• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Need some [more] help

Reaction score
Hello folks. I just needed a few of your opinions and such before i made a decision, so if you could help me out, I'd appreciate it :)

Im sitting for my A levels. But unlike most people, i intend to give A2 instead of AS. How will i thus apply for universities? My end-of-year result? Or what?

Also, i wish to study abroad. My top choices at the moment are: Australia, The US, and possibly Hong Kong/Singapore. If not there, then i would like to stay within Pakistan itself. What are their requirements after A level results? IELTS? TOEFL? Do they offer scholarship programs, or if not, how expensive are the good [medical] universities out there?

How important are co-curricular certificates? Event management? Internship? Sports teams?

Thanks in advance,
Jinkglex.

Reaction score
Quick answer.

In UK use apply thru UCAS. Your personal statement and teachers recommendation is considered. Your O Levels are considered. But if available AS grades are preferred over GCSEs. And your predicted grades play a part too.
Most UK universities DO NOT take extra Activities into consideration at all. (dont know if it applies to medical too.) But It is still good if you if you have some. And you tell them how it will help/is related to your desired field.
The Cost of Medical is outrageous! about 26000 GBP per annum. And thats just tution fee you still have to pay the living costs and books etc. i.e around 3 lakhs per month.
The admission is very tough. As they have limited seats for medical for international stidents.
NO Scholarship for medical(or ANY other course) unfortunately.
you might get scholarships worth 1000-3000 GBP(on merit base). But no full scholarship(few are available like reach oxford scholarship or 800 anniversary cambridge scholarship but are incredibly difficult )
If you have C or above in O Level english then you meet englsih language proficiency requirements.

For that matter you wont find medical scholarships anywhere in the world.

2 Universities Hong Kong University and NUS (singapore) are very good and also give FINANCIAL AID (need-based) including llving costs easily. (perhaps medical too you have to check.)
BUT the admission is tough. Not TOO tough but still difficult.
IELTS/TOEFL might be required if you have bad grade in Olvel ENGlish (again youd have to check)
HKU requires that you have command over chinese for medical. :(

I have absolutely no idea about Australia.

lastly USA.

They need SAT 1 and SAT 2.Admission is based on SATs your essay and your Extra curricular matter GREATLY for that matter. (dont know about ielts etc but they might waive them if you talk to them about it and have good grade in olvels english.)

Some universities do give scholarships and need based financial aid. (both in form of loans and grants.) Some have need blind admissions. very few even give FULL NEED aid for international students
I cant comment on how easy is it to get a good aid package.

For medical you have to spend 3-4 years doing Bachelors (from an american university) and then you have to get admission in M.D which is i think 5 years(not sure.)
so it takes a long 8-10 years in USA.

One more thing that most US universities DO NOT take international students for M.D. Very Few that do.(I think so.) And getting into them is very very IMPOSSIBLE.:D
Lastly even if you do get into one I doubt you would get any sort of financial aid. Cuz the US citizens who become doctor have on average about 200,000 USD debt on them. by the time they gradute.

Hope it helped :)