• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mechanics 1 P42 2014; Discussion!

Reaction score
Nope, I thought of it too. *high 5*
71.3 is the correct answer. Oishee has solved it for you by one of the two possible methods, I'll solve it with the other method to assure you.

Disance in the first 8 seconds was 8 m. We would integerate the second equation, with the constant, and equate it to 8, and get the value of C

0.3 t^5/3 + c = 8
0.3 (8)^5/3 + c = 8
c = -1.6

Now, that you have the value of C, just switch in the value of 27
0.3(27)^5/3 -1.6 = 71.3

Reaction score
71.3 is the correct answer. Oishee has solved it for you by one of the two possible methods, I'll solve it with the other method to assure you.

Disance in the first 8 seconds was 8 m. We would integerate the second equation, with the constant, and equate it to 8, and get the value of C

0.3 t^5/3 + c = 8
0.3 (8)^5/3 + c = 8
c = -1.6

Now, that you have the value of C, just switch in the value of 27
0.3(27)^5/3 -1.6 = 71.3
This would only work if the velocity of the body from the start was 1/2 T^2/3, when in fact, in the beginning the velocity was changing linearly.
i messed up q3 and use lamis thoerem will i get marks for this?
I can't imagine you will get much credit for it. Lami's theorem can only be used in the case of 3 forces. The ring had weight, a rightwards force of 10N and the tension in 2 strings acting on it, making a total of 4 forces. You had to resolve the components and equate them.

Reaction score
sadly no i did that aswell so far i got 25 mistakes....Guys if i got a 24 out of 50 in mechanics and got a 64 out of 75 in pure. What would my overall grade be??

Reaction score
sadly no i did that aswell so far i got 25 mistakes....Guys if i got a 24 out of 50 in mechanics and got a 64 out of 75 in pure. What would my overall grade be??

Well according to last year's grade threshold an A was at 93 and a B was at 79, so you would have a B. But then again, it depends upon the grade threshold for this year.

Reaction score
This would only work if the velocity of the body from the start was 1/2 T^2/3, when in fact, in the beginning the velocity was changing linearly.

I can't imagine you will get much credit for it. Lami's theorem can only be used in the case of 3 forces. The ring had weight, a rightwards force of 10N and the tension in 2 strings acting on it, making a total of 4 forces. You had to resolve the components and equate them.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with the velocity of the body. It's about the displacement. Check other past papers and you will understand.

Reaction score

You do know there is a reason for finding out the constant. It makes the equation applicable to the first 8 second as well. It is just like finding the equation of a curve when you have it in the form of dy/dx. Once you find the value of the constant c, you can put in the whole 27 seconds and you will get the right answer

Reaction score
i messed up q3 and use lamis thoerem will i get marks for this?
depends on only one thing if you included weight. Yes then it will be full marks given you do it correctly but i triedit but gave up after the first thought