• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment?!

Reaction score
Can someone please give a guide-line of how one should solve questions regarding this?
i.e What formula/procedure?
Pleeeease help!

Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Can someone please give a guide-line of how one should solve questions regarding this?
i.e What formula/procedure?
Pleeeease help!

Thanks in advance!!

They may ask you about what the experiment tells us, I think you should mention about how charge is quantised and all charges were multiples of e
the force due to gravity = force to due electric repulsion
mg = eq = (v/d) q

oil droplets are charged via friction after coming out of a nozzle in between horizontal plates normal to field of gravity
You may change potential difference of plates until the droplets are stationary.
then you may calculate etc.

That is the basic idea of it I think.

ooh they are negative charges and therefore positive terminal must be on top

Reaction score
Thank you!!
I get it this far,but I dont know the calculations!! :/

Like what do you divide? and what is the whole thing with 'divide by smallest multiple'
Please help!

Reaction score
Thank you!!
I get it this far,but I dont know the calculations!! :/

Like what do you divide? and what is the whole thing with 'divide by smallest multiple'
Please help!

No you just say that all values are multiples of 1.6 x 10^-19 (which is the charge of an electron). Hence the thing must contain a certain number of electrons.