• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

P1 MCQ's preparation thread for chemistry ONLY!!!!

Reaction score
Also:
I need the explanation:

13 How does concentrated sulfuric acid behave when it reacts with sodium chloride?
A as an acid only
B as an acid and oxidising agent
C as an oxidising agent only
D as a reducing agent only

Ans. is A.

And:
q13 - in attachment.
ANs. A again
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 9701_s10_qp_11.pdf
    185.4 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Reaction score
can someone give me solutions of nov2012 variant 12 q1 ,q4, q10, q23, q29, q33, q35, q39 and q40!! please tell me the solution soon! i am really worried

Reaction score
can someone give me solutions of nov2012 variant 12 q1 ,q4, q10, q23, q29, q33, q35, q39 and q40!! please tell me the solution soon! i am really worried

Have you tried reading the examiner's report? Common errors are often explained in there.

Reaction score
m /j 2012 pls variant 11

question 33, 37 explain

For 33, The answer is D, as nitrogen can have an ox. state of +5 in N2O5, therefore 2 is incorrect. 3 is incorrect too, as this would mean that nitrogen would not form any compounds, which is untrue. Which leaves 1 - this is correct as nitrogen's electronic config. is 1s2 2s2 2p3 and it has space to accommodate more electrons in its empty third sub-shell.

For 37, 3 is incorrect as a pi bond does not consist of delocalized electrons, it is just an area of high electron density. Remember that ethene, for example, cannot conduct electricity! That leaves 1 and 2, which are correct, so the answer is B.

I hope that helped :)

Reaction score
For 33, The answer is D, as nitrogen can have an ox. state of +5 in N2O5, therefore 2 is incorrect. 3 is incorrect too, as this would mean that nitrogen would not form any compounds, which is untrue. Which leaves 1 - this is correct as nitrogen's electronic config. is 1s2 2s2 2p3 and it has space to accommodate more electrons in its empty third sub-shell.

For 37, 3 is incorrect as a pi bond does not consist of delocalized electrons, it is just an area of high electron density. Remember that ethene, for example, cannot conduct electricity! That leaves 1 and 2, which are correct, so the answer is B.

I hope that helped :)

can u plz help me with this http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s12_qp_11.pdf q9.thanks alot!

Reaction score
yeah sorry it does react and an O is attached to both ends of the double bond! my bad :p

Sorry for Bro :p #examtime
What do you mean that an O is attached to both end of alkene? CAn you tell me the product of this reation?

Reaction score
A question:
(I'll just summarize it:)

3 equations:

Cl2 + 2H20 + SO2 ---> 2HCl + H2SO4
Cl2 + H2S ----> 2HCl
SO2 + 2H2S ---> 2H2O + 3S

What's the correct order of strength of the 3 reacting gases as REDUCING agents?

Strongest Weakest
A Cl2 H2S SO2
B Chlorine SO2 H2S
C Hydrogen Sulfide SO2 Cl2
D Sulfur dioxide H2S Cl2

The answer is C.
Anyone who can explain why??
Thank u in advance!

In the first reaction SO2 reduces Cl2 to HCL. So it is stronger reducing agent than Cl2. SO2 > Cl2
In the second reaction H2S reduces Cl2 to HCl. So it is stronger than Cl2. H2S > Cl2
In third reaction H2S reduces SO2 to S. So it's stronger than SO2. H2S> SO2
H2S> SO2> Cl2

Reaction score
s10_qp11:
Q22:

What will react differently with the two isomeric alcohols, (CH3)
CCH2
OH and
(CH3)
CHCH2
CH2
OH?
A acidified aqueous potassium manganate(VII)
B concentrated sulfuric acid
C phosphorus pentachloride
D sodium

Answer's B. WHY?

First one is a tertiary alcohol. If you draw out the structure you would see that it cannot be dehydrated as the carbon adjacent to the carbon which is attached to OH group has no H attached. The second one can be dehydrated using Sulpuric Acid.

Reaction score
Also:
I need the explanation:

13 How does concentrated sulfuric acid behave when it reacts with sodium chloride?
A as an acid only
B as an acid and oxidising agent
C as an oxidising agent only
D as a reducing agent only

Ans. is A.

And:
q13 - in attachment.
ANs. A again
Thanks in advance.

Sulphuric Acid reacts as an acid only as it does not oxidise the HCl formed. In reactions with NaBr and NaI the products are further oxidised.