• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Since u got k = 2 , the eq:
y = 2x^2 -3x +5
y = 5x-3

By equating (simultaneous eq):
2x^2 -3x +5 = 5x-3
2x^2 -3x -5x +5 +3 =0
2x^2 - 8x + 8 =0
2 (x^2 - 4x + 4) =0
2(x-2)(x-2) = 0
Hence, x= 2

When x=2 , y = 5(2) - 3 = 7
(2 , 7)
thanx:)

Reaction score
can anyone help with the friction in mechanics m1?
it has been a pain in the ass
so plz if there are any revision sheets provide me with them

Reaction score
can anyone help with the friction in mechanics m1?
it has been a pain in the ass
so plz if there are any revision sheets provide me with them

Just remember the basic idea of frictional force as one opposing the motion of an object.

However, if you are looking at a stationary object, make sure you consider the static coefficient of friction. Do also note
the direction in which the object has a tendency to move so as to determine how the frictional force would act.

I have solved some problems on my site related to mechanics, you may wish to take a look:

http://www.whitegroupmaths.com/2011/10/problem-2-mechanics.html

http://www.whitegroupmaths.com/2011/10/problem-6-double-incline-aka-wedge.html

Hope these help. Peace.

Reaction score
The complex number 2/-1+i is denoted by u.

1) Find the modulus and argument of u and u^2.

Can someone help me to solve this question? :)

Reaction score
The complex number 2/-1+i is denoted by u.

1) Find the modulus and argument of u and u^2.

Can someone help me to solve this question? :)
ok, when you have a question in that form u need to change it to the form x+ yi and to do this u multiply the denominator by the conjugate (1-i) and u multiply the nominator by the conjugate so..

2/1+i = 2(1-i)/(1+i)(1-i) = 2-2i/(1^2 + 1^2) = 1-i

the mod of |1-i| = √(1^2 + 1^2) = √2
arg (z) = tan^-1 (-1/1)
u^2 = (1-i)(1-i) = -2i

that's all, hope u got it bro!

Reaction score
Hey. I need some help in Finding the area bounded by a curve and the y-axis and Volume of revolution about the y-axis. I study using examsolutions.net and this topic isn't there yet. I have the CIE A-Level Mathematics Pure 1 book with a black cover and some sea shell thingy, and I cant find this topic there either. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hey. I need some help in Finding the area bounded by a curve and the y-axis and Volume of revolution about the y-axis. I study using examsolutions.net and this topic isn't there yet. I have the CIE A-Level Mathematics Pure 1 book with a black cover and some sea shell thingy, and I cant find this topic there either. Any help would be appreciated.

i assume u have no problem with rev about x-axis..also, I can only give a brief explanation here but i hope u get it:

volume around x-axis = pi int(y^2) dx, and then put the limits
if the question says find volume about y-axis, simply make 'x' the subject and then V= pi int(x^2) dx
Now, if you are given the limits for y, simply put the values and get the result..If you are only given the values of x, then put them in the equation and get the limits for y.

e.g
y=x^2 ; Find the volume of rev when the region between x=1 and x=5 and the curve 'y' is rotated about y-axis.

> make x subject: x= √y
> we are only given x-coordinates but to revolve around y-axis we nede y-coordinates: when x=1, y=1..when x= 5, y=25.....so our limits are 1 and 25
> square and integrate: V= pi int(√y)^2 dy =>V=pi int(y) dy ==> V=pi (y^2 /2) with limits 1 , 25.
the rest is simple calculation...hope i helped

Reaction score
i assume u have no problem with rev about x-axis..also, I can only give a brief explanation here but i hope u get it:

if the question says find volume about y-axis, simply make 'x' the subject and then V= pi int(x^2) dx
Now, if you are given the limits for y, simply put the values and get the result..If you are only given the values of x, then put them in the equation and get the limits for y.

e.g
y=x^2 ; Find the volume of rev when the region between x=1 and x=5 and the curve 'y' is rotated about y-axis.

> we are only given x-coordinates but to revolve around y-axis we nede y-coordinates: when x=1, y=1..when x= 5, y=25.....so our limits are 1 and 25
> square and integrate: V= pi int(√y)^2 dy =>V=pi int(y) dy ==> V=pi (y^2 /2) with limits 1 , 25.

I have written extensive material regarding volume of revolution on my website here:

http://www.whitegroupmaths.com/2010/02/understanding-matters-5.html

Hope it helps. Peace.

Reaction score
Can someone help me out with this integration sum?

Use a substitution of the form ax+b=u to find the integral for x/(2x+3)

The answer's x/2 - 3 ln |2x+3| +k
But I got x/2 +3/4 - 3 ln |2x+3| +k

I'd very much appreciate if you showed all the steps please.

Reaction score
Can someone help me out with this integration sum?

Use a substitution of the form ax+b=u to find the integral for x/(2x+3)

The answer's x/2 - 3 ln |2x+3| +k
But I got x/2 +3/4 - 3 ln |2x+3| +k

I'd very much appreciate if you showed all the steps please.

taking sub u=2x+3:
du/dx = 2
dx=du/2

x=(u-3)/2

insert values in original eq:
=> ⌡{u-3)/2}/u du/2
take 1/4 outside: 1/4 ⌡(u-3)/u du
simplify: 1/4 ⌡1 - (3/u) du
integrate: 1/4 [u - 3lnu] + k
replace u by x: 1/4[(2x+3) - 3ln|2x+3|] +k
simplify: x/2 + 3/4 -3/4 ln|2x+3| + k

mine includes one more term too..are u sure that answer is correct??

Reaction score

e.g

Thank you very much. Can you please tell me about the AREA bounded by a curve and the y-axis too?

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Can you please tell me about the AREA bounded by a curve and the y-axis too?
Its the same thing except that you don't have to square and don't need to put pi....but there are certain cases where u have to be careful e.g the area bounded by the sine curve and x-axis..u have to calculate the negative and positive part separately..u will have to do the same for y-axis

Reaction score

e.g

What's funny is that ( y ) turned into (y)

Reaction score
Its the same thing except that you don't have to square and don't need to put pi....but there are certain cases where u have to be careful e.g the area bounded by the sine curve and x-axis..u have to calculate the negative and positive part separately..u will have to do the same for y-axis
Can you do an example too?