• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w08_qp_1.pdf

The last question's last part , I'm getting one of the signs wrong for some reason. They changed the equation when taking the inverse? :\
If someone could do it with steps included I'd love them forever .
h(x) = 6x−x^2
= - (x^2 - 6x)
= - [ (x-3)^2 - 9]
= 9 - (x-3)^2

To find h*inverse*
Let y = h(x)
y = 9 - (x-3)^2
(x-3)^2 = 9 - y
x - 3 = (+or -) *root* 9 - y
x = (+or -) [*root* 9 - y ] + 3

Since the domain is positive, we take the positive root.
Therefore h*inverse* = [*root* 9 - x ] + 3

Reaction score
h(x) = 6x−x^2
= - (x^2 - 6x)
= - [ (x-3)^2 - 9]
= 9 - (x-3)^2

To find h*inverse*
Let y = h(x)
y = 9 - (x-3)^2
(x-3)^2 = 9 - y
x - 3 = (+or -) *root* 9 - y
x = (+or -) [*root* 9 - y ] + 3

Since the domain is positive, we take the positive root.
Therefore h*inverse* = [*root* 9 - x ] + 3

The part I highlighted, how come you took 9 to the other side but changed the sign of 'y' ?

Reaction score
I didnt move the 9. I switched - (x-3)^2 with y. Got it now?

Not exactly, why are you equating the equation while finding the inverse?
This is what I did.

To find H inverse
Let y = h(x)

h(x)= 9-(x-3)^2
h(x)-9= (x-3)^2
*root*h(x)-9= x-3
[*root*h(x)-9]+3 = x

H inverse = [*root*h(x)-9]+3 where as yours and the MS's is "9-x" instead of "x-9"

EDIT: I undestand what you did, but why is my method wrong?

Reaction score
Not exactly, why are you equating the equation while finding the inverse?
This is what I did.

To find H inverse
Let y = h(x)

h(x)= 9-(x-3)^2
h(x)-9= (x-3)^2
*root*h(x)-9= x-3
[*root*h(x)-9]+3 = x

H inverse = [*root*h(x)-9]+3 where as yours and the MS's is "9-x" instead of "x-9"

EDIT: I undestand what you did, but why is my method wrong?

"To find H inverse
Let y = h(x)

h(x)= 9-(x-3)^2
h(x)-9= - (x-3)^2

The '-'... U omitted it! :) Correction in red

Reaction score
some body!!!! please help poor me!! i'm sitting on this question since morning! can anyone help me in 9709_w12_qp_31 question 10 ii

Reaction score
Hello for statistics p6 i am having difficulities for finding the variance .. it's equation is 1/n sigma (x-random number)^2 - mean^2 ... however the mean to be calculated differ sometimes i dnt know why, i need to find something called the coded mean not the ordinary mean .. I need help to know when should I have to place the coded mean in the mean to be deducted, rather than the ordinary .. take number 1 of this exam as example http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s07_qp_6.pdf .... http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s07_ms_6.pdf

Thank You

Reaction score
pLz help this question. its from book.

For a biased cubical dice the probability of any particular score between 1 and 6 (inclusive) being obtained is inversely proportional to that score. Find the probability of scoring a 1.

Reaction score

Q5.(i) Apply continuity correction. If u are rounding off a number to 84, it must be in the range 83.5<X<84.5. Now calculate the probability of the result ( by converting the data to normal distribution by subtracting mean from each value and dividing by standard deviation)

(ii) Simply calculate P(X>87)- no need to apply continuity correction since there is no mention of rounding off numbers. U will get 0.3282
now convert the data to binomial distribution: X - B(5,0.3282) and calculate the result for P(X=0) + P(X=1) (at most 1 out of 5 trials- I'm assuming you'd be knowing how to evaluate this expression)

(iii) Convert data to normal distribution
Fi{(k-82)/under root 126} - Fi(5/under root 126) = 0.3
The rest is all simple algebra.
Please let me know if you still have a confusion. :)