• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics ATP

Reaction score
For the May June 2006 3(a) You simply have to make a circuit, connect the bulb and battery in series, and join them to the 'puzzle box'. 3(b) You have to state that you would check the brightness of the bulb[in case there is a resistor] or reverse the way the puzzle box is connected to the rest of the circuit[in case of diode].

In the Oct Nov 2005 paper, 3(a)(ii) the focal length will increase because now the image will be further.

If you still don't get these, tell me and I'll go into more detail, though you should know all this seeing as the ATP is tomorrow.

Reaction score
ISCLHRTSR said:
For the May June 2006 3(a) You simply have to make a circuit, connect the bulb and battery in series, and join them to the 'puzzle box'. 3(b) You have to state that you would check the brightness of the bulb[in case there is a resistor] or reverse the way the puzzle box is connected to the rest of the circuit[in case of diode].

In the Oct Nov 2005 paper, 3(a)(ii) the focal length will increase because now the image will be further.

If you still don't get these, tell me and I'll go into more detail, though you should know all this seeing as the ATP is tomorrow.

no offence but in oct nov 2005 the focal length will be same as a lens has a fixed focal length..... it cannot change..... so there will be no effect on f as each lens has a fixed focal length

Reaction score
What's so difficult
For finding the focal length of a convex lens.
Place an object...a convex lens and a screen in line on the same axis
and a lamp behind the object
Adjust the lens towards or away from the screen until a sharp image of the object appears on the screen
Measure the distance between the lens and the screen
That is the focal length!

As for the other question...reverse the connections of the battery and make the neseccary observations.
If its a broken wire the lamp wont light up at all
If its a diode then it will light up...when it is forward biased that is only one time. Not after reversing the connections (terminals of battery)
If its a resistor then the lamp would light dimly because of resistance
Connecting Lead would make the bulb/lamp light :D

Thats all !

Reaction score
ISCLHRTSR: Thanks a lot! :)

no offence but in oct nov 2005 the focal length will be same as a lens has a fixed focal length..... it cannot change..... so there will be no effect on f as each lens has a fixed focal length
That's what I initially thought but according to the marking scheme, the value of f will become larger.

donorsolutions: That was the answer to part (a) (i). I was talking about part (a) (ii). Thanks for the explanation though.

Reaction score
to find the lenght of the pendulum do we have to add the radius of the bob? why?

Reaction score
superfly said:
to find the lenght of the pendulum do we have to add the radius of the bob? why?

well this question also...bugs my mind
can someone plzzz help .....???

Do we have to add the radius for the length of pendulum the redspot solutions says you have to...

Reaction score
adnanj said:
@donor solution can u plz explain me q 3 and 4 of this paper..

http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridg ... _qp_41.pdf

plzzz

This is not a difficult question....
all you have to do is show up a circuit diagram.
The diagram should include a beaker with oil and thermistor immersed in the oil.Secondly, the voltmeter should be connected in parallel with the thermistor and an ammeter in series with a variable resistor and a power supply.Furthermore,a thermometer will be placed in the solution.You can get a good hint from just watching the question in November 2004 (Q2)

Once this has been done the variable resisitor can be arranged to increase the current and variably the temperature of thermistor.
Resistance values can be obtained by = Voltmeter Reading/Ammeter Reading

Best of Luck! :)

Reaction score
donorsolutions: That was the answer to part (a) (i). I was talking about part (a) (ii). Thanks for the explanation though.[/quote]

Well!...focal length will be too large because as long as i think the distance is less (about 4 m) comparativley and therefore the rays wont be parallel ???