• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Organic Chemistry

Reaction score
Can somebody please tell me... when we react say aq. Bromine with 4-Aminomethybenzene, do the Br groups join the ring relative to the Amino group or the Methyl Group? (both are 2,4 directing groups)

Reaction score
due to both!!!!
there's a question like this in p4 chem recent years
but there is some problem with the groups u've chosen
i mean one has to be meta directing ( 3 , 5) and one ortho and para (2,4)!

Reaction score
princesszahra said:
due to both!!!!
there's a question like this in p4 chem recent years
but there is some problem with the groups u've chosen
i mean one has to be meta directing ( 3 , 5) and one ortho and para (2,4)!
Whats wrong with the groups? 2 Ortho directing groups cant appear? eg. 4-Aminophenol?

Reaction score
can somebody plz help me with this question??
chem p4 part (c) (i) and (ii)

Reaction score
@stuck: the table given to us is for absorbance.
C is red and D is blue because OBSERVE colours are complementary to the colour absorb.
i hope u get it. :)

Reaction score
stuck said:
but how is C red and D blue??
The color which is least absorbed is the one transmitted i.e seen.Check the wavelength from the graph, which is the least absorbed and check color from the table given

Reaction score
oh sure ill try, coz im not at all gud at explaining :?
see v are given a table and a graph.
from graph v see d wavelength with d highest absorbance which is 450-500nm for C and 650nm for D.
Checking these values from the table the colours v get are blue for C and red for D,
but as i told u earlier these are absorbed colour and v r being asked for the observed colour
which is COMPLEMENTARY to d one absorbed.
Therefore, C is red and D is blue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal."

Reaction score
hmm...dats great :D
ur welcome.:)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal."

Reaction score
what do we have to learn in xray crystallography? :roll: i dunt understand it at all :(

mak

Reaction score
okk okkk thanx... but i din get why are they complementary to each other ?? for example if there was just one graph give lets say... C nd nO D... then which colour would b observed ???