• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths Paper 4.. " How On Earth" DOUBTS QUESTIONS!

Reaction score
bro im away from.home for few days so dont have access to laptop. i hope some1 answers ur questions. but in case nobody does dnt worry just keep compiling i'll try when i get back :)
thanks for replying BRO! :D:D no worries! i swear when i saw ahmadumar quoted your post. i was like thank god! :D

no worries. still have some days for paper! :D

Reaction score
thanks for replying BRO! :D:D no worries! i swear when i saw ahmadumar quoted your post. i was like thank god! :D

heheheh awwwww bro :'))
i am really really sorry for not being able to reply u now. please forgive me.
do alot pprs and mark them urself and write the total and then go over the wrong ones. and also if u know u r weak on any topic, open that topic in the book and do questions from there :)

Reaction score
Need help ASAP!

I'm stuck on this question, from O580/43/O/N/13 (October November 2013, 43, IGCSE)

It's Question 9ci and 9cii

c) The total number of lines in the first n diagram is 1/2n^3 + pn^2 + qn

i) When n=1, show that p+q=8.5

ii) By choosing another value of n and using the equation in part (c)(i), find the values of p and q.

Link to the paper: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Mathematics (0580)/0580_w13_qp_43.pdf

Reaction score
Need help ASAP!

I'm stuck on this question, from O580/43/O/N/13 (October November 2013, 43, IGCSE)

It's Question 9ci and 9cii

c) The total number of lines in the first n diagram is 1/2n^3 + pn^2 + qn

i) When n=1, show that p+q=8.5

ii) By choosing another value of n and using the equation in part (c)(i), find the values of p and q.

Link to the paper: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Mathematics (0580)/0580_w13_qp_43.pdf
c) i) it says when n=1, show that p+q=8.5
so do 1/2n^3 + pn^2 + qn = 9 (number of lines of first diagram is 9)
substitute "1" in place of "n"
you get 1/2 + p + q = 9
so 1/2 + 8.5 = 9 :3

Reaction score
Please solve these..
i can help you with the first qjestion i.e water and lemonade question
make a simultaneous question out of it and solve it get w and l. the value you get for w is the final answer
therefore
2w+3L=36 (w for water and L for lemonade)
L-w=0.25
these are the two eqjations you have i hope you can solve them out simultanously

the for follwing quest it tells us y+Y=1
so again you need to equat it like this
from the small triangle imagine you wanted to make y the subject how would it be like
it would be 5/x
and like wise from the big triangle make Y the subject which would be 6/(x+2)
the make the final equation according to "y+Y=1"
which would be:
5/x+6/(x+2)=1
5x+10+6x/(x^2+2)=(1)
i hope you are able to solve it until its max and end up until the requirement
i couldve helped you with the other two papers but im unable to open them for some reason
for the last two questions (x^2-9x-10) the answer is (x-10)(x+1) get it by factorising the expression and for the perimeter find the answer of the equation (x^2+9x-10=0) where you will get x=-1 or x=10 take the postive value sincea legnth cant be negative substitute into the x and get the perimeter
hope i helped

Reaction score
i can help you with the first qjestion i.e water and lemonade question
make a simultaneous question out of it and solve it get w and l. the value you get for w is the final answer
therefore
2w+3L=36 (w for water and L for lemonade)
L-w=0.25
these are the two eqjations you have i hope you can solve them out simultanously

the for follwing quest it tells us y+Y=1
so again you need to equat it like this
from the small triangle imagine you wanted to make y the subject how would it be like
it would be 5/x
and like wise from the big triangle make Y the subject which would be 6/(x+2)
the make the final equation according to "y+Y=1"
which would be:
5/x+6/(x+2)=1
5x+10+6x/(x^2+2)=(1)
i hope you are able to solve it until its max and end up until the requirement
i couldve helped you with the other two papers but im unable to open them for some reason
for the last two questions (x^2-9x-10) the answer is (x-10)(x+1) get it by factorising the expression and for the perimeter find the answer of the equation (x^2+9x-10=0) where you will get x=-1 or x=10 take the postive value sincea legnth cant be negative substitute into the x and get the perimeter
hope i helped
Yes You really helped! thaanks alot! :D

Reaction score
Pleaaaaaaaase help me with this stuff someone!
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Mathematics (0580)/0580_w13_qp_41.pdf
Call me dumb but I've been stuck on it for ever!
All the questions are from this paper itself..
Questions : 4 d
10 v
I'd be really grateful!
4d: connect a line from A to BD and obtain a right angled triangle.
next, use the sine rule. i.e. sine 40= (shortest distance/55)
therefore, shortest distance is 55 * sine 40
which is 33.35

Reaction score
4d: connect a line from A to BD and obtain a right angled triangle.
next, use the sine rule. i.e. sine 40= (shortest distance/55)
therefore, shortest distance is 55 * sine 40
which is 33.35
But how can we be so sure that the line is the shortest distance and that we're forming a right angled triangle?

Reaction score
But how can we be so sure that the line is the shortest distance and that we're forming a right angled triangle?
you must connect a straight line from A to BD and it will form a right angle triangle as you're splitting the triangle ABD into two, which i guess is an isosceles? and i assure you that it is the only way of finding the shortest distance; connect it on the diagram for easier use.

Reaction score
you must connect a straight line from A to BD and it will form a right angle triangle as you're splitting the triangle ABD into two, which i guess is an isosceles? and i assure you that it is the only way of finding the shortest distance; connect it on the diagram for easier use.
Thanks sooo very much!!! I've been stuck on this for soo long! I'd be delighted to pay you back! Feel free to ask me if you need some help too :)
Oh and could also try Q10 v of this same paper plzz..

Reaction score
use the quadratic equation by formula method
a = 2, b = -5, c = -6
x = -b(+or-) square root of [(b square)-4(a)(c)]/2(a)

Reaction score
quote="dubi2pro, post: 775153, member: 87748"]thanks for replying BRO! :D:D no worries! i swear when i saw ahmadumar quoted your post. i was like thank god! :D

no worries. still have some days for paper! :D[/quote]
dont you do IGCSE cie?my maths paper 4 is tomorrow when is yours?

Reaction score
quote="dubi2pro, post: 775153, member: 87748"]thanks for replying BRO! :D:D no worries! i swear when i saw ahmadumar quoted your post. i was like thank god! :D

dont you do IGCSE cie?my maths paper 4 is tomorrow when is yours?[/quote]
Ive got the same! :S