• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
hey,
can you please help me in physics(o625)/summer 2000/paper 1 in these questions:
Q6
Q11
Q33
Thnx
:D

Attachments

• 0625_s00_qp_01.pdf
    468.1 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
hey,
can you please help me in physics(o625)/summer 2000/paper 1 in these questions:
Q6
Q11
Q33
Thnx
:D
6) D, mass is always the same so we need a digital balance to give direct answers.
11) I'd say D also as the "pipe" is on the bottom and water level on the other side is low.
33) A, as the fuse can take 12A and the cable takes 5A only so it will over heat and melt the insulation.
btw the answer in the "markscheme" of freeexampapers for q6 is wrong, as it isn't a CIE ms it is someone that solved the questions.

Reaction score
srry i
6) D, mass is always the same so we need a digital balance to give direct answers.
11) I'd say D also as the "pipe" is on the bottom and water level on the other side is low.
33) A, as the fuse can take 12A and the cable takes 5A only so it will over heat and melt the insulation.
btw the answer in the "markscheme" of freeexampapers for q6 is wrong, as it isn't a CIE ms it is someone that solved the questions.
didnt understand them,can u explain them in details
and btw how the answer in ms would be wrong!!!
Thnx for ur help

Reaction score
For Q21, the answer is A because the angle of refraction is bigger than the incidence as it is from glass to air. Also it is not totally refracted some is reflected.
It's not B because the angle of incidence is less than the critical angle.
It's not C because speed of light is faster in air so the refraction angle must be larger as I said earlier.
It's not D because there is nothing like that ( In our syllabus at least ).

For 39 I had the same doubt about it so I asked about it, the electron that the sample releases on decay is actually a neutron which is negatively charged so a neutron is lost.
Thanks for elaborating your answer which made me understand clearly

Reaction score
srry i
didnt understand them,can u explain them in details
and btw how the answer in ms would be wrong!!!
Thnx for ur help

1) It is not a MS from CIE, as I found other mistakes.
2) I re-solved the question and I see why it is the top pan balance, as all others depend on weight but not the top pan balance which depends on mass.
Here I will explain them again;
11) When the water on the left side of the barrier is high then the water coming from the right side would require more energy not to push the turbines but also to push the water on the right side so it's not A or C, and if the pipe with the turbine is placed on a high place like B the water bellow the pipe won't reach it so it wont move through the pipe to generate electricity so the output is lower than D. Thus the answer is D.
33) The cable comes from a bulb, the cable takes 5A or it will overheat, the kettle needs a cable with 12A.
It is not B as the fuse is from the kettle so it wont melt.
It is C because that's not a problem it is a kettle it is supposed to heat.
It is not D because the current is the same from the kettle the problem is with the wiring.
Which makes the answer A.

Reaction score

q21) B,Speed of waves is less in shallow water, S=f*lambda. So if the speed decreases the frequency is constant so the wavelength decreases which brings the wavefronts closer together.
q22) C, You have to draw a normal line in this question to help you, so the light enters it also slows down so the angle of refraction is less which is like C, but not to D, and then when leaving it speeds up again. tbh it is simple. :\
q26) C, the needle is attracted to the north because it is magnetically south. And it repels when placed near a like pole which is the south.