• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score

Jaf

Reaction score
It is correct. These values are pretty much normal when finding out values in radians.
It's not right, I think. Since the equation is 3cos2x, the number of cycles from 0 to pi should be 1. I'm only getting half a cycle. :s

Reaction score
It's not right, I think. Since the equation is 3cos2x, the number of cycles from 0 to pi should be 1. I'm only getting half a cycle. :s

The values of 'y' which you've calculated are wrong. This is how the curve should be:

At x=0, y=3
At x=pi/4, y=0
At x=pi/2, y=-3
At x=3pi/4, y = 0
At x=pi, y=3

IMG_1876.JPG

Reaction score
9709_w11_qp_41
Q5 part (ii)
In the MS it says 12cos(alpha) > uR2
the mass slides so the friction is limiting shudnt it be 12cos(alpha) = uR2?

Reaction score
AoA! For those appearing in Mathematics papers this May/June, here are some guidelines that I hope will help you in giving the exam your best shot. I'm posting them here so that all Maths students may come across it. Having received the paper, start with a prayer. In your first attempt, you should ensure that you:

1 - Read the question carefully to avoid any rubric infringements
2. - Do not run through the paper very fast as you would risk making trivial arithmetic slips. Normally, the time given for the paper is very sufficient and thus, you need to make the best possible use of it. Most candidates tend to finish the paper well before time. If you happen to be among such candidates, tell yourself that it is not important to leave the exam hall as soon as possible. What is important is that you make good use of the time available so pace yourself well, leaving enough time for checking.
- Use correct formulas
3. - Avoid arithmetic slips
4. - Quote all non-exact numerical answers correct to 3 sig. fig.s (or 1 d.p in case of angles expressed in degrees).
5. - State your answer clearly at the end
6. - Always avoid a double column format

Specifics
1 - All working should be either exact or at least correct to 4 sig. fig.s
2. - Show maximum working, especially in proofs. An answer or explanation may seem obvious to you but you need to show that to the examiner.
3. - In a 2 mark question, simply stating the answer won’t earn you full marks. So quote your method as well.
4. - Give elaborate reasons. Explanations are better if they are as elaborate as possible.
5. - While making sketches:
· Make detailed sketches, but don’t plot them.
· Use a ruler
· Be aware of the gradients and y-intercepts of straight lines while sketching them.
· Use the same scales for both the x- and y-axes.
6. - In a question on functions, always bear the domain in mind.
7. - If a question gives angles in radians, answers must be in radians. If degrees are used, answers must be in degrees.
8. - Your working should make clear what you’re finding. What length? Which angle?
9. - Do not forget putting the limit x = 0 while evaluating a definite integral.

Final Checks
1 - Check whether your answers seem ‘reasonable’.
2. - Check whether your answer matches the range given in questions involving trigonometry and functions.
3. - Get into the habit of rationalizing the final answer if a surd is present in the denominator. This is essential mathematical decorum.

In the end, check the paper thoroughly no matter how easy it was and how well it went. If you think it didn't go very well, still check it well as you may able to make corrections that escaped your mind in the first attempt.
Remember: In this exam (and all others), your only aim is doing your very best and nothing else. So don't aim for anything other than making your best attempt. Your best friends during the paper should be vigilance, clarity and precision.

Good luck everyone! :)

Reaction score
9709_w11_qp_41
Q5 part (ii)
In the MS it says 12cos(alpha) > uR2
the mass slides so the friction is limiting shudnt it be 12cos(alpha) = uR2?

As the box has started to slide, the applied force must be greater than the frictional force.

F>uR

The Reaction Force (normal component) is:

20 - 12 sin a
20 - 7.2

F>uR
12 cos a > 12.8u
9.6 > 12.8u
3/4 > u

Reaction score
AoA! For those appearing in Mathematics papers this May/June, here are some guidelines that I hope will help you in giving the exam your best shot. I'm posting them here so that all Maths students may come across it. Having received the paper, start with a prayer. In your first attempt, you should ensure that you:

1 - Read the question carefully to avoid any rubric infringements
2. - Do not run through the paper very fast as you would risk making trivial arithmetic slips. Normally, the time given for the paper is very sufficient and thus, you need to make the best possible use of it. Most candidates tend to finish the paper well before time. If you happen to be among such candidates, tell yourself that it is not important to leave the exam hall as soon as possible. What is important is that you make good use of the time available so pace yourself well, leaving enough time for checking.
- Use correct formulas
3. - Avoid arithmetic slips
4. - Quote all non-exact numerical answers correct to 3 sig. fig.s (or 1 d.p in case of angles expressed in degrees).
5. - State your answer clearly at the end
6. - Always avoid a double column format

Specifics
1 - All working should be either exact or at least correct to 4 sig. fig.s
2. - Show maximum working, especially in proofs. An answer or explanation may seem obvious to you but you need to show that to the examiner.
3. - In a 2 mark question, simply stating the answer won’t earn you full marks. So quote your method as well.
4. - Give elaborate reasons. Explanations are better if they are as elaborate as possible.
5. - While making sketches:
· Make detailed sketches, but don’t plot them.
· Use a ruler
· Be aware of the gradients and y-intercepts of straight lines while sketching them.
· Use the same scales for both the x- and y-axes.
6. - In a question on functions, always bear the domain in mind.
7. - If a question gives angles in radians, answers must be in radians. If degrees are used, answers must be in degrees.
8. - Your working should make clear what you’re finding. What length? Which angle?
9. - Do not forget putting the limit x = 0 while evaluating a definite integral.

Final Checks
1 - Check whether your answers seem ‘reasonable’.
2. - Check whether your answer matches the range given in questions involving trigonometry and functions.
3. - Get into the habit of rationalizing the final answer if a surd is present in the denominator. This is essential mathematical decorum.

In the end, check the paper thoroughly no matter how easy it was and how well it went. If you think it didn't go very well, still check it well as you may able to make corrections that escaped your mind in the first attempt.
Remember: In this exam (and all others), your only aim is doing your very best and nothing else. So don't aim for anything other than making your best attempt. Your best friends during the paper should be vigilance, clarity and precision.

Good luck everyone! :)
Thanks a lot bro!
(y)

Reaction score
As the box has started to slide, the applied force must be greater than the frictional force.

F>uR

The Reaction Force (normal component) is:

20 - 12 sin a
20 - 7.2

F>uR
12 cos a > 12.8u
9.6 > 12.8u
3/4 > u
But F is not the applied force...F is limiting friction ryt? o_O

Reaction score
Yes, its Applied Force > Frictional Force. I have written Frictional Force as 'uR'.
thxx 1 more question.....i just went through a ms and deduced dis property from a questn..
f(x) = asdsad for the domain a > x > b
now the inverse will hav the the range a > f(x) > b
is dis correct?

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am getting into some troubles with complex numbers in polar form! The question is like this: If arg(z-1)= pi/6 and arg(z-1)= pi/3, find arg(z). I really don't understand. Please help me, I am in a hurry right now. I would be very grateful! Thank you

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am getting into some troubles with complex numbers in polar form! The question is like this: If arg(z-1)= pi/6 and arg(z-1)= pi/3, find arg(z). I really don't understand. Please help me, I am in a hurry right now. I would be very grateful! Thank you

Please let me know the answer to this question.