• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
for first part just find the point of intersection
second part just draw the graph0.5cosx and find points of intersection whats soo difficult i dont get
Do you mean draw the graph of '0.5 + cosx' ? A 0.5 cos(x) graph won't help here.

Your method would work but it would waste time plus you'd need to draw the graph accurately.

The best method is to estimate where the difference between the curves is 0.5.

Reaction score
Do you mean draw the graph of '0.5 + cosx' ? A 0.5 cos(x) graph won't help here.

Your method would work but it would waste time plus you'd need to draw the graph accurately.

The best method is to estimate where the difference between the curves is 0.5.
yeah it is time consuming but at that time in the paper you do that method which clicks as you dont have time to search for easier one (though u r rite) . it was a typo

Reaction score
yeah it is time consuming but at that time in the paper you do that method which clicks as you dont have time to search for easier one (though u r rite) . it was a typo
It seems like a risky method since the question says, 'Use the graph to solve the equations'.

So by drawing another graph, you're not really doing what is asked. You wouldn't lose a mark here for not following instructions but may in another question.

Reaction score
Two ways to do this question:

You could find the matrices of the two transformations and then multiply the two matrices with the y=x matrix on the left.

Or you could use the unit vector method. Transform the unit vectors (1,0) and (0,1) by the two transformations and write the results as the columns of a matrix.

If you've learnt the transformation matrices then the first method is probably better. If you haven't then I'd go with the second method.

Reaction score
Two ways to do this question:

You could find the matrices of the two transformations and then multiply the two matrices with the y=x matrix on the left.

Or you could use the unit vector method. Transform the unit vectors (1,0) and (0,1) by the two transformations and write the results as the columns of a matrix.

If you've learnt the transformation matrices then the first method is probably better. If you haven't then I'd go with the second method.
Got it, thanks a lot :)

Reaction score
If we substitute 800 it will give us the answer to

1 + 2 + 3 + ... + 798 + 799 + 800

Then if we divide this sum by 2 we get:

1/2 (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + 798 + 799 + 800) = 0.5 + 1 + 1.5 + ... + 399.5 + 400

But this is not what the question is asking for.

Instead, if we substitute 400 into the formula and multiply by 2 we have:

2(1 + 2 + 3 + ... + 398 + 399 + 400) = 2 + 4 + 6 + ... + 796 + 798 + 800

Does this make sense?
OMG THANK U LIKE SOOO MUCH!!!! i hate these stupid sequence question!! so this is the method we always use right?? but u know sometimes they give us the formula for n like in this case and they go like now find the formula for 2n??? or 2n-1? how in the world r we suppose to do that? do u know a method?

Reaction score
OMG THANK U LIKE SOOO MUCH!!!! i hate these stupid sequence question!! so this is the method we always use right?? but u know sometimes they give us the formula for n like in this case and they go like now find the formula for 2n??? or 2n-1? how in the world r we suppose to do that? do u know a method?

substitute 2n or 2n-1 in the place of n....