• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

PHYSICS HELP!!!

Reaction score
AoA! :)
Make three small holes near the edge of the sheet of metal (lamina). The holes should be as far apart from one another as possible. Using a retort stand, cork and pin, suspend the lamina through one of the holes. When the lamina is steady, hang a plumbline infront of it. When the plumbline is steady, make a line on the lamina infront of the plumbline using a pencil/pen. Repeat this procedure for the other 2 holes. The point of intersection of the three lines is the position of the centre of mass. The lamina should be free to swing about its point of suspension (to reduce friction) and the holes made must be small so that not too much of the lamina is removed.
Please check my answer with the m.s and let me know. Thank you!

Reaction score
Soulgamer said:
Here you go, Section B, Q.9 (a)
With detail and reasoning for every step if possible.

http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridg ... 6_qp_2.pdf

Please and Thank you! :)

Its the same we do with the cardboard lamina.!
Anywayz
make 3 holes in the three corners of the triangular metal sheet piece...one's already there...!
They shud b small enough for only a common pin to pass through..!But when hung...the metal piece shud swing freely..! Mst not be stuck as it can affect the results..!
Then hanging through one hole...take a plumb line..make a knot at one end and hang it too with the metal piece...! bring the thread and the metal sheet as close as possible to avoid parallax error..!
Now with a fine pencil...mark two points(as far as the could b) on the card of the line..!
remove the metal piece...draw the line then repeat 4 the other 3 holes as well..!
Two holes r enuf but we take three to ensure if the centre given by the two is correct..!
We hang the apparatus on an iron stand and this(not a very clear image but u can vividly see how the piece is being held, how the plumb line and drawn and how small the dots r..)

Hope it helps..! :)