• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
SO Whereever in the formula we see an n we just make that 2n or 2n-1?
The nth term is a function so you can do the same thing as you would do with e.g. f (n ) .

If the nth term is 3n+2 then you can write f(n )=3n+2.

Then e.g. the 4th term is f(4)=3(4)+2 = 14

And e.g. the (n+2)th term is f(n+2) = 3(n+2) + 2 = 3n+8

Reaction score
The nth term is a function so you can do the same thing as you would do with e.g. f (n ) .

If the nth term is 3n+2 then you can write f(n )=3n+2.

Then e.g. the 4th term is f(4)=3(4)+2 = 14

And e.g. the (n+2)th term is f(n+2) = 3(n+2) + 2 = 3n+8
OK OMG TY SO MUCH!!

Reaction score
A question: I really don't understand how to do question number 3 b (ii) and c (ii) and (d) of this paper (http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Mathematics (0580)/0580_s10_qp_42.pdf)
Can anyone please explain? I don't just want the answers. I want someone to explain it to me please?
3bii) What choices do you have for two numbers that total 11? '1 on the first spin and 10 on the second' or '10 on the first spin and 1 on the second'.

P(1 on the first spin and 10 on the second) = 3/6 * 1/6
P(10 on the first spin and 1 on the second) = 1/6 * 3/6

Add the two probabilities together to give the answer.

cii) The spinner has stopped on a 2 so you can ignore every other number. Out of the 2's on the spinner, one is shaded and one isn't so the chance that this 2 is shaded is 1/2.

d) Say the spinner stops on '2' after the second spin (n=2). That means that for the first spin, it didn't stop on 2 and on the second spin it did stop on 2. So,

P(Stops on '2' after the 2nd spin) = P(no '2' on 1st spin) x P('2' on 2nd spin) = 4/6 * 2/6 = 8/36

This is not 16/243 so n is not 2. How about n=3?

P(Stops on '2' after the 3rd spin) = P(no '2' on 1st spin) x P(no '2' on 2nd spin) x P('2' on 3rd spin) = 4/6 * 4/6 * 2/6 = 32/216.

This is not 16/243 so n is not 3. Can you continue this method to find n? You could use algebra for this question but it's not really necessary - I recommend using trial and error with your calculator.

Reaction score
what about 82 or 500? i have both of them
The 82 is fine but I can't find the Casio 500 after a quick search. Do you mean Texet?

But I'm sure it's fine. Any modern Casio calculator that's labelled as a 'scientific calculator' is almost certainly OK.

Reaction score
guys oct 2012 v 42 q 2..... part b can someone explain.. PLX:eek:
As u already have sides AB, CD and BC now u need AD....
use sine rule to find angle ADC....using this angle wich wud be 48.5.....u can find ACD....
180-(48.5+55)=76.5
now use cos rule to find AD....
Add this side to all the other sides and now u have ur perimetre.............
hope it was helpful..........

Reaction score
guys oct 2012 v 42 q 2..... part b can someone explain.. PLX:eek:
For the perimeter you need to sum AB, BC, CD and DA. The only one you don't know is DA so that's what you need to find.

First use the sine rule to find angle CDA. Then you'll know two of the angles of the triangle ACD so you can find the 3rd.

Then you have two choices to find DA, either the sine rule or the cosine rule.

If you're still stuck, please post all your working.

Reaction score
The 82 is fine but I can't find the Casio 500 after a quick search. Do you mean Texet?

But I'm sure it's fine. Any modern Casio calculator that's labelled as a 'scientific calculator' is almost certainly OK.
It says Natural display Scientific calculator fx-500ES

Reaction score
3bii) What choices do you have for two numbers that total 11? '1 on the first spin and 10 on the second' or '10 on the first spin and 1 on the second'.

P(1 on the first spin and 10 on the second) = 3/6 * 1/6
P(10 on the first spin and 1 on the second) = 1/6 * 3/6

Add the two probabilities together to give the answer.

cii) The spinner has stopped on a 2 so you can ignore every other number. Out of the 2's on the spinner, one is shaded and one isn't so the chance that this 2 is shaded is 1/2.

d) Say the spinner stops on '2' after the second spin (n=2). That means that for the first spin, it didn't stop on 2 and on the second spin it did stop on 2. So,

P(Stops on '2' after the 2nd spin) = P(no '2' on 1st spin) x P('2' on 2nd spin) = 4/6 * 2/6 = 8/36

This is not 16/243 so n is not 2. How about n=3?

P(Stops on '2' after the 3rd spin) = P(no '2' on 1st spin) x P(no '2' on 2nd spin) x P('2' on 3rd spin) = 4/6 * 4/6 * 2/6 = 32/216.

This is not 16/243 so n is not 3. Can you continue this method to find n? You could use algebra for this question but it's not really necessary - I recommend using trial and error with your calculator.

Oh, God. Thank you so much! I finally got it. :)
Can you help me out with one more question? (Question 10 c (i) & d) of the same paper. If you can't help or don't want to, its fine. :) I don't want to sound nagging. It just that my method didn't work here and I wanted to know what the correct method was.

Reaction score
Oh, God. Thank you so much! I finally got it. :)
Can you help me out with one more question? (Question 10 c (i) & d) of the same paper. If you can't help or don't want to, its fine. :) I don't want to sound nagging. It just that my method didn't work here and I wanted to know what the correct method was.
It's not nagging - I like helping and am trying to help as many as I can before the exams.

I've helped someone else with this question already: https://www.xtremepapers.com/commun...teacher-post-your-questions-here.24660/page-3

(Posts #58 and #67 on the next page)

Does this help?

Reaction score

for part a find area of semicircle...........subtract the area of circle from this.........divide this value by 2
for part b find the circumference of semi circle and divide it by 2 to get the length of outer arc........add it to the radius of semi circle................then find circumference of the circle/2.....this will be the internal arc.....add this and the abv value......here is ur perimetre.........:)

Reaction score
for part a find area of semicircle...........subtract the area of circle from this.........divide this value by 2
for part b find the circumference of semi circle and divide it by 2 to get the length of outer arc........add it to the radius of semi circle................then find circumference of the circle/2.....this will be the internal arc.....add this and the abv value......here is ur perimetre.........:)
Thank you , i'm retarded for not seeing this, so easy!