• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

phy p4 small doubt

Reaction score
work done ON the system in negative
work done BY the system is positive

Reaction score
when you write the first law of thermodynamics, be sure initially the convention you apply and then stick to it through out the question
for example,
let's say that Q= ^U+^W
this is what i have adopted in this heat supplied to the system is equal to the increase in bla bla + WORK DONE "BY" THE SYSTEM .. hence work done by the system is taken positive for this convention
OR
if ^U= Q + ^W
then accordingly increase in internal energy is equal to the heat supplied + work done on the system ..
hence in this case you may say that work done takes a positive sign when it is done on the system !!
hope i have played my part ;)

Reaction score
@nannes:
u r totally wrong boi..... On the system is + ve
by the system is -ve

sharam nai aati dusron ko confuse kartay waqt...ganday bachay.. :p

Reaction score
Mate, I guess you are wrong. Check out Pacific Physics Vol.1 page 472

Theres this whole table given.
Work done on System is negative
Work done by system is positive

Reaction score
oh i see that in there.....
dude, what the equation there is, delta Q = delta U + delta W

the actual eq quoted everywhere is delta U = Q + delta W

u r rite in ur own way, bt believe me even in past ppr questions, increase in int energy of a system is equal to heat suplied to system and work done on the system U = Q + W

Reaction score
dude u migh hav been taught dat..but CIE normally follows U=Q+W....check it in past pprz too!!