorow

Reaction score
anahita16 said:
Only in questions where it isn't stated that the data follow a normal distribution. For example, in http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Interna ... 8_qp_6.pdf number 7(iii). It said 'using a suitable approximation', that's one clue that u have to use c.correction with normal.

you are a legend. That really clears it up. One more q. if we are to transform a binomial data/ set of values to a normal distribution then c correction applies right?

Reaction score
Yes. I'm not exactly a legend there are candidates far better than me. Thanks for the compliment though! :)

Reaction score
I keep getting Mean = 18.97 and z = 1.282

Thanks for solving my problem.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 2.png
    2.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 140
Reaction score
can you please explain me the permutation and combination problem from te year 2011 mayjune 62 the last part

Reaction score
hey guys plz help i confused smthin.. ive got 12 terms... 1.39, 1.39, 1.46, 1.48, 1.48, 1.50, 1.52, 1.54, 1.60, 1.65, 1.68, 1.72
what is the median? the upper quartile and lower quartile plz explain!! :%) :%)

Reaction score
1357913579 said:
can you please explain me the permutation and combination problem from te year 2011 mayjune 62 the last part

Sorry i took my time wid dat.
(i) 9 letters=9!
But there are repeats, due to which answer becomes 9!/2!2!=90720
(ii) Probability=1-P(all next to each other)
=1- [(7!*3!)/2!2!}/90720
=1- 7560/90720
= 11/12

(iii)One S:
no P means u have only HAINESS available.
You have already chosen S, and you have to eliminate the other S.
That leaves u wid the 5 letters HAINE but u need only 3 of them.
So it becums 5C3=10.
Two SS:
5C2=10
In total, that makes 10+10=20

Reaction score
please solve this question from mayjune 2010 63 question number-3 last part find the variance of the nmber of times they go to park in 30 days