• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Medicine

Reaction score
If anyone is studying medicine currently or have studied it already, i want you to tell me a bit about ur experience in it..was it hard or easy???

Reaction score
If anyone is studying medicine currently or have studied it already, i want you to tell me a bit about ur experience in it..was it hard or easy???
Well I'm still a senior in highschool but my older brother is in his last year of medschool so I have a little background on medicine to some extent. I think the big takeaway from what I've seen is that going into medicine is a wonderful thing, especially if you have the passion for it. (And ofcourse, the grades) There's just two main things you have to keep in mind before you take on the grueling journey of becoming a doctor.
a) Where will I be studying medicine? The answer to this question could potentially make you or break you. You need to understand that medicine is a constantly stressful field, and you will be spending somewhere near a decade trying to get to a reputable position. Bottom line is, it's exhausting. So the last thing you will need is living in a stressful environment. For instance, many of the medical colleges in the Arab world are not as well-equipped as those abroad. That means the professors aren't as friendly or passionate, the students (who are all stressed out) are in constant "competition" mode and usually don't have time to make friends, and the overall campus does not exactly boost your morale. You will find that students whose parents are professors in the university will get ahead faster than those whose parents are not. That is usually not the case abroad. So if you're considering medicine in the middle east, do rethink that decision and consider studying abroad if you have that luxury!

b) Do I fully understand the commitment I am making? This is extremely important. The only thing that will get in the way of your success is you! What I'm trying to put across here is that medicine is only hard if you decide that it's hard. I have had to sit with my brother several times when he was studying, and I would realise how trivial medicine really is. 89% of your studying will be memorising. So if memorising is your weakness, do yourself a favour and steer clear of medicine. It really is all about how much information you can retain. The only pickle here is how long you can keep it up. If you are capable of making sacrifices during the day just so you could put in the extra hours of revision, you will surely make it to the top. But it is scary the amount of information you have to learn on such short notice so it's up to you whether or not you decide to spend three quarters of your day memorising or doing whatever else there is to do. Otherwise, to cut it short, medicine is a piece of cake if you can convince yourself for 6 years that it is a piece of cake and that you understand that just like marriage, medicine is a commitment.

Good luck. :)

Reaction score
Well I'm still a senior in highschool but my older brother is in his last year of medschool so I have a little background on medicine to some extent. I think the big takeaway from what I've seen is that going into medicine is a wonderful thing, especially if you have the passion for it. (And ofcourse, the grades) There's just two main things you have to keep in mind before you take on the grueling journey of becoming a doctor.
a) Where will I be studying medicine? The answer to this question could potentially make you or break you. You need to understand that medicine is a constantly stressful field, and you will be spending somewhere near a decade trying to get to a reputable position. Bottom line is, it's exhausting. So the last thing you will need is living in a stressful environment. For instance, many of the medical colleges in the Arab world are not as well-equipped as those abroad. That means the professors aren't as friendly or passionate, the students (who are all stressed out) are in constant "competition" mode and usually don't have time to make friends, and the overall campus does not exactly boost your morale. You will find that students whose parents are professors in the university will get ahead faster than those whose parents are not. That is usually not the case abroad. So if you're considering medicine in the middle east, do rethink that decision and consider studying abroad if you have that luxury!

b) Do I fully understand the commitment I am making? This is extremely important. The only thing that will get in the way of your success is you! What I'm trying to put across here is that medicine is only hard if you decide that it's hard. I have had to sit with my brother several times when he was studying, and I would realise how trivial medicine really is. 89% of your studying will be memorising. So if memorising is your weakness, do yourself a favour and steer clear of medicine. It really is all about how much information you can retain. The only pickle here is how long you can keep it up. If you are capable of making sacrifices during the day just so you could put in the extra hours of revision, you will surely make it to the top. But it is scary the amount of information you have to learn on such short notice so it's up to you whether or not you decide to spend three quarters of your day memorising or doing whatever else there is to do. Otherwise, to cut it short, medicine is a piece of cake if you can convince yourself for 6 years that it is a piece of cake and that you understand that just like marriage, medicine is a commitment.

Good luck. :)
True advice. I started uni and its been almost 3 weeks and what you have said is absolutely right and i hope i make it in the end :)