• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
My good friend, I already know all of this function calculations. I even answered exactly what you just did.

I think you and I both made a mistake. In the mark scheme the answer is (5-x)/3

I did exactly what you just did but got a different answer from the mark scheme. Because I too got x-5/-3

Actually, I believe there is something wrong with the mark scheme.
it is the same answer as the one we have they multiplied the answer by -1 so the answer is similar ,and give the same answer if you try putting a coefficient of x
If say x was 2 (5-2)/3 = 1 , and in our case 2-5/-3= 1
mark scheme is never wrong buddy ;) ... well mostly

Reaction score
Sorry actually i don't know why, but i remember is supposed to multiply the original lengths with the ratio. But one thing i can tell is that the ratio of the new measurement to the old is 5:4 ( 40:32=5:4) :)

Reaction score
the mark scheme is not wrong--you missed a step

here is the working
Yeah man that is wat i said, but don't you think they accept both answers , wtih multiplicatoin by -1 or without.... ?

Reaction score
Yeah man that is wat i said, but don't you think they accept both answers , wtih multiplicatoin by -1 or without.... ?

they do====the people marking the exams arent that dumb as to mark it wrong

Reaction score
Help im Good at Physics But Have a little problem with math i can get an A but an A* is so difficult and the grade required is usually above 170 can you give me some tips apart from practicing to gurantee a good mark ? thanks a lot

Reaction score
and in paper 4 there is usually a quetions asking find the inequalities for k, so that f(x) = k has only 1 answer or sometimes 3 answers i dont know what to do :p can you please help me :) thanks

Reaction score
oh and one last thing when i have a cylinder but only the top circle is shown and it asks for total surface area should i calculate curved + 1 circle or curved surface area + 2 circles which one of them is not shown :S ?
Unless they said so or it's something like a pipe, the bottom is always covered! So if the top is covered (the bottom is most probably covered, too):

Total Surface Area = Curved Surface Area + 2 ( Are of base i.e. circle )

Reaction score
A diagonal is a line joining two nonconsecutive vertices of a polygon
Line of symmetry means that it can be be cut into ___ different equal parts.
P has 2 lines of symmetry and Q has one.
As far as I know there are only 4 quadrilateral shapes in our syllabus (correct me if I'm wrong). One is square, other is Rhombus, another is parallelogram and the remainder being the Kite.
Parallelogram has no lines of symmetry. Square has 4 lines of symmetry so it cannot be square. We're left with kite and rhombus.
Rhombus has 2 lines of symmetry
figure_53.gif

Kite has only 1 line of symmetry
Kite2.gif

So we just gotta sketch these diagrams in 10 a (i) and (ii)
I'm not so sure about part b)
If you want to know how I did it, here it is

c) Area of kite = 1/2 the area of the diagonals which is 0.5 X 12 X 20 = 120.
d) I'll get back to you on this..

please regarding the last part that is what I donnot know so plz help exams only about one week :cry:

Reaction score
ppl i have a doubt!!...
maths oct nov 2007 paper 2 question 9!!!
will be moost grateful if somebodyy does itt!!!..will be waiting for a reply! ;)

Reaction score
oct nov 2007 papepr 2 question no.9
x2 + 4x - 8 can be written in the form (x+p)2 + q. Find the values of p and q!!!??....anybody? :(

Reaction score
oct nov 2007 papepr 2 question no.9
x2 + 4x - 8 can be written in the form (x+p)2 + q. Find the values of p and q!!!??....anybody? :(

Use the completing square method.
x^2 + 4x -8
x^2 + 2 (x) (2) + (2)^2 - (2)^2 - 8

x^2 + 2 (x) (2) + (2)^2 is equal to (x+2)^2

so

(x+2)^2 - (2)^2 - 8
(x+2)^2 -4 - 8
(x+2)^2 -12
p = 2
q = -12

Reaction score
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Mathematics (0580)/0580_w11_qp_42.pdf

questions 7 part c sometimes it ask for 3 numbers i never knew how to do it :)
When he says the word "tangent"... only one answer is there!
Other cases include where he asks you to make a line e.g. y=x+2 or siomething. And the number of answers is equal to the number of places where it cuts the graph of the curve.

Wherever the graph touches the line, you have to drop down to the x-axis and write down the value obtained :)
A tangent cuts the graph ONLY once... so only one number is required which is the gradient which you are supposed to calculate by using the eqn:

m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

and using 2 points on the tangent to obtain that ;)

Reaction score
When he says the word "tangent"... only one answer is there!
Other cases include where he asks you to make a line. And the number of answers is equal to the number of places where it cuts the graph of the curve.

Wherever the graph touches the line, you have to drop down to the x-axis and write down the value obtained :)
A tangent cuts the graph ONLY once... so only one number is required which is the gradient which you are supposed to calculate by using the eqn:

m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

and using 2 points on the tangent to obtain that ;)
no the tangents questions :p the inequality that satisfiys k , sorry :p i know the tangents its the inequalities that satsifiyes k im have a problem with