• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
I dont understand the last step, the one right before the final answer..
How does the denominator finalize to become 1? I know that the numerator is the answer we're trying to reach, okay. But the denominator should be 1, now how does 1 + (tant) (tan 1/4pi) equate to 1? (tan 1/4pi) is equal to 1 not zero, so how did tant get cancelled off? Shouldn't it be, tant - (tan 1/4pi) / (tan 1/4pi) + tant ?
I don't think it's possible to substitute 1 with (tan 1/4pi) only in the numerator..

Please do explain.
i think he multiplied it with a conjugate

Reaction score
the vector move step is pretty easy, you have to look at A and B look at how many x steps it takes and how many y steps it takes and in what direction for you to move from A to B or vice versa for example, look at A to B, it moves from 2 to -2 in x direction, so use this:
Final position - initial position
(-2) - (2) = -4 so 4 steps back in x direction
and for y direction:
8 - 14 = -6 so six steps down.
Now you can find the co ordinates for D using equation of line and stuff and then use this translation to find the co ordinates for C.
Are you sure that is the method?

Reaction score
I dont find anything "degrading on this intellectual forum".But anyways i dont bother all this.Nice explanation :) .But my question is that the gradient of tangent and curve will be the same at that point ryt?.So how are u supposed to find the angle my friend?
LOL I am not even going to bother explaining this now, just re read what I explained, it is very clear. I'm talking about two different points here.

Reaction score

Attachments

• y = 3cos2x.png
    y = 3cos2x.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
I dont understand the last step, the one right before the final answer..
How does the denominator finalize to become 1? I know that the numerator is the answer we're trying to reach, okay. But the denominator should be 1, now how does 1 + (tant) (tan 1/4pi) equate to 1? (tan 1/4pi) is equal to 1 not zero, so how did tant get cancelled off? Shouldn't it be, tant - (tan 1/4pi) / (tan 1/4pi) + tant ?
I don't think it's possible to substitute 1 with (tan 1/4pi) only in the numerator..

Please do explain.
I think you are forgetting the fact that tan (A-B) = (tan A - tan B) / (1+(tanA)*(tanB))
so the denominator was 1+tan t right?
so we can write this as 1+ (tant *1)
and now 1 = tan 0.25pi and we can substitute this without causing any problems to our equation :p
and this can be turned into tan (t-0.25pi)