• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

maths paper 4 HELLLLPPPP

Reaction score
My explanation

Well if it was a stretch, the triangle would have usually lengthened in one direction only - either parallel to the x-axis or parallel to the y-axis.

In case of a shear, as in the question, the object being sheared would appear to be made of different layers and each layer would have slid a different amount relative to a fixed line.

Simply speaking, if it was a stretch, the co-ordinates of triangle X would be (-1,2), (-4,2) and (-4,7).

However it is also important to accept the possibility that a stretch can take place in more than one direction but fortunately or unfortunately, I don't think that an IGCSE student is required to think to such an extent in that perspective as I've never seen a past paper question on transformations with an object being simultaneously stretched in two or more directions.

So, think simple !!! :)

Hope that helped !!! :D

Cheers !!! :good: