• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths Query!

Reaction score
Hello, can anybody solve this equation: X - Sin(X) = π(pi)/2

Please explain the solution fully!

Reaction score
Arranging the equation, u can get x= sin(x) + (pi/2)
sketch these graphs, u will get an idea where they intersect
Then iterate , u will get a root!!
or you can arrange in the form; sin x= x - (pi/2)
then x(n+1) =sin-1( X(n) - (pi/2))
iterate till u get the root!!
Reply if u got it

Reaction score
azagen said:
Arranging the equation, u can get x= sin(x) + (pi/2)
sketch these graphs, u will get an idea where they intersect
Then iterate , u will get a root!!
or you can arrange in the form; sin x= x - (pi/2)
then x(n+1) =sin-1( X(n) - (pi/2))
iterate till u get the root!!
Reply if u got it
I know about the graphical way, but how can we exactly find the roots? There should be any other algebric method to solve the equation? =s And sorry, I didn't understand your second way of solving this? =s

Reaction score
the easy way of solving this eqn using iteration (iteration is not included in AS but in A2). there's another way which is also not included in AS. However, i am not sure whether there is any algebraic method to solve it. Can't think of any......

Reaction score
hey, the graphical way is just to get an idea about the approximate root.
we use that approximate to get our iteration faster.
Suppose the actual root is 1.23456789
By sketching you can deduce that the root lies between 1 and 2. Then you just plug any value between 1 and 2 to iterate.
Iteration can give you the root to any decimal places you want but it ten becomes time consuming!!

Reaction score
Oh, well! I'm in AS Level and I don't know about 'Iteration', even I studied Additional Maths of O levels. And the questions asks to give the answer to 2 decimal places, so it means that approximation method may not be applied. So any other way, please?

Reaction score
azagen said:
Hey Xenon, what is the other mathod?
Is it Newton method??

No no, I am talking about selecting two values of x and checking the signs of the answer.. as the book says 'Decimal search'.

Reaction score
Yeah , I know it
It is pretty time consuming!1
I only use it to show that a root lies between two values!!!

Reaction score
So is there no other method except iteration and drawing graph? :/

If iteration is in A2, then why this question has been asked in P1? :(

Reaction score
P1? :?:
then bro, give the provide the complete question, if its from past papers then mention the question number and year as well...

Reaction score
I guess that it's solution isn't linked with the whole questions. Anyways, I'm attaching the question - it's an image of mobile, zoom it if you can't read it properly. IT's from CIE endorsed P1 book. Solve part(b)

Attachments

• Salman0721.jpg
    Salman0721.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 60
Reaction score
Well, the question did not specifically asked u to find to theta.
I think u can also do it like this way,
rearrange which gives X - sin X - pi/2=0
let f(X)= X - sin X - pi/2
when X = 2.31,
f(2.31)= 1.9839 x 10^-4
which is approximately zero
thus x = 2.31

Reaction score
But from the wording correct to 2 decimal places, doesn't it seen that the questions wants us to solve the equation? =s
Anyways, thanks!

msk

Reaction score
We have done this question...this question has to be done by ittratin but as it is not in P1 syllabus solve this equation using your calcultaor.....Our teacher told us this method and dont worry this question wont come in exams :D

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, this question is extracted from the endorsed A level mathematics textbook which does contain some material which has never been asked in any of the recent past papers..(2003 onward)
So, you can just skip such questions and cope with those questions what closely match the syllabus content.. ;)

Reaction score
As far as I know, verifying a solution means that you just plug the value and if RHS=LHS then you can say it is verified.
In A2, we are often given a quadratic equation with no real roots
for example: 3(X^2)-x+7=0 and it asks us to verify that for e.g 2i-3 is a root, then we find (2i-3)^2 and we substitute in the left hand side(LHS) and if it reduces to zero, that is RHS=LHS , then it is verified that 2i-3 is a root.