• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Olevels Englsih Problem! Urgent!

Reaction score
So, i used to get almost 80percent marks before entering Olevels (in English). But now when i have entered olevels , english is very tough here. Last time i got 44 marks out of hundred( there were 2 questions 25,25 marks, 1st was creative writing i got 10 out of 25, comprehension , i got 14out of 25. These marks are multiplied by 2 )

I thought i would result better next time. But hellNO!!!!!!!!!! This time i got 20 out of 50 marks (in paper 1 ) 10 out of 25 in creative writing and 10 out of 25 in report! again i got very less marks. Now the paper 2 is waiting! i think it will be easy bcoz there is no essay in it.

Friends please help me, in essay writing . i HAVE recently thought of a new technique . I will learn 5 word everyday and never attempt a narrative essay, But this will always fail when there is a report in paper

Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
First of all, stop freaking out, buddy.
Let's see now, before O'Levels you were getting better marks, eh? I assume you're in Pakistan and hence English taught at lower levels is definitely of much different nature than that of O'Levels. One thing I do keep telling my buddies who find English hard is that it, like all other languages, requires practice, practice and more practice. So that's the first tip. Secondly, about not attempting narratives. Well, my best subject at school is English, and I personally always attempt narrative writing whenever faced with the options to choose from. But then again, I'm not saying that you'll do best in narratives too, because obviously, every individual is different, so you might be better at this while I'm at that. So first, you need to identify which mode of writing you're most comfortable with, and attempt that if it appears in your exam, because you'll do good when you're still in your comfort zone. If by chance, such a topic is not given, then you ought to have a second and third choice. You can know which modes you're good in, only by practice, so it comes back to the initial tip.

The idea of learning 5 new words every day is quite impressive, I must add. Nothing like an article/essay with proper vocabulary!
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do well. Good luck. :)

Reaction score
First of all, stop freaking out, buddy.
Let's see now, before O'Levels you were getting better marks, eh? I assume you're in Pakistan and hence English taught at lower levels is definitely of much different nature than that of O'Levels. One thing I do keep telling my buddies who find English hard is that it, like all other languages, requires practice, practice and more practice. So that's the first tip. Secondly, about not attempting narratives. Well, my best subject at school is English, and I personally always attempt narrative writing whenever faced with the options to choose from. But then again, I'm not saying that you'll do best in narratives too, because obviously, every individual is different, so you might be better at this while I'm at that. So first, you need to identify which mode of writing you're most comfortable with, and attempt that if it appears in your exam, because you'll do good when you're still in your comfort zone. If by chance, such a topic is not given, then you ought to have a second and third choice. You can know which modes you're good in, only by practice, so it comes back to the initial tip.

The idea of learning 5 new words every day is quite impressive, I must add. Nothing like an article/essay with proper vocabulary!
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do well. Good luck. :)

first of all , thanks.

u are quite right about me in pakistan. The thing is that our SIR(english teacher) is a strict person in giving marks. In class tests, when ever i do a narrative, i get 8 or 7 out of 20. Once , just once i got 9 when i did a descriptive/argumentative essay. I think i should advance my vocab and move to descriptive essay.

One thing more, the highest marks achieved bya boy in my class is bestfriend of mine. he got 16 out of 20 by narrative. He always writes narrative bcoz he is reading novel since he was 8. AND actually , i am jealous.

Reaction score
So, i used to get almost 80percent marks before entering Olevels (in English). But now when i have entered olevels , english is very tough here. Last time i got 44 marks out of hundred( there were 2 questions 25,25 marks, 1st was creative writing i got 10 out of 25, comprehension , i got 14out of 25. These marks are multiplied by 2 )

I thought i would result better next time. But hellNO!!!!!!!!!! This time i got 20 out of 50 marks (in paper 1 ) 10 out of 25 in creative writing and 10 out of 25 in report! again i got very less marks. Now the paper 2 is waiting! i think it will be easy bcoz there is no essay in it.

Friends please help me, in essay writing . i HAVE recently thought of a new technique . I will learn 5 word everyday and never attempt a narrative essay, But this will always fail when there is a report in paper

Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Improve Your Writing Skills! http://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/english-as-a-second-language-notes-compiled.21475/

Reaction score
What I would suggest to you is might sound lame but ehh,it works!

Read books,as many as you can.
Watch cartoons,and listen to what they are saying,how a story is developed in each episode etc. (none of the crap on tv these days,download Foster's home for imaginary friends,ed edd,and eddy,pokemon some good cartoon)
Read essays,of people in your class,just to get an idea.

And then find your style,remember and essay FILLED with fancy words wont get you an A,you need a good structured essay,whatever topic it is. Write from your heart,not to score an A. Write so that when you read it,you enjoy.

Before attempting the question,think about it. Think about it for at least 5-10 minutes,in this time,make a mindmap,or note down key points etc.See your story being played in your mind.

Once you do that,you'll do great InshaAllah! :)

(I got 88% in O-levels)

Reaction score
What I would suggest to you is might sound lame but ehh,it works!

Read books,as many as you can.
Watch cartoons,and listen to what they are saying,how a story is developed in each episode etc. (none of the crap on tv these days,download Foster's home for imaginary friends,ed edd,and eddy,pokemon some good cartoon)
Read essays,of people in your class,just to get an idea.

And then find your style,remember and essay FILLED with fancy words wont get you an A,you need a good structured essay,whatever topic it is. Write from your heart,not to score an A. Write so that when you read it,you enjoy.

Before attempting the question,think about it. Think about it for at least 5-10 minutes,in this time,make a mindmap,or note down key points etc.See your story being played in your mind.

Once you do that,you'll do great InshaAllah! :)

(I got 88% in O-levels)

that was great! #i'mgonnaworkonthat