• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
when a question says a particle is projected and doesnt mention any force.....i have to ignore the force too right?? and what about the initial velocity?? HELP!!

If it is projected vertically upwards and no other force is mentioned, then the only force acting would be the Gravitational Force which means that the Acceleration will be equal to -10 m/s^2. As far as the initial velocity is concerned, it'll either be mentioned that the object is projected vertically from rest or some initial velocity will already be given. There are a few ways through which you can find the initial velocity for example if the greatest height to which the particle has traveled is given or the total time taken is given. It all depends on the question.

Reaction score
i need help with vectors..Distance of a point from a line! this question is from the CIE endorsed book and not frm the pastpapers!
Q) Find the distance of (3,4) from the straight line 3x+ 4y=0
the answer is 5.

Reaction score
AoA wr wb
A box of mass 2kg is projected with speed 6 m/s up a line of greatest slope of a rough plane inclined at 30° to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction is 1/3.Use work energy principle to calculate the distance the box travels up the plane before coming to rest.

Another question i got is abt the work energy theorem formula...i have seen 2 versions of it
Final energy - Initial energy = Work done by engine - Work done by friction
and
Final energy - Initial energy = Work done by engine + Work done by friction

Which ones correct?? Help me plzz

Reaction score
AoA wr wb
A box of mass 2kg is projected with speed 6 m/s up a line of greatest slope of a rough plane inclined at 30° to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction is 1/3.Use work energy principle to calculate the distance the box travels up the plane before coming to rest.

Another question i got is abt the work energy theorem formula...i have seen 2 versions of it
and

What's the answer to this question?

Reaction score
AoA wr wb

and

This one is correct^.

Basically the formula is 'Work done by Engine - Work done by Force = Change in Mechanical Energy'.

Reaction score

This one is correct^.

Basically the formula is 'Work done by Engine - Work done by Force = Change in Mechanical Energy'.
thxxx and wht answer did u get?

Reaction score
M2 edexcel AS and A level modular mathematics.....btw why dont we round our answers to 2 sf to make it the same? :whistle:

Jaf

Reaction score
i need help with vectors..Distance of a point from a line! this question is from the CIE endorsed book and not frm the pastpapers!
Q) Find the distance of (3,4) from the straight line 3x+ 4y=0
the answer is 5.
This is, in essence, an incorrect question to begin with (I think).
The distance of a point from a line is never constant. What can be asked is the distance of a point from another point on a line. You're probably missing some essential detail of the question. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.