• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
What part of it do you not understand? Its simple
Get an admath book, it covers this chapter in detail
It would be easier if you could solve this on a copy and write the explanation on the side,would help me understand it.
Sorry dude I haven't covered graphs yet in school. However, do mention anything regarding the 'Binomial Theorem' and the beginning of 'Logs'
I dont know anything about that,havent studied it yet.

Reaction score
It would be easier if you could solve this on a copy and write the explanation on the side,would help me understand it.

I dont know anything about that,havent studied it yet.
:cry: it will bee to time consuming, tell me the concept you dont understand and I will explain
or type out your working and I will correct the mistake if there is any

Reaction score
Can someone help with complete Q11,and the 2 circled parts on the other page?
F.Z.M. 7
Awesome12
MarcoReus
M.Omar
q11(i)
for a quadratic graph of function ..we know tht is either in the shape of U of inverse U depending on the coefficient of x^2
the form of the question is :a(x-h)^2 +c ...c=8 a=-1 and h=2
a<0 so the curve will be of shape inverse U thus it will have a maximum value at the stationary point
we know tht since (x-h)^2 is always positive regardless of any value of x and with a negative coefficient(i.e -1) it will thus always be negative..so for the maximum value we need to make the expression a(x-h)^2 =0 so tht it will not decrease the value of y=8-(x-2)^2 and thus give us the maximum ..comparing with the values given in the question... x shud be 2 to givea -(x-2)^2 =0 and thus give a max value...for this value of x ...find the value of y coordinate which is quite evidently 8
the nature is tht this stationary point is a maximum turning effect

Reaction score
q11(i)
for a quadratic graph of function ..we know tht is either in the shape of U of inverse U depending on the coefficient of x^2
a<0 so the curve will be of shape inverse U thus it will have a maximum value at the stationary point
we know tht since (x-h)^2 is always positive regardless of any value of x and with a negative coefficient(i.e -1) it will thus always be negative..so for the maximum value we need to make the expression a(x-h)^2 =0 so tht it will not decrease the value of y=8-(x-2)^2 and thus give us the maximum ..comparing with the values given in the question... x shud be 2 to givea -(x-2)^2 =0 and thus give a max value...for this value of x ...find the value of y coordinate which is quite evidently 8
Now I was halfway through typing myself -______-
Pahlay kidhr tha ? :p

Reaction score
Can someone help with complete Q11,and the 2 circled parts on the other page?
F.Z.M. 7
Awesome12
MarcoReus
M.Omar
now for the other pg..since we,re asked to find the value of k for which the curve and line r tangent to each other
we first equate them y=6x+k and y=7x^1/2
this becomes 6x+k=7x^1/2
now this gets a bit trickier and u shd take the under root x as only one unit on either sides of equation(i.e alone) and now square the expression i.e (6x+k)^2=(7sqtrtx)^2...this gives
36x^2 +12kx +k^2=49x
u,ll end up with a quadratic equation... and now simply for tangent b^2-4ac=0
and u wil find probably two values of k or if the k^2 terms cancel each other u,ll find a single value
for the other part f(x)= (x-2)^2 -4+k .to find the inverse
let f(x)inverse=y
such tht fy)=x
(y-2)^2-4+k=x
(y-2)^2=x+4-k
y-2=+-(under root(x+4-k))
y=2+-(under root(x+4-k))

Last edited:
Reaction score
q11(i)
Well bro, i got most of that figured out myself, h and k are turning points and they're 2,8 so i got that right.My main problem was in the g(x) functions.Could you solve that out on a page and post?
nikal bhee loon to I cant give the image, my mobile was stolen and now I have 2 megapixel one now
How can I show it to you ?

I can just give you explanation of concepts wo sun lo
Allah khair,tha konsa mobile :p

Reaction score
now for the other pg..since we,re asked to find the value of k for which the curve and line r tangent to each other
we first equate them y=6x+k and y=7x^1/2
this becomes 6x+k=7x^1/2
now this gets a bit trickier and u shd take the under root x as only one unit on either sides of equation(i.e alone) and now square the expression
u,ll end up with a quadratic equation... and now simply for tangent b^2-4ac=0
and u wil find probably two values of k or if the k^2 terms cancel each other u,ll find a single value
for the other part f(x)= (x-2)^2 -4+k .to find the inverse
let f(x)inverse=y
such tht fy)=x
(y-2)^2-4+k=x
(y-2)^2=x+4-k
y-2=+-(under root(x+4-k))
y=2+-(under root(x+4-k))
Could you please please please solve it on a paper?My eyes bleed trying to read out this =P
Thanks for this explanation though.