• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Paper variants

Reaction score
Why are there many variants for a paper? e.g. Physic 21/22/23
To who/where does each variant belongs to?
Which is more difficult among the variants (1/2/3/...)?
Is October/November session always harder than May/June session?
Is it allowed to repeat only one particular subject?

Reaction score
Why are there many variants for a paper? e.g. Physic 21/22/23

Why are there many variants for a paper?
-That is to avoid Cheating.. the papers in one region start at like 8:00GMT .. then the next region starts at 12:00GMT.. and so on.. which led to cheating previously.. as a person from Australia can tell a person from UK what was coming easily.. as they are easily 7 or 8 hours away and each paper is just 1 or 2 hour long..

-That info can be checked on CIE website.. there are 6 different zones..
From the CIE Website:
2Rgb0.png

-It's different each year.. and the Grade threshold for each variant is different as well according to difficulty.
-For Sciences and Maths yes. That's from looking at the past papers.. but it's not ALWAYS harder..

-No .. As far as I know you can repeat more than one subject in one sitting.. But I am not sure..

Reaction score
Why are there many variants for a paper?
-That is to avoid Cheating.. the papers in one region start at like 8:00GMT .. then the next region starts at 12:00GMT.. and so on.. which led to cheating previously.. as a person from Australia can tell a person from UK what was coming easily.. as they are easily 7 or 8 hours away and each paper is just 1 or 2 hour long..

-That info can be checked on CIE website.. there are 6 different zones..
From the CIE Website:
2Rgb0.png

-It's different each year.. and the Grade threshold for each variant is different as well according to difficulty.
-For Sciences and Maths yes. That's from looking at the past papers.. but it's not ALWAYS harder..

-No .. As far as I know you can repeat more than one subject in one sitting.. But I am not sure..
I am taking the May/June 2013 session. In case I have to repeat, should I repeat on October/November 2013 (which is harder) or May/June 2014 (which I need to take the repeat papers together with A2 papers). I'm taking 4 subjects.

Reaction score
I am taking the May/June 2013 session. In case I have to repeat, should I repeat on October/November 2013 (which is harder) or May/June 2014 (which I need to take the repeat papers together with A2 papers). I'm taking 4 subjects.

Take in October/November, because the load will be too much if you repeat in M/J along with A2 papers... And If you prepare well you won't find the november papers hard... But If you have both A2 and AS at the same time.. you will definitely find them hard.. since the schedule will be very congested .. you will have days when you will have to give 4 or 5 papers in a row!

Btw what subjects do you have?

Reaction score
Take in October/November, because the load will be too much if you repeat in M/J along with A2 papers... And If you prepare well you won't find the november papers hard... But If you have both A2 and AS at the same time.. you will definitely find them hard.. since the schedule will be very congested .. you will have days when you will have to give 4 or 5 papers in a row!

Btw what subjects do you have?
Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths

Reaction score
Hmm.. which subjects do you think you will have to repeat? And why? There are still MCQs and Practicals left...
Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths

Yeah man . So what if you didnt do well in theory . its only about half your grade . besides just hope the threshold falls and gain marks in the practical n MCQ . you have almost a month left to prepare . Always be positive and Allah will guide you :D

Reaction score
Hmm.. which subjects do you think you will have to repeat? And why? There are still MCQs and Practicals left...
Physics only. I'm aiming for an A*. Hoping to get into Imperial College. In theory, I can still get that if I get very high marks for MCQ and practical but the chances are thin.

Reaction score
Physics only. I'm aiming for an A*. Hoping to get into Imperial College. In theory, I can still get that if I get very high marks for MCQ and practical but the chances are thin.

Hmm good luck there :) But there is no A* in AS level.. If you get an A in AS.. it can be transformed into an A* easily.. you just have to prepare hard in A Levels for P4 for that and get good marks in P4.

Reaction score
Hmm good luck there :) But there is no A* in AS level.. If you get an A in AS.. it can be transformed into an A* easily.. you just have to prepare hard in A Levels for P4 for that and get good marks in P4.
Easily? If I get 80% for AS and 98%(which is impossible) for A2, on average I will get 89%.

Reaction score
Easily? If I get 80% for AS and 98%(which is impossible) for A2, on average I will get 89%.

Well.. you are not taking the grade thresholds into account...

May/June 2012 : You needed 182/260 at most to get A* in this M/J 12...

Source: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s12_gt.pdf

October/November 2012 : You needed 175/260 at most to get A* in this O/N 12 session ...

Source: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w12_gt.pdf

The GT has always been like that for physics...

186/260 in Oct/Nov 11 and 176/260 in May/June 11.. so yeah it should be pretty easy for you to get an A* if you score 80% in AS (104/130 Marks) since you'd practically need 96/130 Marks (75% at A2) at most.. which would make your total 200 which is way more than your usual threshold for A*.

Reaction score
Well.. you are not taking the grade thresholds into account...

May/June 2012 : You needed 182/260 at most to get A* in this M/J 12...

Source: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s12_gt.pdf

October/November 2012 : You needed 175/260 at most to get A* in this O/N 12 session ...

Source: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w12_gt.pdf

The GT has always been like that for physics...

186/260 in Oct/Nov 11 and 176/260 in May/June 11.. so yeah it should be pretty easy for you to get an A* if you score 80% in AS (104/130 Marks) since you'd practically need 96/130 Marks (75% at A2) at most.. which would make your total 200 which is way more than your usual threshold for A*.
So easy...wow! But the GT spoil the challenge, thrill and fun.