• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
I put wrong inequalities there!! I am so sorry :/
For the first, it's 1 ≤ f(x) ≤ 3

Period does affect the range!!
E.g
sin(x) will have a range -1 ≤ f(x) ≤ 1 in the domain 0 to 2π
sin(½x) will have a range 0 ≤ f(x) ≤ 1 in the same domain!!
Oh yeah.. I think I got it.
Sin(1/2x) is half a cycle so it does not reach the negative axis! Don't tell me I'm wrong now :p

Reaction score
7 (a) S
n = n² + 8n.
S
1 = 9 → a = 9
S2 = 20 → a + d = 11 → d = 2
(or equating n² + 8n with S
n and comparing
coefficients)
B1
M1 A1
[3]
co
Realises that S
2 is a + (a + d). co
(b) ara =− 9
30 2
arar =+
Eliminates a → 010133
rr =−+
or → 081572
aa =+−
→ r = ⅔
→ a = 27

Marking scheme Rutzaba
wth!! :O
and how did they come up with S1=9 ???? Gosh i'm gonna kill those freakking examiners!!! :O

Dug

Reaction score
Oh yeah.. I think I got it.
Sin(1/2x) is half a cycle so it does not reach the negative axis! Don't tell me I'm wrong now :p
Exactly!! For trig functions, you have to think like that.. It doesn't go lower towards the -1. If you keep the shape, domain and period in mind, you will never be wrong. A simple sketch can also prove very helpful!

Reaction score
no dude part a
the ms is definitely wrong or may be the way theyy have done it is wrong

2Nir6.png

You're freaking out :p

Yea that's the answers i got.. I just shifted the 2 of n/2 to the other side to make it easier to work with:p

i got

d=2
16=2a-d
16=2a-2
2a=18
a=9

Answer

Reaction score
2Nir6.png

You're freaking out :p

Yea that's the answers i got.. I just shifted the 2 of n/2 to the other side to make it easier to work with:p

i got

d=2
16=2a-d
16=2a-2
2a=18
a=9

Answer
i still don't get it... how did u get S1=9 ?? :'( sorry for the big time bother but this question is beating the hell out of me -___-

Reaction score
i still don't get it... how did u get S1=9 ?? :'( sorry for the big time bother but this question is beating the hell out of me -___-
ok i only remember the first part of this question because this is a tricky question so i can't get it out of my mind till this day see

u have the total sum of all the terms formula given..if u substitute 1 in that formula it means u r finding the total sum of 1 term which is 9 so thats our first term got me ?

Reaction score
Ok wow that was really a slap-in-face kind of simple!! :O x_x
thankuu so much iKhaled and MustafaMotani :)
i seriously don't know how these cie people do this!! they just get into ur heads and play mind games with u given just over an hour with them and them not even being present!! :O >__< urgghh

Reaction score
Ok wow that was really a slap-in-face kind of simple!! :O x_x
thankuu so much iKhaled and MustafaMotani :)
i seriously don't know how these cie people do this!! they just get into ur heads and play mind games with u given just over an hour with them and them not even being present!! :O >__< urgghh
CIE examiners r really experts because they know how even if u solved allll the past papers in the world for a subject, the one which u will do in the exam will be different to all of what u did and will be able to trick u!