• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Novels?

Reaction score
@arlery: I read alchemist many years ago. Alchemist was one of my first real book (other then in our syllabus). Before that I use to stick with hardy boys and stuff. It was my starting of the real reading habit. So Alchemist is more to me then just what it is, and what it is, is proved by its being international bestseller.
Second thing: What fault did you find with the ending of cirque du freak. I admit the starting books are pretty shaky but really, whats wrong with the ending :?: , PM me if you think your answer would spoil dragoninja's experience.

@Evilpro: Agatha Christe? You are on my team :p :p :p

Reaction score
Anon said:
@Evilpro: Agatha Christe? You are on my team :p :p :p

:D ...yea she's the best in terms of complex and totally astonishing plots in her stories...Uptil now read her 8 novels and each one was totally different...I'm amzaed....The theme is precisely....a MURDER !! :)

Reaction score
I just recently read Ghost Stalkers X bat
and guess what form readings of only 10 rupees
:p
And i dont get it
The Alchemist definitely aint a best seller
and it was all too philosophical !
and who is Agatha Christie
and never read Hardy boys
though my school library was filled with it
and i've started reading seriously since i was 10
starting with THE BARKING GHOST of R.L STine !

Reaction score
dragoninja98 said:
And i dont get it

@dragoninja98: C'Mon DUDE !! Agatha Christie is the best crime novel selling author...do u know the figure ?? shez sold fairly more than 4 BILLION copies of her work including translations into 103 languages !!! only being outsold by Bible...Shez noted as the best selling author of all times when compared to Shakespeare.....U must be kidding that you don't know her aren't you !?!?!?

Reaction score
@dragoninja: Yep Evilpro is right. Just wanna add that she is dame Agatha Christie. The title dame is equal to that of being awarded knighthood to a man. Also Hardy boys are detective series of two brothers Frank and Joe. I use to read them like anything. The Hardy boys can be divided into the normal hardy boys and the casefiles. They both have minor differences of setup. Casefiles are more hard and better while the normal ones are pretty plain(I think of it now).

In Agatha Christie's books I always try to pinpoint the culprit prior before he is revealed, and I have read so many book of hers and I never got one right. Just wanna classify her books:

Miss Marple: The household mysteries,slow but entertaining
Hercule Poiret: High level mysteries (could be at international level), with a professional detective,
Tommy and Tuppence: LIght, comic, but sometimes also pretty deep (example:secret adversary),
Unnamed detectives: A particular person solves the mystery, characters sometimes are repeated from other books (example:Superintendent Battle)
It's just an informal classification, feel free to add to it. :D

Reaction score
Anon said:
@dragoninja: Yep Evilpro is right. Just wanna add that she is dame Agatha Christie. The title dame is equal to that of being awarded knighthood to a man. Also Hardy boys are detective series of two brothers Frank and Joe. I use to read them like anything. The Hardy boys can be divided into the normal hardy boys and the casefiles. They both have minor differences of setup. Casefiles are more hard and better while the normal ones are pretty plain(I think of it now).

In Agatha Christie's books I always try to pinpoint the culprit prior before he is revealed, and I have read so many book of hers and I never got one right. Just wanna classify her books:

Miss Marple: The household mysteries,slow but entertaining
Hercule Poiret: High level mysteries (could be at international level), with a professional detective,
Tommy and Tuppence: LIght, comic, but sometimes also pretty deep (example:secret adversary),
Unnamed detectives: A particular person solves the mystery, characters sometimes are repeated from other books (example:Superintendent Battle)
It's just an informal classification, feel free to add to it. :D

LOL you said that !!...Its the same thing with me, I also do the same thing but never found my guess to be right :p which seriously makes her one heck of an author !!

Reaction score
@All of you: Sorry but i have read Dale Brown and what the heck ?
Everybody writes international best seller and i don't read many detective novels except Sherlock Holmes
Will read Agatha Christy sometime....
But lets hold a poll
Whats your favorite novel ?
So that i'll read it in the first place !

Reaction score
Evilpro said:
dragoninja98 said:
And i dont get it

@dragoninja98: C'Mon DUDE !! Agatha Christie is the best crime novel selling author...do u know the figure ?? shez sold fairly more than 4 BILLION copies of her work including translations into 103 languages !!! only being outsold by Bible...Shez noted as the best selling author of all times when compared to Shakespeare.....U must be kidding that you don't know her aren't you !?!?!?

I'm on yur team too; I love agatha christie, she's amazing. :D

Reaction score
About the poll:
I last read Agatha Christie book quite time back and it was: "Hercule's Poiret Christmas" also known as murder on holiday or somethin like that. It was a real good book.

The "secret adeversary" is one of my favourite Agatha Christie's

My latest book was that I finished in the morning and it was "The English Assassin" by Silva (I am being lazy to go and check his last name).
It was a thriller but the ending could have been better. I also think the title is unappropriate.

My best book....hmmmm...well Hard to say.....Well I think I will give this award to "Dog's of War" and "Devil's Alternative" (half-half) both of em written by Fredrick Forsythe the Master Storyteller

Fredrick Forsythe is also my favourite like Agatha Christie.

@arlery: WELCOME TO THE TEAM!!! :D :D :D

Reaction score
4 billion copies
dude isnt the worlds population like 7 bill right now and u telling me that half the world has bought her book ?
and she didnt hit the headlines while Harry potter did ?
pffft .....
Hahaha !
Nice joke mateys !
:D

Reaction score
@dragoninja: Look, no one is there counting the books so the census is never really accurate.
here is a link>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_fiction_authors

It will tell you the min and maximum copies sold of different writers and Agatha Christie min is 2 billion and max is 4 billion.

Now what you said about comparing it with world population, let me get clear,
She wrote 85 books, So like if one person read all his book then to make 4 billions it will be 4 billion divided by 85. get it?
It is still very much

And to add to it, She was born in 1890. This means over 100 years these books have been sold so it isnt surprising.
And if you still consider the figures large, then it only shows the greatness of the author (or authoress as she use to say)

You should not have jump to the conclusion blaming him. This figure (4 billion) is written over almost all her books first page

And let me tell you that her play "Mousetrap" is the longest running play in history, according to guinness.
It was started in 1952 and continue to this day.

Reaction score
wow !
If she was born a hundred years ago then i have to believe you dude
and 85 books ?
Okay that explains it
and thanks for the source
it pretty much explains it

Reaction score
@dragoninja: :D
@Anon: hahahaha u saved me a lot of time by writing that yourself :p

Reaction score
I think J.k rowling is gonna surpass this Agatha in the very near future
Dont you believe it so guys ?

Reaction score
I think people are more to HP films than her books nowadays...maybe if she starts another series in her lifetime than she maybe able to but she still her publication is 1/10th of Agatha Christie's !!

Reaction score
dragoninja98 said:
I think J.k rowling is gonna surpass this Agatha in the very near future
Dont you believe it so guys ?

To surpass Agatha Christie, Rowling should do two things:

1) Write more books, Like Agatha Christie wrote 85,.
2) Wait, like about 100 years and so like Agatha Christie, Only when time passes newer reader will be there to buy books.

It can be difficult because Agatha Christie's books continue to sell even now but yes its a posssiblity.

An interesting fact: I read it 2 years ago in "Books and authors" that there were two more books of Agatha Christie, that were found out from her holiday home. They remained unpublished and were published then.Here is a link for the complete story.

So you see, rowling have to work really hard to beat Agatha Christie

Reaction score
-_-
J.K Rowling is a best seller....a real one and a live one !
Agatha Christie
well she'd pretty much dead

Reaction score
Well if you check my wikipedia link above once again you will see there are 8 writers between J.K Rowling and Agatha Christie.

It include writers like Enid Blyton who have written like 800 books and I tell you they are still being sold (My school library junior shelves are full of em and they are still adding)

So Fat Chance for J.K. Rowling :!: