• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Will we get full marks if we got our final answer correct but very short working? It is 6 marks but I got correct? Or you have to do the long way? Like if Find length AB given the line r=something and meets at plane p at A and plane q at B. Find AB length (June 2010 paper 32)

It's better you show all the steps for whichever method you choose. Because with vectors there's always more than one way to obtain answer. You can do whatever way seems easy or short to you but show how you've done it.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Here's what i've done:

argu = arg( (1+2i)/(1-3i) )
argu = arg(1+2i) - arg(1-3i)
arg(-1/2 + i/2) = tan^-1(2) - tan^-1(-3)
tan^-1(-1) = tan^-1(2) + tan^(3)
3π/4 = tan^-1(2) + tan^-1(3)

Hope you got it :)
yup i did that, in a pretty messy way thou. lol ... Thanku thanku! :)

Reaction score

Wa laikum as salaam :)

S denotes integration

S (9-h)^-1/3
Now to integrate this you multiply by 3/2 and divide by -1. This gives -3/2
If you're wondering why we divide by -1, it's the coefficient of h. And when we integrate we divide by the coefficient of the variable.

Reaction score

S denotes integration

S (9-h)^-1/3
If you're wondering why we divide by -1, it's the coefficient of h. And when we integrate we divide by the coefficient of the variable.
oh right! Thank you so much for that :)

Reaction score

S denotes integration

S (9-h)^-1/3
why do we divide by 3/2 ? i hope i dont sound dumb?! :oops:

Reaction score
why do we divide by 3/2 ? i hope i dont sound dumb?! :oops:

Lol no you don't
Actually what you're doing is dividing by (n+1). In this case n=-1/3
n+1=2/3
So when you divide by 2/3, it is the same as multiplying by 3/2

Reaction score
Lol no you don't
Actually what you're doing is dividing by (n+1). In this case n=-1/3
n+1=2/3
So when you divide by 2/3, it is the same as multiplying by 3/2
OMG!!! i feel so dumbo! u know what i read (9-h)^-1 is divided by '3'...hahaha ! i know that thing thou...lol thanks anyway.... c

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me q10 (iii)... i've been stuck on it for a while now... please help guys :/
Also please explain q7(iii) and q8(i).. in q8(i) i keep getting -10 instead of just 10u.. Just explain that point where im making the mistake.. thanks alot :D
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s12_qp_32.pdf
Marking scheme: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s12_ms_32.pdf

Q7iii)

Here's what i've done:

argu = arg( (1+2i)/(1-3i) )
argu = arg(1+2i) - arg(1-3i)
arg(-1/2 + i/2) = tan^-1(2) - tan^-1(-3)
tan^-1(-1) = tan^-1(2) + tan^(3)
3π/4 = tan^-1(2) + tan^-1(3)

Hope you got it :)

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me q10 (iii)... i've been stuck on it for a while now... please help guys :/
Also please explain q7(iii) and q8(i).. in q8(i) i keep getting -10 instead of just 10u.. Just explain that point where im making the mistake.. thanks alot :D
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s12_qp_32.pdf
Marking scheme: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s12_ms_32.pdf

As for Q8i) you're getting -10. that's correct. now you have to change signs because the limits have been exchanged. If you notice the limits are supposed to be (6-5)^1/2 and (6-2)^1/2
1 being your upper limit and 2 being the lower limit. However the question asks ask to write 2 as the upper limit and 1 as the lower limit. So when you exchange these limits you have to change the sign

Sounds a bit confusing but think about it, you'll get it

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w12_qp_33.pdf
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w12_ms_33.pdf

Q7iii) In such cases where they haven't given the initial value for the iteration formula, we just assume it to be 0 ?
MustafaMotani Told ya, I'd annoy you :p

Also, in complex numbers what is the square root of i ?

I dont know what sould be the initial value in such cases .. I think situation hints us what to take ...

square root of i = 1/root2 + i/root2

Reaction score
I dont know what sould be the initial value in such cases .. I think situation hints us what to take ...

square root of i = 1/root2 + i/root2

Well in this case, there isn't any hint. And I did get the answer by taking 0, but I'm not sure if that's right.

Is there any method to arrive at 1/root2 + i/root2 ? Or it's just something we should know? I'm not exactly able to solve root of i

Reaction score
Well in this case, there isn't any hint. And I did get the answer by taking 0, but I'm not sure if that's right.

Is there any method to arrive at 1/root2 + i/root2 ? Or it's just something we should know? I'm not exactly able to solve root of i

i^(1/2) = a + ib
i = (a + ib)^2
i = a^(2) + 2abi - b^(2)
a^(2) - b^(2) = 0 , 2ab = 1

solve them simultaneously

Reaction score

may be then its okay.. but i cant guarantee it ..