• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
give a reason for each of the following statements
a) Before using an indicator paper to test for ammonia, the paper should be moistened with water. (why)
b) if an aqueous solution is known to contain either Al(3+) aqueous or Zn(2+) aqueous , addition of aqueous ammonia will show which ion is present.
c) when testing for chloride, the solution should be acidified with dilute nitric acid before either aqueous silver nitrate or aqueous lead(II)nitrate is added.
[ 6 marks]
please help me....i will be very grateful to you...pleaseeee...

Reaction score
a) Before using an indicator paper to test for ammonia, the paper should be moistened with water. (why)
b) if an aqueous solution is known to contain either Al(3+) aqueous or Zn(2+) aqueous , addition of aqueous ammonia will show which ion is present.
c) when testing for chloride, the solution should be acidified with dilute nitric acid before either aqueous silver nitrate or aqueous lead(II)nitrate is added.
[ 6 marks]

Reaction score
[ 6 marks]

a)im not sure but i think because it is the OH- IONS that cause the solution to be alkaline which are only produced when ammonia dissloves in water hance damp litmus paper is used
b)because with sodium hydroxide both the ions produce a white precipiatate that is soluble in excess to give a colourless solution wile with aqueous ammonia al(3+) ions produce a white precipitate that is insoluble in exxccess but zn(2+) ions produce a white precipitate that is soluble in excess to give colourless solution.
c)to remove/dissolve any carbonates present in the solution.
hope it helps :D

Reaction score
a)im not sure but i think because it is the OH- IONS that cause the solution to be alkaline which are only produced when ammonia dissloves in water hance damp litmus paper is used
b)because with sodium hydroxide both the ions produce a white precipiatate that is soluble in excess to give a colourless solution wile with aqueous ammonia al(3+) ions produce a white precipitate that is insoluble in exxccess but zn(2+) ions produce a white precipitate that is soluble in excess to give colourless solution.
c)to remove/dissolve any carbonates present in the solution.
hope it helps :D

oh...thank you so much dear...
you are very generous...:* :D

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me where Vertebrates classification is there in our syllabus coz i have a little doubt on it, whether its there or not? not mentioned in the syllabus? wat abt u guys?

Reaction score

Attachments

• chemistry-igcse.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • The Ultimate IGCSE Guide to Chemistry by CGPwned.docx
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
  • electricity22.docx
    717.7 KB · Views: 6
  • physics-equations.docx
    26.5 KB · Views: 8
  • physics-igcse8.docx
    6.2 MB · Views: 20
  • The Ultimate IGCSE Physics Guide.docx
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
  • Topic 4 Electric Circuits.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hey bro,
Can you please explain transistor potential dividers to me? I know how a potential divider works but I am not able to understand how the position of the thermistor/LDR affects the transistor. Diagrams show that the thermistor/LDR must be placed on the side where the emitter of the transistor is, but why?
Thanks in advance
Lanocaster

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help! ASAP. Can you guys tell me some tips and tricks for IGCSE Physics (0625) EXTENDED, and what topics to prepare for paper 6 (61 : Practical). Gosh im freakin' out aloot!!! :S paper 6 is on 12th :S

Reaction score
ImageGen.ashx

^^Does anyone have the CD for this? :cry:

Reaction score
Can someone help in Question Number 9, Summer 2009 in Chemistry paper 3.
And also why Temperature supports the backward reaction like in the graph Q6 (b)

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help! ASAP. Can you guys tell me some tips and tricks for IGCSE Physics (0625) EXTENDED, and what topics to prepare for paper 6 (61 : Practical). Gosh im freakin' out aloot!!! :S paper 6 is on 12th :S
for physics ATP know how to: (prepare, as this list is extremely hard and only for people who know how to do proper physics...)
Know how to measure ( i can almost gaurentee you 5-15 marks by just being able to measure the leangth of something or reading off values!)
Know how to draw- you don't need to be picasso (although i don't think you would get any marks for drawing in the exam in his style see http://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/picasso-drawing.jpg?w=455&h=320&crop=1) but you do need to know how to draw a straight line (i.e be able to use a ruler, which) and follow instuctions. Most will be drawing an electrical diagram or something to do with the refraction of light.
know what the parallax error is and how to avoid it- take reading prependicular to the scale, ruler, thermometer, whatever.
calculate something when they give you the formula (WOW thats soooo.... hard)
know what variables to control in an experiment
be able to draw a graph (inc line of best fit and the right scales, don't use scale breaks unless specifically allowed, just start the scale from a reasonable number instead of zero)

most common topics in physics atp: lenses, themometers,refraction (especially with optical pins,) Hookes law etc

Reaction score
You guys reactivity series for cations and anions. Can anyone list it for me,for cations,from least to most reactive,and also for anions. Pleasee,thanks xxx