• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Help please:

Find the number of different ways in which the 9 letters of the word GREENGAGE can be arranged if exactly two of the Gs are next to each other.
The answer is 5040.. but I'm confused because there's 3 Gs and I don't know how to find the # of ways where 2 Gs are separated from the other one.

Simply 'choose' 2 Gs out of 3, and the remaining 7 letters can be completely random!

G G _ _ _ _ _ _ _...............[consider GG to be 'attached' together so that it can alternate in 2! ways]

n = 2! x 3c2 x 7!.................. [but don't forget that there are 3 recurring Es too!]
..............3!
...= 5040...... Q.E.D

Reaction score
Hai there. Can somebody help me to explain all the questions? http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s11_ms_72.pdf Just a brief explanation. I don't have a really good basic s2. So please help me! I am still trying to understand the concepts. Any tips in doing the questions will be greatly appreciated! Thank you..

I recommend you to go through the Examiner's Report: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...d AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s11_er.pdf

Also, you can check out the KhanAcadamy Statistics' playlist for the core concepts: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4C863861E3B2E380

Reaction score
Simply 'choose' 2 Gs out of 3, and the remaining 7 letters can be completely random!

G G _ _ _ _ _ _ _...............[consider GG to be 'attached' together so that it can alternate in 2! ways]

n = 2! x 3c2 x 7!.................. [but don't forget that there are 3 recurring Es too!]
..............3!
...= 5040...... Q.E.D
But there are also 3 Gs... so don't we have to divide by 3! twice?

Reaction score
But there are also 3 Gs... so don't we have to divide by 3! twice?

There is only 1 G that you can possibly alternate. The 2 Gs are fixed/'attached', so that they're always together.

The typical logic of dividing by 3! for the recurring 3Gs doesn't really serve well for this question. Albeit, there are various methods of doing it, I simply outlined mine.

Spend some time in it; you'll definitely get it. :)

Reaction score
Please part 3
The number of goals scored per match by Everly Rovers is represented by the random variable X which has mean 1.8.
(i) State two conditions for X to be modelled by a Poisson distribution.
[2]
Assume now that X ∼ Po(1.8).
(ii) Find P(2 < X < 6).
[2]
(iii) The manager promises the team a bonus if they score at least 1 goal in each of the next 10 matches. Find the probability that they win the bonus. [3]

Reaction score
There is only 1 G that you can possibly alternate. The 2 Gs are fixed/'attached', so that they're always together.

The typical logic of dividing by 3! for the recurring 3Gs doesn't really serve well for this question. Albeit, there are various methods of doing it, I simply outlined mine.

Spend some time in it; you'll definitely get it. :)
I think I get it now. Basically, the 2 Gs are separated as a separate component so there isn't a need to use 3! for them. I think this was a pretty tricky question though. :( P&C sucks.

Reaction score
(iii) To ensure at least one woman chosen, first step is to choose 1 from 3 women, which is 3C1.Then randomly choose the other 2 from the remaining 8 people. Overall it is 3C1 × 8C2 = 84
ohh yeap.. thank you.. gretly appreciated ^^

Reaction score
Care to explain please :)
3 A fair five-sided spinner has sides numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Raj spins the spinner and throws two fair
dice. He calculates his score as follows.
• If the spinner lands on an even-numbered side, Raj multiplies the two numbers showing on
the dice to get his score.
• If the spinner lands on an odd-numbered side, Raj adds the numbers showing on the dice to
get his score.
Given that Raj’s score is 12, find the probability that the spinner landed on an even-numbered side.