• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

pH

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
if an acid for eg. HCl ,there r 2 sol. , one is concentrated & the other dilute so there pH will be the same ,right or..?

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
if an acid for eg. HCl ,there r 2 sol. , one is concentrated & the other dilute so there pH will be the same ,right or..?

Nope , it would change because the concentration of H+ ions is more in the concentrated one , and less in the dilute one

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
so u mean if HCl which is a strong acid if dilute will have a higher pH than 2.I dont think so ,i am so confused :?

Reaction score
well the dilute will have a higher pH around 2ish cuz there are water atoms in it too which will act as a netural solution so it will not be the same!

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
so u mean if HCl which is a strong acid if dilute will have a higher pH than 2.I dont think so ,i am so confused :?

It is not related to the strength or weakness of the acid , it is related to the number of moles per volume , a 37% hydrochloric acid solution would have more H+ ions and Cl- ions than a 10% Hydrochloric acid solution.

Lowest pH = Concentrated Acid , Highest = concentrated Alkaline , Dilute acid = Higher than the lowest by a little bit.

Reaction score
pH is a measure of the power of hydrogen ions. With that in mind i agree with the above post!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
SuperXDE said:
Math_angel said:

It is not related to the strength or weakness of the acid , it is related to the number of moles per volume , a 37% hydrochloric acid solution would have more H+ ions and Cl- ions than a 10% Hydrochloric acid solution.

Lowest pH = Concentrated Acid , Highest = concentrated Alkaline , Dilute acid = Higher than the lowest by a little bit.
but we say that a strong acid has a pH arnd 0-2

Reaction score
At IGCSE just remember a low pH indicates a high concentration of hydrogen ions per unit volume.