• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
When an equation of a plane and equation of a line is given, how do we determine whether the line intersects the plane or not? I know how to find the point of intersection, but if we're asked to tell whether they intersect or not?
by using the discriminant rule
ie) b^2-4ac
if b^2-4ac >0 (2 point intersection)
if b^2-4ac=0 (1 point intersection)
if b^2-4ac<0 (no intersection) thats for P1 and i dont now which paper ur talking about

Maz

Reaction score
Please jun012 no.3 v.13 .. jun012 no.7 v.12 .. jun012 v.11 9)iii . Pure Math As . thanks :)
June-12/12
7) Using the formula given first find the sum of the first 1 term. (sounds funny)
Sn= 1^2 + 8(1)
= 9
Then find of sum of the first two terms
Sn= 2^2 + 8(2)
= 20
subtract the two terms to get the second term
20-9 = 11
and then 11-9 = 2 is the common difference

[i cant seem to be able to solve the second part]

June-12/13
9(iii) Since BC = AD [since its a square], the translation of D from A is the same that of C from B.
i.e. the y-step is 6 and x-step is 2
D= (-3+2, 2+6)
= (-1, 8)

|AD|= use the formula that's all. (x2-x1)^2 - (y2-y1)^2 The whole square root. [i dont know how to type that in]

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
June-12/12
7) Using the formula given first find the sum of the first 1 term. (sounds funny)
Sn= 1^2 + 8(1)
= 9
Then find of sum of the first two terms
Sn= 2^2 + 8(2)
= 20
subtract the two terms to get the second term
20-9 = 11
and then 11-9 = 2 is the common difference

[i cant seem to be able to solve the second part]

June-12/13
9(iii) Since BC = AD [since its a square], the translation of D from A is the same that of C from B.
i.e. the y-step is 6 and x-step is 2
D= (-3+2, 2+6)
= (-1, 8)

|AD|= use the formula that's all. (x2-x1)^2 - (y2-y1)^2 The whole square root. [i dont know how to type that in]

Hope that helps.
Thaaanks a millioooon :)

Reaction score
by using the discriminant rule
ie) b^2-4ac
if b^2-4ac >0 (2 point intersection)
if b^2-4ac=0 (1 point intersection)
if b^2-4ac<0 (no intersection) thats for P1 and i dont now which paper ur talking about

Thanks but you're telling me about coordinate geometry. I asked for vectors in P3. :)
It's ok, I got the explanation though.

Reaction score
How to prepare myself 4 the exam ? :)
do loaaadsss of past papers and the most important thing is to make ur answer to 3 sig. figures because they r so strict on giving final answers to 3 sig figures so imagine u have 11 questions and in every question u lost that A1 mark because ur answer is not to 3 sig figures that means u lost 11 easy marks excluding the mistakes u have made...u need to be able to do every question in the past paper like literally every question..