• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can some one explain this part of the syllabus for me:
Explain why there is an increased efficiency in supplying green plants as human food and that there is a relative inefficiency, in terms of energy loss, in feeding crop plants to animals

In my notes the explanation is as follows"
If plants are fed to animals, and the animals are then eaten, it is less efficient than directly eating the plants, because the animal hasn’t used up some of the plants energy, allowing plants to feed more people.
with an increase in each trophic level, about 10% of energy is lost by the animals due to, respiration, excretion, and other metabolic processes.
Thus it is more efficient to consume on green plants rather than animal food for, only 10% of energy provided by plants would be attained through thd animals.

hope this helps...:)

Reaction score
I need help in understanding the relationship between sickle cell anaemia/allele and malaria: how come areas where malaria is common are also the areas where sickle cell anaemia/allele is common? Doesn't a heterozygous individual have a resistance to malaria, which means that malaria should NOT be common where the sickle cell allele is common?

If it helps, check Q5(d) in this paper: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Biology (0610)/0610_s09_qp_3.pdf.

Reaction score
what do we have to know about negative feedback and hormones in food production ? and what do we have to know about behavior ? only taxis right ? or also the definition of it ? please reply ASAP

Reaction score
I need help in understanding the relationship between sickle cell anaemia/allele and malaria: how come areas where malaria is common are also the areas where sickle cell anaemia/allele is common? Doesn't a heterozygous individual have a resistance to malaria, which means that malaria should NOT be common where the sickle cell allele is common?

If it helps, check Q5(d) in this paper: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Biology (0610)/0610_s09_qp_3.pdf.
heterozygous individuals do not suffer from sickle cell anaemia, thus they are less resistive to the disease for, their RBCs are not sickle shaped

Reaction score
Guys, what do we need to know about Deamination? Is the definition from the syllabus enough?
deamination : the removal of nitrogen containing compound in amino acids as urea then follows the production of energy from the remaining .
it's broken down into organic acid : stored as fats and carbohydrates and amine group : -changes to ammonia by certain reactions then ammonia combines with CO2 and becomes urea which is excreted with urine :D