• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

New member, here! Urgent advice required regarding extra O level subjects!!

Reaction score
I gave my first set of CIEs in the May/June session, just recently: Pak Studies and Islamiat. My subjects are that of pre-engineering, specifically including Chemistry, Physics, Computer Studies, Mathematics, Urdu and English.

The pressure on the next May/June session, I'm aware, will be immense, for a starter. Even so, I'd like to give a couple of extra subjects (easy, those too) in the October/November session '13 that is to follow because what's better than a couple of extra A/A*s in your result? Suggestions for easy IGCSE* subjects are welcome, provided that I have only a couple of months left to prepare right from scratch.

When mentioning a subject, please also mention what textbooks they require, alongside. I want to know the easiest subjects from people who've attempted them. Also, I have heard that Environmental Studies, for one, could easily be opted for to result in a good grade.

Another suggestion I require is whether I should give my English - First Language and Urdu - Second Language examinations in Oct/Nov '13 as well, just to lessen the burden off next year.

Thanks in advance!

(I APOLOGIZE FOR STATING "O LEVELS" IN PLACE OF "IGCSE" IN THE TITLE :confused: )

Reaction score
I gave my first set of CIEs in the May/June session, just recently: Pak Studies and Islamiat. My subjects are that of pre-engineering, specifically including Chemistry, Physics, Computer Studies, Mathematics, Urdu and English.

The pressure on the next May/June session, I'm aware, will be immense, for a starter. Even so, I'd like to give a couple of extra subjects (easy, those too) in the October/November session '13 that is to follow because what's better than a couple of extra A/A*s in your result? Suggestions for easy O level subjects are welcome, provided that I have only a couple of months left to prepare right from scratch.

When mentioning a subject, please also mention what textbooks they require, alongside. I want to know the easiest subjects from people who've attempted them. Also, I have heard that Environmental Studies, for one, could easily be opted for to result in a good grade.

Another suggestion I require is whether I should give my English - First Language and Urdu - Second Language examinations in Oct/Nov '13 as well, just to lessen the burden off next year.

Thanks in advance!

I'd say go for something like economics or business studies - i found them to be relatively easy and they can be prepared for in the short time u have left.
If you dont mind something a bit more tougher, u could take biology (i loved it!)

As for textbooks, im not sure of the names. I did IGCSEs not O Levels, so i expect the content will differ slightly.
Take a look at the syllabus though, it should give you the names of some recommended textbooks.

And as for doing english (I have zero experience with urdu ) this coming session:
English isnt tough, you could definitely manage it.
How long have you been studying for this Engish exam, and if English is your second language, then you need to ask yourself how good is your English ?
i hope you get what im saying, i tend to write all mixed up sometimes :(.
Also, I think that the most important thing in studying for this exam is the standard of your writing.

BUT, don't try to take too many subects in one session if you're not adequately prepared...you'll only end up regretting it.
Rather take one or two subjects and get good grades, than take a bunch of subjects and end up unhappy.

Hope I helped :D

Reaction score
How long, exactly, did you take for economics and business studies? From what I have heard they're very difficult and should only be chosen as subjects you're choosing to base your career on. *Shugs* You're permitted to correct me where I'm wrong.

Biology is just not my thing. Starting from scratch is one thing, me being allergic to it is another. You feel me, right? :cry:

I'm doing my IGSCE, too. Sorry for that...I just changed to IGCSE and mix them up all too often. My apologies. Now, you can refer to the book names, can't you? Where in the syllabus does it refer to the textbooks? (I feel like a silly, lost hobo, here, but help me out if you will.) *Blonde-moment*

I needn't worry about English. That I'm certain of. I'm good at it and extremely confident. Choosing it as First Language was a decision not only made by me but also, several English teachers recommended it for me. So, that will go smooth. InshAllah. You're excused for Urdu. :)

Thank you very much for the prompt and detailed response, mate! (y)

Reaction score
How long, exactly, did you take for economics and business studies? From what I have heard they're very difficult and should only be chosen as subjects you're choosing to base your career on. *Shugs* You're permitted to correct me where I'm wrong.

Biology is just not my thing. Starting from scratch is one thing, me being allergic to it is another. You feel me, right? :cry:

I'm doing my IGSCE, too. Sorry for that...I just changed to IGCSE and mix them up all to often. My apologies. Now, you can refer to the book names, can't you? Where in the syllabus does it refer to the textbooks? (I feel like a silly lost hobo, here but help me out if you will.) *Blonde-moment*

I needn't worry about English. That I'm certain of. I'm good at it and extremely confident. Choosing it as First Language was a decision not only made by me but also, several English teachers recommended it. So, that will go smooth. You're excused for Urdu. :)

Thank you very much for the prompt and detailed response, mate! (y)

Okay, i actually did Economics at IGCSE, and i studied for it in around two to three months, and it was not extensive studying, trust me...
(Somehow, i always end up studying for my subjects in so few months, and my life is pretty hectic in the first place... :rolleyes: )
Anyways, i have to admit that I got a B for it. I was fine with that grade, but im sure if i had applied myself a little more, i could have done better. So dont take my grade as an example, coz i had other things in my life that prevented me from studying as much as i could have, and im sure your smarter than me anyways :)
As for Busines St, I took it at A Level, and i studied for it in around two months too.

The poiint is that i didnt find either of them that dificult. You should manage it...

Lol, dont worry...i think we all had our blonde moments with this CIE stuff...esp me, i had to discover it all for myself, with XPFs help, ofcourse :D

Well, towards the end of the syllabus, theres a table with a list of resources. it says that its merely suggestions...but there are names of textbooks there.
i did eco abt two yrs ago, so i cant rem the exact name and the book is packed away :) but i think it was ether of these two - make sure you get the latest edition:

Dan Moynihan
& Brian Titley

Economics: A Complete Course for IGCSE & O Level
Economics: A Complete Course (3rd edition)
Comprehensive topic coverage with assignments and
data response material.
Oxford
University
Press

If youre that confident about it, id say go for it!!!
All a pleasure, dont hesitate to ask about anything :D
Goood Luck!

Reaction score
I think I'll keep Business Studies for my A levels, too.
I'll be sure to give Economics a good thought, though.
For the rest, I can't thank you enough, mate! :)

Wishing you all the success in the future, brother. Ameen. :D

Reaction score
Urdu as a second language is rather easy but u need to know 4 dat , dat how good is ur basic Urdu , as for extra subjects I m not takng any else than
Pakistan stds , Islamic stds , English as a 2nd language , Urdu as a second language , chem , bio , phys , maths
so cant guide u else than dat , bio is rather easy if u have intrest in it

Reaction score
I think I'll keep Business Studies for my A levels, too.
I'll be sure to give Economics a good thought, though.
For the rest, I can't thank you enough, mate! :)

Wishing you all the success in the future, brother. Ameen. :D

Good Luck, and it was only a pleasure..

btw, what makes u think im a brother ;P

Reaction score
Urdu as a second language is rather easy but u need to know 4 dat , dat how good is ur basic Urdu , as for extra subjects I m not takng any else than
Pakistan stds , Islamic stds , English as a 2nd language , Urdu as a second language , chem , bio , phys , maths
so cant guide u else than dat , bio is rather easy if u have intrest in it

Thank you, sister and no worries! Best of luck for your examinations! (y)

Reaction score
I know your problem, you are a bit confused about extra subjects, so I am here to help you to my utmost level. I have given 7 extra subjects and got 2A* and 5As and will give 5 more extra subjects in October November 2013 session. That's why I know a lot about extra subjects. Don't follow what others tell you cuz I can give you the best solution......the easiest way to get As without studying too much! I cannot explain you here otherwise it would become too lengthy so its better that you should contact me directly so that I should explain you the strategy of giving extra subjects.......my contact is 03333126377. Anyone can contact me.

Reaction score
The subjects which I have given so far and the results which I got are listed below:
1. Economics A*
2. Business Studies A*
3. World Geography A*
4. Environmental Management A*
5. Pakistan Studies A*
6. Urdu Second Language A*
7. Islamiat A
8. Commerce A
9. Statistics A
10. Sociology A

Now I am appearing for these subjects:
1. World History
2. Commercial Studies.
3. Principles of Accounts.
4. Islamic Religion and culture.
5. Travel and Tourism.

I can provide any assistance regarding extra subjects .

Reaction score
Environmental management is a subject which doesn't require any book reading, it only requires your thinking skills. 80% paper can be solved without book reading. The other 20% contains definitions, labeling etc. When you will be doing past papers you will see that nothing comes from john pallister's book. In my point of view, maximum practice of past papers is required. By only practicing past papers you can score A grade but if you want to get A* you will have to show your knowledge to the examiner . As you know that knowledge in john pallister's book is inadequate, you will have to study some case studies to enhance your knowledge. BY practicing past papers you will come to know about volcanic activity, farming types, soil , weather instruments etc without reading the book. SO THERE is no purpose of reading the book. But then you have to practice past papers from 2005 onwards. Overall, by just practicing past papers and learning some case studies can easily get you an A*. If you want to know which case studies you should learn, do let me know.

Reaction score
I bought Physics O level Book with disc, somehow lost the disc. Anyone please send me the internal files, i need files of cd not book.
David Sang wali.

NOWNWNOWNOWNWONWO

Reaction score
Environmental management is a subject which doesn't require any book reading, it only requires your thinking skills. 80% paper can be solved without book reading. The other 20% contains definitions, labeling etc. When you will be doing past papers you will see that nothing comes from john pallister's book. In my point of view, maximum practice of past papers is required. By only practicing past papers you can score A grade but if you want to get A* you will have to show your knowledge to the examiner . As you know that knowledge in john pallister's book is inadequate, you will have to study some case studies to enhance your knowledge. BY practicing past papers you will come to know about volcanic activity, farming types, soil , weather instruments etc without reading the book. SO THERE is no purpose of reading the book. But then you have to practice past papers from 2005 onwards. Overall, by just practicing past papers and learning some case studies can easily get you an A*. If you want to know which case studies you should learn, do let me know.

If i follow this method, of directly doing past papers. How do i solve them?
I mean, should i first solve the entire paper using my own knowledge, and then mark myself according to the marking scheme, seeing the right answers as i do so?
Or should i read a question, see the marking scheme of that question, and understand it, and write the answer down?

Reaction score
I said that only 20% of the exam comes from the book, the other depends on thinking skills. Moreover, the 20% can easily be learnt while practicing past papers, so overall I don't think that there is a need to read its book........................just read the questions, think about an answer and compare it with the answer of marking scheme. I read the book of world geography which made EM too easy for me and got an A* but for an A just practice the past papers, if you want to read the book you can read it but it will just waste your time................

Reaction score
I said that only 20% of the exam comes from the book, the other depends on thinking skills. Moreover, the 20% can easily be learnt while practicing past papers, so overall I don't think that there is a need to read its book........................just read the questions, think about an answer and compare it with the answer of marking scheme. I read the book of world geography which made EM too easy for me and got an A* but for an A just practice the past papers, if you want to read the book you can read it but it will just waste your time................

What book did you use for World Geography?