• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Copper(II) oxide and carbon are both black solids. Copper(II) oxide reacts with dilute sulfuric
acid to form aqueous copper(II) sulfate. Carbon does not react with dilute sulfuric acid.
You are given a mixture of copper(II) oxide and carbon and access to dilute sulfuric acid.
Plan an experiment to investigate the percentage of copper(II) oxide in the mixture.
i have the same doubt

Reaction score
problems of an investigatory nature, possibly including suitable organic compounds
this is written in the syllabus of 2014 and i don't know what it means or what are the

experiments that include organic compounds?
as it is written possibly including suitable organic compound means there are other problems of an investigatory nature what are they???

help pleaaaaassssssssseeeee

Last edited:
Reaction score
Copper(II) oxide and carbon are both black solids. Copper(II) oxide reacts with dilute sulfuric
acid to form aqueous copper(II) sulfate. Carbon does not react with dilute sulfuric acid.
You are given a mixture of copper(II) oxide and carbon and access to dilute sulfuric acid.
Plan an experiment to investigate the percentage of copper(II) oxide in the mixture.

help please :cry:

Reaction score

i'm not 100% sure this is right i just answered it as i think it should be if you know from which pp is it then check the ms i don't know which year is it so not sure
measure the mass of the mixture using a n electronic balance. put the mixture in a beaker then add dilute sulfuric acid using a measuring cylinder .some of the mixture will react to produce copper sulfate which is blue and the rest will be a black solid filter it then dry the residue by putting it in an evaporating dish so liquid will evaporate.measure the mass of the solid.subtract the mass of the solid from the mass of the mixture this will give the mass of copper oxide.dividing the mass of copper oxide over the mass of the mixture multiplied by 100 will give the percentage of copper oxide in the mixture.
i hope this helps

Reaction score
i'm not 100% sure this is right i just answered it as i think it should be if you know from which pp is it then check the ms i don't know which year is it so not sure
measure the mass of the mixture using a n electronic balance. put the mixture in a beaker then add dilute sulfuric acid using a measuring cylinder .some of the mixture will react to produce copper sulfate which is blue and the rest will be a black solid filter it then dry the residue by putting it in an evaporating dish so liquid will evaporate.measure the mass of the solid.subtract the mass of the solid from the mass of the mixture this will give the mass of copper oxide.dividing the mass of copper oxide over the mass of the mixture multiplied by 100 will give the percentage of copper oxide in the mixture.
i hope this helps
PAPER 61 2013 may june
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Chemistry (0620)/0620_s13_qp_61.pdf

the answer is wrong-it ignores any process of crystalization

Reaction score

1. using burette add 25cm3 H2SO4
2. than add CuO and C mxture to it and weigh it
3. provide heat
4. due to reaction , carbon remains unreacted n nt also dissolve in water
5. aqueous solution of copper sulphate is formed
6. filter and reweigh the filtrate
7. find percentage by dividing mass in (6) by mass in (2) and than multiply by 100

Reaction score
20 cm cube of H2SO4 reacted with 2cm of magnesium ribbon and the temperature rise noted.
What effect on temperature would the reaction of 40 cm cube of H2SO4 with the same length of Mg ribbon have?
Awesome12

Last edited:
Reaction score
problems of an investigatory nature, possibly including suitable organic compounds
this is written in the syllabus of 2014 and i don't know what it means or what are the

experiments that include organic compounds?
as it is written possibly including suitable organic compound means there are other problems of an investigatory nature what are they???

help pleaaaaassssssssseeeee:cry: