• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Assalamo Alaikum...
I wanna ask a question about Paper 6 that is S1...
Can anybody explain me about the continuity corrections....that where they would be applied....b/c in some ques they are applied bt in the other they r not....
Plz reply asap.....:)

Reaction score
Assalamo Alaikum...
Can anybody explain me about the continuity corrections....that where they would be applied....b/c in some ques they are applied bt in the other they r not....

I am not sure As I havenot studied it deeply but I can say that itx only applied when the value of meu and varience is big like it could be (50,4) this value is not readable by table so we convert it into standard one by continuity correction .

Reaction score
when you are given f ' (x) as 2x-6 and that the range of function f(x)>= -4 and you have to find the value of x for which f(x) has a stationary value, do you differentiate the f ' (x) agn so that you get f '' (x)= 2 ... then would 2 be the answer?
and to find the original function from f ' (x) do you integrate it to get x^2 - 6x + C?

Reaction score
Assalamo Alaikum...

mate you wish to solve a bionomial probability question with the help of standard normal distribution, then the continuity correction is applied... i can explain its reason as well if you are really interested

Reaction score
when you are given f ' (x) as 2x-6 and that the range of function f(x)>= -4 and you have to find the value of x for which f(x) has a stationary value, do you differentiate the f ' (x) agn so that you get f '' (x)= 2 ... then would 2 be the answer?
and to find the original function from f ' (x) do you integrate it to get x^2 - 6x + C?

i dont think so").. i think just replace x in (f ' ) relation... f " will only indicate the idea of the nature of stationary point... either maximum or minimum...

Reaction score
i dont think so").. i think just replace x in (f ' ) relation... f " will only indicate the idea of the nature of stationary point... either maximum or minimum...
i thought f ' (x) gave us the gradient of the tangent line not the stationary point?

Reaction score

to find original funcyion of f'x u should integrate and to find stationary point jxt put f'x to zero and find value of x no need for double diff.

Reaction score
if i do that i get 2x-6=0, 2x=6, x=3 so 3 is the x value which will give a stationary value and what about the integral i asked about if you want to change f '(x) back into f (x) how would you have done it- i got x^2-6x +c as the answer

Reaction score
Need help with this as well (please draw and show as well)
i) sketch on a single diagram the graphs of y-cos2(theta) and y=1/2 for 0<= (theta)=<2(pi)

ii) write down the number of roots of the equation 2cos2(theta) - 1=0 in the interval 0<= (theta)=< 2(pi)

iii) deduce the number of roots of the equation 2cos2(theta) - 1 =0 in the interval 10(pi)<= (theta) =< 20(pi)

i really don't get the theta and pi stuff, pls explain:confused:

I cannot provide U with the diagram at the moment but can give U an idea.

draw a line of y = 1/2 which is parallel to x axis and will pass through y axis at y =1/2.

and then use the eq. y = cos2(theta put values of theta in it and mark the points drawing a sketch

2pi = 360
pi = 180
pi/2 =90
0pi = 0 the range is from o to 2pi means from o to 360

u will get y= cos2(theta as
y = cos2(o = 1
y = cos2(90 = cos(180 = -1
y= cos2(180 = cos(360 = 1
y = cos2(270 = cos(540 = -1
y = cos2(360 cos (720 = 1

plot these points and form a graph

now look at the intersection of these lines (y=1/2 and y =cos2(theta ) there are four intersections known as there roots

Reaction score
so after integrating it i get x^2 - 6x + C is that correct?

yes itx totaly correct.
if nothing else is given then this is ur ans
but if co-ordinates are given then put the x and y coordinates and solve for C (constant)

Reaction score
I cannot provide U with the diagram at the moment but can give U an idea.

draw a line of y = 1/2 which is parallel to x axis and will pass through y axis at y =1/2.

and then use the eq. y = cos2(theta put values of theta in it and mark the points drawing a sketch

2pi = 360
pi = 180
pi/2 =90
0pi = 0 the range is from o to 2pi means from o to 360

u will get y= cos2(theta as
y = cos2(o = 1
y = cos2(90 = cos(180 = -1
y= cos2(180 = cos(360 = 1
y = cos2(270 = cos(540 = -1
y = cos2(360 cos (720 = 1

plot these points and form a graph

now look at the intersection of these lines (y=1/2 and y =cos2(theta ) there are four intersections known as there roots
so the roots are the four roots shown on the diagram- which is unclear because i am not using a graphing paper- btw changing the scale from radians to degrees is allowed in exams?
and the roots i asked for was for 2cos(2 theta) - 1= 0 not cos(2 theta) and y= 1/2
after which i have to deduce the number of roots for 2cos(2 theta) - 1= 0 for an interval of 10 pi<= (theta)<= 20pi

please check n let me know :)

Reaction score
so the roots are the four roots shown on the diagram- which is unclear because i am not using a graphing paper- btw changing the scale from radians to degrees is allowed in exams?
and the roots i asked for was for 2cos(2 theta) - 1= 0 not cos(2 theta) and y= 1/2
after which i have to deduce the number of roots for 2cos(2 theta) - 1= 0 for an interval of 10 pi<= (theta)<= 20pi

please check n let me know :)

change 2cos2(theta -1 = o by substituting y= cos2(theta
i.e
2y - 1 = o Y is substituted for cos2(theta now it will be y = 1/2

U can see frm graph that at how many positions is this line of y =1/2 cutting the graph (at four)