• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mechanics M1: Post your doubt here

Reaction score
hey got it...... we have to find the tension in Tc and Ta.
form 2 eq.
Tc.Cosx + Ta.Cosx = 8N
Tc.Sinx = Ta.Sinx agree??? till here

now as the lengths are given we can see that it is not an isosceles bt it is a right angled... so find the hypotnuse which can also be said as the resultant of the two tensions, Tc and Ta. refer the sketch below.

now sinx will be (2/2.5 ) as the formula implies sinx = perp./hyp. so put these values and carry on the question u will get the ans. correct. :)

Attachments

• see.png
    see.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
hey got it...... we have to find the tension in Tc and Ta.
form 2 eq.
Tc.Cosx + Ta.Cosx = 8N
Tc.Sinx = Ta.Sinx agree??? till here

now as the lengths are given we can see that it is not an isosceles bt it is a right angled... so find the hypotnuse which can also be said as the resultant of the two tensions, Tc and Ta. refer the sketch below.

now sinx will be (2/2.5 ) as the formula implies sinx = perp./hyp. so put these values and carry on the question u will get the ans. correct. :)
wouldnt be the equation like this
Tc sinX=Ta sinX+The weight of da ringg??

Reaction score
i too took that befor but aftr lots of pondering i jxt reached to conclude that the weight of the ring has been adjusted/overcomed by the tension in the string Ta as we can say that untill the force of 8N was nt present there the ring was going down. and now it HAS BEEN BALANCED/equilibrised by the tension in the string :rolleyes:

Reaction score
i too took that befor but aftr lots of pondering i jxt reached to conclude that the weight of the ring has been adjusted/overcomed by the tension in the string Ta as we can say that untill the force of 8N was nt present there the ring was going down. and now it HAS BEEN BALANCED/equilibrised by the tension in the string :rolleyes:
could not have done that in paper surely God help us :)

Reaction score
look an advice if he ever asked u to find abt both tensions u resolve as leadingguy did, but if he asked the tension for AB u resolve on the ring and thats when u take the weight :) i hope this helped!!!!
btw leadingguy u did the best way to solve the question (RESOLVING)!

Reaction score
question no. 3. xplain why tsinx + tcosx = 15.5... becuase 15.5 is the x component so only tsinx = 15.5N and tcosx should be = 8.5.. but there is something i am unable to get. Mr Me

Attachments

• 9709_s11_ms_41.pdf
    152.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 9709_s11_qp_41.pdf
    96.9 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
can u do the question and explain whu TasinX=Tc sinX
Untitled.png
7 (i)
you have a right angle triangle with height 2m and base of 1.5 m and 2 unknowns angle. make one angle called theta and another angle called alpha as i showed u in the triangle i showed u

now lets to some trigs,

cos theta = 2/2.5
sin theta = 1.5/2.5

cos alpha = 1.5/2.5
sin alpha = 2/2.5

i resolved Ta and Tc and notice that the angle that Ta makes with the vertical is equal to alpha and the angle that Tc makes with the vertical is equal to theta. now its time to build up some equations!

Tc cos theta = Ta cos alpha
Tc (2/2.5) = Ta (1.5/2.5)
0.8 Tc = 0.6 Ta

Tc sin theta + Ta sin alpha = 8
Tc ( 1.5/2.5) + Ta (2/2.5) = 8
0.6 Tc + 0.8 Ta = 8

Ta = 0.8Tc/0.6

0.6Tc + 0.8(0.8Tc/0.6) = 8...solve this equation and u will get Tc = 4.8N

Ta = 0.8(4.8)/0.6
Ta = 6.4 N

(ii) i guess that's easy to solve after finding the tensions and everythin..anyway if u still need help in part 2 tell me and i am gonna help ya!