• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths significant figures

Reaction score
If I write Maths answers in more than 3 significant figures, and the question carry only 1 mark.... Will I get the mark or not?

Reaction score
if it is wriiten to write correct to three sig figueres then u may lose marks other wise it's ok

Reaction score
you should always give your answers correct to three significant figures, its clearly written on the instructions unless the degree has been stated.

Reaction score
Well these stupid godamn CIE people!!! The only thing they do well is confuse candidates. See w10 ms 21 for instance. In qst5 not one ans is given in 3sf...... How the hell are we gonna know that they want how many significant figures!!!
Damn arrogant britishers!!!! :evil:

Reaction score
Instructions mention it...
If the degree of accuracy is not specified in the question, and if the answer is not exact, give the answer to three significant figures...

Reaction score
Dude it depends.. if the accuracy needed for the answer is not given in the question and if the answer of the question is not accurate, then you have to give you answer to three significant figures and answer in degrees to one decimal place. For eg 129.987697. Obviously you are no going to write the entire thing thats why you are supposed to write it to 3 significant figures which will be 130! This all is given in the first page of the question paper. Furthermore, marks are not cut for not giving the answer to 3sg figures(if accuracy not stated) unless a very unsensible answer is given(like the number mentioned earlier)

Reaction score
Well you didnt look at the qst I referred to....
The interest in the qst comes 2376.12 and instead of rounding it off to 2380 the stupid examiner has kept it as it is neglecting the fact that no degree of accuracy is specified in the qst. I wud have rounded it off to 2380 and he wud have deducted 1 mark for it and i wud be able to do nothing but stare at my result and wonder why i got an A at 89!!!!!

Reaction score
I think its best to follow the instructions on the cover page... Ignore veerything else...!

Reaction score
in these sort of questions you dont write to 3sg figures!! For example if you calculate the price of a camera as 5.985 dollars, you will right 6 dollars not 7 dollars!! you can see the question and the answer and then figure out whether it needss to be rounded or whatever! In your example, the answer given by the examiner is correct as it is reasonable and at max you could have 2376!! The rule for writing to 3sg figures is not applicable in all cases!!

Reaction score
Well after comparing many mark schemes Ive come to the conclusion that you need to give answers to qstions regarding money to 2 dc places

Reaction score
yes its better to see the instruction page first and then the particular question if it mentions other that is to write in 2 significant numbers etc...
also,if a question demands to write in 2 s.f,then from the beginning of the solution use 3 s.f!
1 more thing is that there are some questions whose part a is just demanding the answer of a question and nothing else recommendation,and we students write the answer in 3 s.f or roud off....dont do that because sometimes in part b they say now write it into 3 s.f :ROFLMAO: ..so u will then have to cut..so first read the whole question before!