• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Photography..IS IT HARAM????

Reaction score
i have one question ; why did u ask 4 our opinion after reading all the fatwas with references 4rm QURAN and HADIS...?was this not enough...............;sory if u find this rude...bt u should not do this..
CONFUSION COMES HERE..at the time of the Prophet(PBUH)...whatever was haram was clearly declared haram..like perfumes,,alchol etc,,but what was not HARAM but should be AVOIDED were not clearly declared HARAM..like music for examle..u will never find a verse saying MUSIC IS HARAM..bt shd be avoided..same with photography..if its sketching..the Prophet clearly cursed those who sketched..so it IS HARAM. but photography..i dont thisnk is clearly declared as HARAM..or is it..do u have any info..if do u do plz post..and ur point is right..as long as its not confirmed..we shd avoid it..but what about the photos taken in the past..shd i delete them all..

Reaction score
CONFUSION COMES HERE..at the time of the Prophet(PBUH)...whatever was haram was clearly declared haram..like perfumes,,alchol etc,,but what was not HARAM but should be AVOIDED were not clearly declared HARAM..like music for examle..u will never find a verse saying MUSIC IS HARAM..bt shd be avoided..same with photography..if its sketching..the Prophet clearly cursed those who sketched..so it IS HARAM. but photography..i dont thisnk is clearly declared as HARAM..or is it..do u have any inso..if do u do plz post..and ur point is right..as long as its not confirmed..we shd avoid it..but what about the photos taken in the past..shd i delete them all..

again brother..if they are photos of humans then i think you should....

Reaction score
What are videos, brother? Aren't they as well captured images? They all lie under the same category:)
but some fatwas say STILLS..videos are not stills..even islamic scholars get their lectures and all recorded and shown on TV..so does that not count..btw thanx for ur time ppl..really helping me out..

Reaction score
but some fatwas say STILLS..videos are not stills..even islamic scholars get their lectures and all recorded and shown on TV..so does that not count..btw thanx for ur time ppl..really helping me out..

A video is a collection of images. If you make a number of images move very fast, that's a video.

Reaction score

According to the fatwas you have posted.. they say animatedpictures...and animated means moving or still in that sense..because the point is whather or not human figures captured in the camera are haram..and this can be either in video or stil photo..so if it is not considered haram to capture these human figures in videos, then it shouldn't be considered haram if captured in photos i guess....don't you think?

and you're welcome:) YOu're being rewarded for all of our replies inshAllah!

Reaction score
According to the fatwas you have posted.. they say animatedpictures...and animated means moving or still in that sense..because the point is whather or not human figures captured in the camera are haram..and this can be either in video or stil photo..so if it is not considered haram to capture these human figures in videos, then it shouldn't be considered haram if captured in photos i guess....don't you think?

and you're welcome:) YOu're being rewarded for all of our replies inshAllah!
well i guess its ur intention that matters in everything..but we should always pray to Allah to lead us to the right..for now..i tink i shud stop taking pix cuz this topic has come up..i'll have to some more research and then see..thanks to do u and all who participated,,JAZAKALLAH..

Reaction score
Let me sum up everything regarding this thread.

Taking Pictures and recording Videos is not Haram as long as they are modest.
The world we live in today.
Pictures are essential.
The Videos of Islamic Scholars need to be projected to the entire Muslim World.
News needs to be projected to everyone, to tell them what's happening.
Without a picture, Criminals won't be caught. Murders would take place.
Pictures are merely reflections captured in a Camera Lens.
And Video is a collection of reflections captured in a lens.
So both of them are not Haram!
It is perfectly okay to take pictures in order to remember our past.

But Sketching and Drawing Humans and Animals is very much Haram.

Holy Prophet(pbuh) said:

1) ''Those who make images will be punished on the Day of Judgement and it will be said to them 'Make Alive what you have created''' [Sahih Bukhari And Muslim]
2) ''The Most severely punished people on the Day of Judgement would be the Image Makers'' [Sahih Bukhari]

Reaction score
well i guess its ur intention that matters in everything..but we should always pray to Allah to lead us to the right..for now..i tink i shud stop taking pix cuz this topic has come up..i'll have to some more research and then see..thanks to u and all who participated,,JAZAKALLAH..

Yes you're right:)
Wa iyyakum...and JAzakAllahu Khair for raising sucha topic, we all need it:)

Reaction score

Pictures are essential.

Holy Prophet(pbuh) said:

1) ''Those who make images will be punished on the Day of Judgement and it will be said to them 'Make Alive what you have created''' [Sahih Bukhari And Muslim]
2) ''The Most severely punished people on the Day of Judgement would be the Image Makers'' [Sahih Bukhari]

yeah..but let's not make it a general rule though...it might lead to consequences..

Reaction score

Pictures are essential.

Holy Prophet(pbuh) said:

we should wait and see..and ya the modest point is very much true,,pix taken to remember our relatives whom we cant see for years is OK i guess as long as we dont hang them on our walls..JAZAKALLAH

Reaction score
CONFUSION COMES HERE..at the time of the Prophet(PBUH)...whatever was haram was clearly declared haram..like perfumes,,alchol etc,,but what was not HARAM but should be AVOIDED were not clearly declared HARAM..like music for examle..u will never find a verse saying MUSIC IS HARAM..bt shd be avoided..same with photography..if its sketching..the Prophet clearly cursed those who sketched..so it IS HARAM. but photography..i dont thisnk is clearly declared as HARAM..or is it..do u have any info..if do u do plz post..and ur point is right..as long as its not confirmed..we shd avoid it..but what about the photos taken in the past..shd i delete them all..

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 7.494B Narrated by Abu Amir
that he heard the Prophet (saws) saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.”

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 3153 Narrated by Muhammad ibn Hatib al-Jumahi
The Prophet (saws) said, "The distinction between what is lawful and what is unlawful is the song and the tambourine at a wedding."

Reaction score
Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 7.494B Narrated by Abu Amir
that he heard the Prophet (saws) saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.”

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 3153 Narrated by Muhammad ibn Hatib al-Jumahi
The Prophet (saws) said, "The distinction between what is lawful and what is unlawful is the song and the tambourine at a wedding."

‘music’ per say is not forbidden in Islam; what is indeed forbidden in Islam is the illegal string music which is so rampant in movies, television, radios, etc. which encourage ‘fahisha’ and indecency.
Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 3154 Narrated by Aisha
I had a girl of the Ansar whom I gave in marriage, and Allah's Messenger (saws) said, "Why do you not sing, Aisha, for this clan of the Ansar like singing."SOURCE http://www.islamhelpline.net

Reaction score
‘music’ per say is not forbidden in Islam; what is indeed forbidden in Islam is the illegal string music which is so rampant in movies, television, radios, etc. which encourage ‘fahisha’ and indecency.
Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 3154 Narrated by Aisha
I had a girl of the Ansar whom I gave in marriage, and Allah's Messenger (saws) said, "Why do you not sing, Aisha, for this clan of the Ansar like singing."
thanx for sharing..

Reaction score
photography is not haram. And please tell me the practical harms of photography and sketching. Coz Allah des not declare anything haram which is not harmful for us. E.g . Alcohol is haram and u know its harms too but what are the harms of photography. The ahadis above can also refer to idol making for shirk which is haram. But what is the harm frm sketching.