• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hi, could you please help me with 3 questions (Biology paper1)

1) November 1994

36626814.png

Mark Scheme: D

Why isn't the answer A or B.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
2) November 1994

88358454.png

Mark Scheme : D

Doesn't the plant respire producing CO2
So answer should be , in my opinion, water and carbon cycle (which is not found in the choices)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3) November 1999

23601745.png

Could you explain it for me

Thanks in Advance.

Reaction score
Hi, could you please help me with 3 questions (Biology paper1)

1) November 1994

36626814.png

Why isn't the answer A or B.
2) November 1994

88358454.png

Mark Scheme : D

Doesn't the plant respire producing CO2
So answer should be , in my opinion, water and carbon cycle (which is not found in the choices)

3) November 1999

23601745.png

Could you explain it for me

Thanks in Advance.
i cant see any of the questions, all i see is a frog :/

Reaction score
i've found the second question in Nov 1994, it is only water cycle because in the question if u looked carefully u will find an arrow pointing from the xylem vessels, this means it must be water :) and so the answer is water cycle only as CO2 comes from the air not from the xylem vessels :)

Reaction score
28) Increase in drymass(mass without water) actually increases when the seedling has produced leaves and able to photosynthesise so able to make sugar which increases the drymass.

For 36) it shows an arrow leaving a leave so water leaves the leaves usually by transpiration so its a part of the water cyle

37) usually when u add a limiting factor the population either increases or decreases so B and C are completely wrong... the population should have its 4 stages

lag
log
stationary
and death phase
(when theres NO limiting factors)
Which are clearly shown on D

Hope thats good expl

Reaction score
Does anyone have the markscheme for igcse paper 1 from 1994-2000 chemistry? Please if anyone does can you post it i need it urgently

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Chemistry (0620)/0620_w07_qp_1.pdf
q11 how can we find that the answer is B :/ please explain
q18 the answer is C but no idea how to find :/
q20 the answer is B :/
q23 if rubidium is below potassium so how can it react with water faster :/ the answer is C

q11- try evy 1: C5H11OH + 8O2 = __CO2 + __H2O
C5H11OH + 8O2 = 5CO2 + 6H2O----u can c dat dis isnt balanced, so go 2 d nxt
C6H9OH + 8O2 = _CO2 + _H2O
C6H9OH + 8O2 = 6CO2 + 5H2O---dis is balanced, so if u still want 2 chk wid others do d sm way or tick dis n go ahead

q18- i think reactivitey series sys dat Zn & Mg will react, n Cu is v unereactive, so it won't dat gives u C

q20- C reacts wid O2 in air 2 4m CO2, gas, which leaves 4m d open end, Cu + O2 is coppre oxide, which is a solid, n stays, due 2 d xtra oxygen, d copper thing will have more mass, n as CO2 hs left 4m d C tube, it'll have lesser mass

q23-reactivity 4 metals increases as u go down d grp, it decreases 4 non metals as u go down. so it'll b more reactive if its lower.
:)

sorry if im not clr

Reaction score
q11- try evy 1: C5H11OH + 8O2 = __CO2 + __H2O
C5H11OH + 8O2 = 5CO2 + 6H2O----u can c dat dis isnt balanced, so go 2 d nxt
C6H9OH + 8O2 = _CO2 + _H2O
C6H9OH + 8O2 = 6CO2 + 5H2O---dis is balanced, so if u still want 2 chk wid others do d sm way or tick dis n go ahead

q18- i think reactivitey series sys dat Zn & Mg will react, n Cu is v unereactive, so it won't dat gives u C

q20- C reacts wid O2 in air 2 4m CO2, gas, which leaves 4m d open end, Cu + O2 is coppre oxide, which is a solid, n stays, due 2 d xtra oxygen, d copper thing will have more mass, n as CO2 hs left 4m d C tube, it'll have lesser mass

q23-reactivity 4 metals increases as u go down d grp, it decreases 4 non metals as u go down. so it'll b more reactive if its lower.
:)

sorry if im not clr
thank u soooooooo very much :D

Reaction score
i've found the second question in Nov 1994, it is only water cycle because in the question if u looked carefully u will find an arrow pointing from the xylem vessels, this means it must be water :) and so the answer is water cycle only as CO2 comes from the air not from the xylem vessels :)

Reaction score
28) Increase in drymass(mass without water) actually increases when the seedling has produced leaves and able to photosynthesise so able to make sugar which increases the drymass.

For 36) it shows an arrow leaving a leave so water leaves the leaves usually by transpiration so its a part of the water cyle

37) usually when u add a limiting factor the population either increases or decreases so B and C are completely wrong... the population should have its 4 stages

lag
log
stationary
and death phase

Hope thats good expl

thanks for expl. I understood 36

28) doesn't the dry mass increase when number of cells increase?

37) if there are no limiting factors so why is there a death phase. The population should increase continuously.
And could you explain what are limiting factors and their effects.

Thanks again for your help

Reaction score
And also for the question about the apparatus needed in the exothermic and the endothermic question ur rite..Can u believe i didn't read the part which says "mixing equal volumes of the 2 solutions"!!!!
Hey! Do u have the markscheme for chemistry paper 1 from 1994-2000?

Reaction score
thanks for expl. I understood 36

28) doesn't the dry mass increase when number of cells increase?

37) if there are no limiting factors so why is there a death phase. The population should increase continuously.
And could you explain what are limiting factors and their effects.

Thanks again for your help
Are you sure of the mark scheme answer for 37??!:confused:
I believe it should be B.
For 28, Yes, photosynthesis increases cell no. but when still under the soil, the seed is using the available food store in the cotyledon and is not getting extra nutrients from the soil so DRY mass remains constant!

Reaction score

lag
log
stationary
and death phase

Hope thats good expl

Stationary and death phases only appear because of the incidence of a limiting factor :cautious: !