• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics help needed For AS level

Reaction score
Hi there

Can any one help me with the following MCQ's regarding deformaion of solids for AS level physics. I have a test.

Question No 21 OCT/NOV 2009 Paper 11
Question No 18,20,21 MAY/JUNE 2009 paper 1
Question No 24 MAY/JUNE 2008 Paper 1
Question No 23 OCT/NOV 2004 paper1

Thank you in advance and God bless you.

please reply fast any one!!!!!! :?:

Reaction score
Question No 21 OCT/NOV 2009 Paper 11

well if u see the line is a bit curved...so to find the strain energy, area under the curve (its not a triangle so u hav to add the small area too! )
so its 0.5*(2/1000)*100=0.1J plus the small area above the triangle
so u estimate that if the energy of the triangle is 0.1J so the energy of the small area must be really small like 0.01

so u add both energies, to get the area under curve...which is 0.11J

Question No 24 MAY/JUNE 2008 Paper 1

YOUNG MODULUS IS ALWAYS THE SAME FOR THE SAME MATERIAL!!!!
SO THE ANSWER IS (C) CUZ THE SAME STEEL IS USED!

Question No 23 OCT/NOV 2004 paper1

same as before.
u make a line where the graph is starting and ending...this makes a triangle.
fined the area under this triangle........1/2 * 5 * 40= 100 J

the actual area is less than 100 J so the answer is (A)

Reaction score
Thank you very much!!!!

thanks alot!!!

actually i dont consider the subject difficult. it is all about technique rather than content. if u know the correct technique in answering the questions you will succeed. any how thanks a lot.

What about the MAY/June 2009 paper 1 question 18,20? :D :)

what is your qualification?

again thanks

Reaction score
JUNE 09

18...I DONNO :shock:
20....P has l lenght and A cross section....so its extension is E
Q has 2l...which means 2 times more extension and A/2 so 2 times again more extention...so in total 4E

the ratio of EXTENTION IN P : EXTENSION IN Q is 1:4

bt the force(tension) needed to extend P will be more, cuz it has less extention so the ratio of TENSION IN P : TENSION IN Q is 4:1...which is (D)

21......again the same :D

divide the grph into 3 areas, area of a triangle, rectangle and trapezium

area of triangle..u make a straight line, some are is extra, (in excess :p lol) = 0.275 J
area of rectangle=0.6J
and area of trapizum =1.15J...u make a line to make a full trapezium
the area that is in excess in triangle is apprx. equal to the area which trapizium is lacking
so u just add these 3 areas to get 2 J :)

ummm, im an As student, i'll give my AS exams this may InshaAllah

Reaction score
q 18
on ryt handside the liquid rises by h meaning that it falls by h on left handside so the height difference is 2h and ANS is therefore D
Q 20
ITS JUST proportionality...E=Fl/Ae e(extension;f force;a.. area)
rearrange this to give F=EeA/L ......WHERE e AND E are constant so lets call them k giving us the final reLAtion
F=kA/L......NOW FROM THIS equation l is inversley proprtion to force and A directly proportional to F

Reaction score
Well, I need some help with P1 Nov 2005 no. 34, please. Would be appreciated, thanks.

Reaction score
MW24595 said:
Well, I need some help with P1 Nov 2005 no. 34, please. Would be appreciated, thanks.
In the diagram, actually the gradient (or slope) of the curve represents the resistance. Gradient = I / V , so it equals the reciprocal (hope you know this word) of the resistance. That is, the steeper the slope, the smaller the resistance, and vice-versa. So in the diagram the smallest resistance is corresponding to the steepest slope - the answer is B.

Reaction score
Yes, I thought so, as well, and that seems to be the correct answer as far as I (or you for that matter, too) can tell, B corresponds to the greatest reciprocal of R and so represents the lowest resistance. However, it seems that according to the Mark Scheme, the answer is C. And I have no clue as to how that could be right.

Reaction score
caution:never write the reciprocal of I-V curve gradient idea for resistance in exam....its nt acceptable...........it cn help u sumtimes bt neva write this in any explanation