• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

physics HELEEEEEEPPPPPPPP

Reaction score
Please can u give me practical usages of radioactivity and how is it used?
there are alot of questions like this in past papers and my textbook does not have anything in it

thanksss

R

rockincrew

1. Radiotherapy - gamma rays are used to kill cancer cells
2. Thickness monitoring - maintain steady thickness of material when made like paper
3. Carbon dating - find age of organic material
4. Tracers - detecting leak in underground pipe, checking function of body organs

if it helped click the thank button

Reaction score
Radioactivity in food ? There was one question about this too Ive heard !?!

Reaction score
I don't remember .. But it was like about radioactivity affecting humans .. Or in food or something. !

R

rockincrew

cHeStEr said:
I don't remember .. But it was like about radioactivity affecting humans .. Or in food or something. !
i think it was human blood circulation and why to use gamma and stuff may be

Reaction score
rockincrew said:
cHeStEr said:
i think it was human blood circulation and why to use gamma and stuff may be

like X-ray to see broken bone
and
radioactive ray injected in our blood and use a detector and see where is the problem.

hope its correct

Reaction score
X-rays aren't caused radioactivity , but by electrons losing energy very quickly.
Also , it's not a radioactive ray injected in our blood :p. It's a radioactive isotope of iodine that is used to identify problems with the thyroid gland and it's important to note that it has a very short half life so it doesn't remain in the body long.
Also radioactivity is used in rock dating.

Reaction score
well i was busy so i didnt read all the post :p
thx for correcting :D

Reaction score
unplugged said:
X-rays aren't caused radioactivity , but by electrons losing energy very quickly.
Also , it's not a radioactive ray injected in our blood :p. It's a radioactive isotope of iodine that is used to identify problems with the thyroid gland and it's important to note that it has a very short half life so it doesn't remain in the body long.
Also radioactivity is used in rock dating.
Thats what i was talking about !