• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Need help? I am an extremely confused mess.

Reaction score
So,

I got 3A* 4A 2B's in Olevels.

I just did As but I got 1C and 3Ds because of some reasons, I was not able to concentrate properly. I am a generally bright person but this result was due to some problems. Anywho, that has happened now.
I have bio chem phys maths.

I want to improve my grades and regive all of them in Oct but I've decided to give only As maths in oct and the rest with A2.
Is that okay or some other suggestion?

Also I am confused about careers.
I am not sure which field I want to pursue but it has come down to these choices; switching to business studies, Architecture and a tiny chance of dentistry. (interested in them)

Now I am planning on giving SAT 1 in Oct for LUMS in case I go for business.

Actually I am just very confused over what I should do. To give SAT or not or to leave it if there is a small chance?
My cousins told me to not give SAT1 as admission in LUMS is difficult for me with my grades and Im not even sure if I could go there. But I know I can secure a good SAT score so can that over-shadow my As grades?

I need advice about everything regarding this in general please. Any thing would help, I don't have much guidance so Im very clueless. :( Please leave an opinion

Reaction score
Your OL grades r quite satisfactory. But thy dnr matter much as unis in paki hardly cnsider OL grades.

With O/N exams just 2 mnths away u need to act quick,
Firstly u seemed very confused in every aspect.....thnk abt a certain matter nd thn just do it...dnt thnk abt it too much omce u make up your mind.

U shuld try to give atleast 2 subs ths O/N....its enough tym tht u can cover up those subs..plus evruthng will be fresh as u hav studied it just 2 mnths bak...try to giv atleast 2 subs ths O/N

Movng on to ur career choice.....I thnk u shuld rule out business studies.....will u be able to deal wid a new sub of business std so quickly?
Dentistry might be a gud choice as it has got scope.

LUMS is a well known institution whn it comes to 'marketing' nd commerce related studoes..nd u shuld definitely try fr it if u chng ur plan nd go wth business std.

Nd yes if u apply through SATs it will certainly overshadow ur AL grades nd u wont need to worry abt thm...howevr do chck whthr LUMS justneeds SAT1 or sm subs of SAT2 aswell.

The subs u hav r more of engineering oriented...nd chngng to businees might be a risky take.
Gettng admission in LUmS aintbtht hard tbh..nd u can easily go there through a gud SAT score.

GUd luck

Reaction score
1. As a levels is quite difficult on its own thus only repeat if your quite confident about the the outcome...that is improved grades...7 AS are good actually....now improve your C and D...thats my opinion...
2. If you want to study business side within pakistan...then go for lums (no comparison).....with such huge fees as of lums you can add few via job in US or UK and graduate with a much better university...your choice though! but remember to give your sat in A1...do not leave it for A2...
3. You need to sit down...think what you want to do in future and then decide a university...and the path for it.
Simply remember A levels is not a joke ...so settle your preferences and think,plan practically before jumping into a combo of sat plus o plus a levels....do not mess....schedule and plan according to your ability.

Reaction score
Your OL grades r quite satisfactory. But thy dnr matter much as unis in paki hardly cnsider OL grades.

With O/N exams just 2 mnths away u need to act quick,
Firstly u seemed very confused in every aspect.....thnk abt a certain matter nd thn just do it...dnt thnk abt it too much omce u make up your mind.

U shuld try to give atleast 2 subs ths O/N....its enough tym tht u can cover up those subs..plus evruthng will be fresh as u hav studied it just 2 mnths bak...try to giv atleast 2 subs ths O/N

Movng on to ur career choice.....I thnk u shuld rule out business studies.....will u be able to deal wid a new sub of business std so quickly?
Dentistry might be a gud choice as it has got scope.

LUMS is a well known institution whn it comes to 'marketing' nd commerce related studoes..nd u shuld definitely try fr it if u chng ur plan nd go wth business std.

Nd yes if u apply through SATs it will certainly overshadow ur AL grades nd u wont need to worry abt thm...howevr do chck whthr LUMS justneeds SAT1 or sm subs of SAT2 aswell.

The subs u hav r more of engineering oriented...nd chngng to businees might be a risky take.
Gettng admission in LUmS aintbtht hard tbh..nd u can easily go there through a gud SAT score.

GUd luck
I have some amount of interest in business studies but my cousins are like go for dentistry, there arent many good jobs in commerce side. Idk if they're saying that just because they are doctors or because it actually is true so please clear that too?
And what about engineering, whats the future like with that field? Im a girl jbtw
thank you so much btw

Reaction score
1. As a levels is quite difficult on its own thus only repeat if your quite confident about the the outcome...that is improved grades...7 AS are good actually....now improve your C and D...thats my opinion...
2. If you want to study business side within pakistan...then go for lums (no comparison).....with such huge fees as of lums you can add few via job in US or UK and graduate with a much better university...your choice though! but remember to give your sat in A1...do not leave it for A2...
3. You need to sit down...think what you want to do in future and then decide a university...and the path for it.
Simply remember A levels is not a joke ...so settle your preferences and think,plan practically before jumping into a combo of sat plus o plus a levels....do not mess....schedule and plan according to your ability.

I did not understand point 2, please elaborate a little?:3

And thankyou so much

Reaction score
I have some amount of interest in business studies but my cousins are like go for dentistry, there arent many good jobs in commerce side. Idk if they're saying that just because they are doctors or because it actually is true so please clear that too?
And what about engineering, whats the future like with that field? Im a girl jbtw
thank you so much btw
Usually I wuld hav said tht do wht u r Interested in...however considering ur current situation u hav very litle time nd u need to make up ur mynd fast.
If u want to head for commerce side u must hav1-2 subs related to it....so will u be able to study for two new subs within 10 monts...evn if u drop 2 subs....it leaves u wid 4 A2 subs..whch is only poss if u giv AS if atleast 2 subs ths O/N

However ill state tht its too late now.

Tbh im not sure abt scope in commerce side..but if ur aimng FR CA...thn yup it has alot of scope...apart frm tht I dunno.

I knw many grls who r engineers...thts not the point.

Dentistry is quite gud nd has a gud scope just not in paki but evn abroad, so if u r interested in it u shuld giv ut a try..nd continue wid bio.

As far as engineering is concerned....believe me u can head fr any field of eng nd u wuld be successfull. Plus if h do MBA aftr ue undergradtion tht might give ur CV a mighty boost nd fynd u a gud job in purchase department of a gud company.

Reaction score
As far as grades are concerned, I think you should consider retaking Physics in Oct/Nov as Maths P3 can be helpful for P1. Same for Chemistry.
Another choice would be to take all composites but that could get hectic. Appearing in Oct/Nov can disrupt your A2 so that's not a very wise decision.

You can surely improve your grades. I had a low B in AS Physics but retook AS with A2 this session and ended up with an A*. This depends upon yourself as some people repeat twice and get the same or even worse grades.
You could also consider dropping a subject, preferably Maths or Biology, but that depends on your interest and career choice.
I wouldn't recommend retaking more than one subject in Oct/Nov. I say retake maybe 1 in O/N, 2 composites and deciding to opt out of a subject. The final decision though, is yours.
Also wait for the component grades before making a final decision in this regard.

If you're not interested in dentistry and feel you're bad at Biology then drop Biology, or vice versa. If you're really inclined towards Business, then you just need any 3 subjects.

Coming to the LUMS part, I got accepted to Business school this year. I was a science student.
Quite a lot of people in the business school are from science background (maybe even more than half). LUMS starts from the basics so it isn't a major problem for science students although business students do have a slight advantage in the start.

I have been following their admission process this year very closely.
The most important part of your application are your OL grades. Most of the people who are accepted have at least 6 As. You are certainly above par in that.
Next is your SAT score (Except for SSE). Most people in Business school have above 1700 but as your AS grades are on the lower side, you should aim for at least 1900. You could get accepted with a much lower score than this, but try to score as higher as you can to give yourself the best chance.
AS grades and other things come last. Although they sure do matter.
As you're sure about retaking, you could submit your internal AS grades to LUMS instead of your CIE ones. I'm not sure if you can do this though and you should leave this for later.
Once you're accepted, you just need to get BBC in AL to meet their condition and join LUMS.

Another thing about LUMS is that you can transfer to a different school/major after a year or two if you aren't interested in your previous major. Also, read this handbook. Although it's from last year, it will answer most of your questions. The new one will be available in a couple of weeks.

You should definitely take SAT 1 if you're aiming for any Business major, and you obviously cannot apply to LUMS without it. But first, you need to decide a little on your subjects and career and narrow your choices down a bit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did not understand point 2, please elaborate a little?:3

And thankyou so much
Point 2: Summarily, give SAT in A 1 because A 2 is quite hard itself. LUMS is mostly good for business, not engineering and medical. Also,I believe LUMS is quite expensive, why not try a better university abroad with some scholarship and paying the same amount as in LUMS or slightly more?...just an opinion.
Point 3: Simply plan before jumping into something e.g. as you said you want to handle re appears of o level and a level and SAT together, it can be a silly decision.

Reaction score
Same problem with me. i'm a private candidate tho!
i'm worried about changes in syllabus for 2015 and 2016? should i reappear or just move on? :(

Reaction score
So,

I got 3A* 4A 2B's in Olevels.

I just did As but I got 1C and 3Ds because of some reasons, I was not able to concentrate properly. I am a generally bright person but this result was due to some problems. Anywho, that has happened now.
I have bio chem phys maths.

I want to improve my grades and regive all of them in Oct but I've decided to give only As maths in oct and the rest with A2.
Is that okay or some other suggestion?

Also I am confused about careers.
I am not sure which field I want to pursue but it has come down to these choices; switching to business studies, Architecture and a tiny chance of dentistry. (interested in them)

Now I am planning on giving SAT 1 in Oct for LUMS in case I go for business.

Actually I am just very confused over what I should do. To give SAT or not or to leave it if there is a small chance?
My cousins told me to not give SAT1 as admission in LUMS is difficult for me with my grades and Im not even sure if I could go there. But I know I can secure a good SAT score so can that over-shadow my As grades?

I need advice about everything regarding this in general please. Any thing would help, I don't have much guidance so Im very clueless. :( Please leave an opinion
You said that you think you should retake math this October and do the full AL level (AS&A2) next year, I think it's a good idea if you are prepared for math and also think that you can handle the three subjects next year.
Someone above mentioned you should drop one of the subjects. I agree, if you are finding it difficult to cope with so many subjects you may drop one or two. Many people take only 2 A level subjects.
I think that you should give SATS, not for LUMS but because in general it could come useful for any university you may choose to apply.
I am sorry I don't know much about LUMS and how difficult it is, Ive heard it's a good university. However, like someone mentioned above, if you've been studying science all this time, it may be difficult to get started on business subjects.

My advice is this: choose architecture or dentistry. If you choose architecture, take physics and math at least, drop bio if you wish.
If you choose dentistry, choose bio for sure, you could drop physics I guess. Math is always essential in my opinion.

At the end of the day, choice is yours. If you are confident in business (perhaps if you've taken business, economics, accounting, etc in O levels) even that may turn out to be good. But I wouldn't make such a change.
Hope this helped. :)