• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mechanics M1: Post your doubt here

Reaction score
like 20 marks :( i may not get the B even if i get an A in m1 ?
dude i really can't say i did both in may june and the exam was really tough and i scored C in M1 and P1. best thing is to really have faith in god from ur heart and pray to get the score u want..

Reaction score
dude i really can't say i did both in may june and the exam was really tough and i scored C in M1 and P1. best thing is to really have faith in god from ur heart and pray to get the score u want..
how was the paper p1 this time??? ikhalid ???? how much u are expecting??? wud u lyk to share??

Reaction score
how was the paper p1 this time??? ikhalid ???? how much u are expecting??? wud u lyk to share??
vector question and question 10 were really somethin i never expected that it would come in exams. i never saw questions like these in past papers but the last question was really so easy and simple but due to exam stress and time i couldn't manage to solve it even though after i got back home i found it was easy 10 marks to get in this paper -_-..my luck :/ but i hope god be with us and improves my grade..pray for me guys, please :) what about u ?

Reaction score
vector question and question 10 were really somethin i never expected that it would come in exams. i never saw questions like these in past papers but the last question was really so easy and simple but due to exam stress and time i couldn't manage to solve it even though after i got back home i found it was easy 10 marks to get in this paper -_-..my luck :/ but i hope god be with us and improves my grade..pray for me guys, please :) what about u ?
will lost max. 9 or least 7 or 8 that is what i can guess. Alhamsulillah :) vectr part 2 and 3 part 1 were left unsolved didnot looked at it even for giving a try :) so 6 lost cnfrmd and 1 or 2 more :)

Reaction score
will lost max. 9 or least 7 or 8 that is what i can guess. Alhamsulillah :) vectr part 2 and 3 part 1 were left unsolved didnot looked at it even for giving a try :) so 6 lost cnfrmd and 1 or 2 more :)
what was 3 part 1 ?

Reaction score
maannn u just missed a historic event !! felix the guy who jumped 120,000 ft from earth its just insaaanneee they said he said newton is mistaken and there will be new laws about what happened today in the jump !!
oh will see abt it :)

Reaction score
I need help ugent plz.
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w10_qp_42.pdf
Question 3 i dont understand how it can be solve
The mark scheme made all step but i dont know y it changed sin(90-a) and cos(90-a) to sin(a) and cos(a)
Pleaze answer my doubt and give clear explanation
bro this is a rule in trig that sin (90-theta) is cos theta and cos(90-theta) is sin theta
check in the calc sin ( 90-30) = cos 30 or not to prove the rule is correct!

Reaction score
(i) R = mgcosθ
R = 10m cos 21
R = 9.336m

while the particle is going upward u have 2 forces acting opposite to its direction of motion...first the component of the weight and F
F = ma

lets find the acceleration of the particle
v = u + at
0 = 10-2a
a= -5

-mgsin-F = -5m
-10msin 21 - F = -5m
F = 1.416m

(ii) F = μR
μ = 1.416/9.336
μ = 0.152

(iii) while the particle is traveling downward only F is acting against the direction of motion
mgsinθ - F = ma
10msin21 - 1.416m = ma
a = 2.17 ms^-2

lets find the distance it moved ( note the distance moved from P to the highest point is the same distance it moved while it is goin back to P ) so,

s = 1/2(v + u)t
s = 1/2(10)(2)
s= 10m

v^2 = u^2 + 2as
v= √(0 + 2(2.17)(10))
v = 6.58 ms^-1

Hey thanks a lot for your time.. but i didn't get one thing.. why is it - mgsinθ - F = m* (-a)
i get that a is negative 5 or -5 so we write "-ma" but why the - sign in mgsinθ ???

Reaction score
bro this is a rule in trig that sin (90-theta) is cos theta and cos(90-theta) is sin theta
check in the calc sin ( 90-30) = cos 30 or not to prove the rule is correct!

ya and sin(90+θ)= cos(θ) and cos(90+θ) = -sin(θ)
by the way, you can find these in the syllabus aims or in the CIE Mathematics Learner Guide.. I'm sorry i'm not sure which one it is.
You can check out this learner's guide by CIE if you want.
http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk...almaths/Learner Guide for AS and AL Maths.pdf

Reaction score
Hey thanks a lot for your time.. but i didn't get one thing.. why is it - mgsinθ - F = m* (-a)
i get that a is negative 5 or -5 so we write "-ma" but why the - sign in mgsinθ ???
i already said y it is -mgsintheta because this force is acting OPPOSITE to the direction of the motion. u got it ?