• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

P1 andp3 AS Biology

Reaction score
Hey guys could anyone give any tips on how really to prepare for these papers. I always feel that paper 1 is tricky, and I have practiced a lot and still lose lots of marks.

Reaction score
For paper 1, try solving past papers and every time you get a question wrong, note it down somewhere in your book/copybook/revision guide so that you'll always remember the piece of information you made a mistake in. Reading the chapters again won't hurt either, and you can also write on a separate sheet of paper the information you forget the most. For example, names of enzymes or something like that.

As for paper 3, it depends more on how much you've practiced in the lab. Just keep memorizing food tests and search slides on the internet in order to practice on drawing plan diagrams. Most paper 3 marks are lost due to incorrect decimal places and/or units, so focus on that, too. When making a table to compare two figures, always make sure to make the table with closed boundaries and to have three headings: the compared feature, the first figure, and second figure. Also, be careful when performing calculations for serial dilution, as it might be tricky. When plotting a graph, always draw a line of best fit, unless stated otherwise.

That's all I can think of right now! If anyone has more, please add!

Reaction score
question 6, what could be possible answer and why?
Is it c? if it is i only measured the width of the cell membrane (from top pospholipid head to bot phospholipid head) and got 2 cm=20000000nm. You should know that cell membrane width is around 7-8nm and they even mention it. so mag=img/actual therefore mag= 20000000/8 = 2.5 x10 6.
Hope i helped

Reaction score
39 An insect consumes 180 J of plant material. Of this, 95 J of energy is passed out in the insect’s
faeces and 58 J is used for respiration.

Which percentage of the energy, in the original plant material taken in by the insect, is converted
into biomass?
A 10 % B 15 % C 32 % D 47 %

Reaction score
Is it 15%? If it is, this is what i did: [180-(95+58)]/180. Because the energy converted into biomass is the energy left in the insect after all the loses occured