• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics 43!! How was it?? Expected GT anyone?

Reaction score
Anyway, recall the first task, where you should find the binding energy of uranium. how would you solve that without knowing masses of proton and neutron (which were given). The table contained the 3 headings: particle/ mass and binding energy per nucleon. Data for every particle and nuclei was given. The masses as well, so I don't see any evidence that my approach is incorrect.

Reaction score
No. I didn't round it up to 200. I got something like 199.89 etc. It is because the neutrons were also the products of the reaction.

Reaction score
all i did for that was find the mass of uranium using the proton and neutron valuses they gave, then found the mass defect, then put the mass defect into e=mc2 and i got 7.18Mev after i divided it by the charge of the electron
I am trying to say that the masses were given for all the nuclei and particles. don't you remember the voltage in de Broglie problem?

Reaction score
ohhh, you do know that the neutrons dont contribute to the enrgy that is released, the have no binding enery, they are on bonded to anything else they are just free neutron, thats like one of the basic things
I don't know how to explain it to you. We had mass-energy before the reaction and after. All the lost mass is the energy released.

Reaction score
The mass-energy is conserved. I don't say anything about neutrons. All the lost mass is the energy released.

Reaction score
I find it difficult :cry: hope that the gt will be around 50 so that i might still stand a chance to get A :(
By the way, anyone here knows how exactly to convert the marks? I mean like I got 87 in AS level, so how many marks must I score for paper 4 and paper 5 to get an A?
i got exact 87 in biology..

Reaction score
but then your working is gonna be diff from what you actually had to do, i wonder if that matters though
I did RHS-lhs but for some reason I didn't get the wanted answer for some reason, lol. I did write down the working, though

Reaction score
find the mass defect and put it into e=mc2, for uranium, but for the first one keep it in atomic mass units and you get 1.808u
I did the 2 larger nucleons plus 1 neutron and 7 electrons minus the uranium nucleus or something