• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Need a little help with deciding a fourth subject.

Reaction score
Assalamualaikum!
I have recently finished my A levels with 3 subjects and Mashallah achieved good grades (A*AB) but regardless of that I wasn't able to get admission in my desired institutions mostly due to getting late for admission.
Now I'm probably going to wait for next year and since I'm free I've decided to give one more A Level so I stay in touch with my studying mindset and make up something out of all the time being wasted. Now what I can't figure out is a fourth subject. Initially I planned to give Further Mathematics because I'm good at Maths(A*) and I really like to study maths but I've seen people saying about it being the hardest A Level subject, so I don't really want to attempt it and fall on my face by spoiling my grade combination. I would rather have A*AB than A*ABC or A*ABD.
So kindly suggest some good subjects which are considered as proper subjects, not something like Thinking Skills or General Studies because I'm going to apply to an engineering university and they don't care about such subjects but an interesting subject even if not related to my field could work.

Reaction score
If you are good in Maths, and in addition to that, you have a lot of spare time, take Further Maths. Especially, that would be useful if you are planning to take some math-related course

Reaction score
If you dont wanna go for Further, go for Bio or Computing or Economics........Thats what most people have as their fourth subject

Reaction score
MindStealth:
AoA,

Go with Further Mathematics i would advise!

I am now in an engineering university and i realise that people with further maths are somewhat relaxed in their maths courses and they can give more time to other courses.
I know its tough but let me tell you university study is tougher, so you are going to need to take up tough tasks, and this time you'll spend this year on further maths will relax you in your first and (maybe) second semester maths courses, and from my experience the other courses are very tough and difficult to manage, we find ourselves short of time. So having an upper hand in maths courses will be a plus point.

Good Luck!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
MindStealth WaAlaikumAsSalam Wr Wb..!

See, if you're to study in Pakistan, an extra subject won't give you any extra credits, as far as marks are concerned. They'll only consider your grades for Physics, Chemistry and Maths. So, I think smzimran's opinion is a good one. You should decide a subject that'd help you for your uni! Otherwise, I feel, it's just a waste of time. Since you mentioned you got A* in maths, it definitely shows you are good at it, for it's not easy to get an A*. Saying so, as I saw some of my friends who were quite good at it, but got A. So I don't think Further Maths will be a bad choice for you.
You'll be able to cope up with it, InshaAllah.