• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics MCQ, June 2002

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
D, because the other three factors would have the same affect on all the houses!

Reaction score
Yeah, I hope you read the question carefully because it looks pretty straightforward. :p

Reaction score
Ummm...(excuse me for being stupid) but why isn't it C? I was originally of the opinion that background radiation is the same everywhere.

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
You can make this assumption that beyond 10 miles there won't be much radiation (or the other four houses might be comparatively near that station); but you CANNOT make any assumption for part D. As it's quite clear!
Hope this helped!

Reaction score
So 10 miles is too great a distance to allow any radiation to enter the house and cause a change in the radioactivity count? Ok, that made sense. Any more suggestions?

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
^ I've edited that post! (Another possibility)
But you always go for the most OBVIOUS MCQ. And you see, there can be many possibilities for Part C. Tou just ignore it!

Reaction score
No, it's not! no comment on this thread was the least irrelevant or off topic! :|
I want more suggestions if there are any so Nibz don't do that! I am especially waiting if leosco1995 has any explanation to give. :)

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
scouserlfc said:
Lock this topic Nibz its going to be a free chat zone if u dont.
What made you say that? :ugeek:
And abcde, you're still stuck at this :eek: OMG!

Reaction score
In O'levels there are two sources of radiations. First is the Cosmic radiations from space and second is background radiations coming from rocks on earth. As far as this question is concerned there is no other liable option. You can't be certain about the nuclear power station. It's not necessary that there is a leakage. 10 miles is not that large a distance to prevent radiations coming to the house. But I don't think nuclear power stations radiate until some problem occurs.

Reaction score
@Nibz: not stuck anymore but a little further clarification always helps!

Reaction score
hamidali391 explained it pretty well. Even if there was a leakage you can't be sure that only house A will be affected. Always go with the option you are most sure of. :)

Also, I have a question of my own (I didn't want to make a new thread).

Why is the answer of Q26 in this paper not A?

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Hahaha .. this time you didn't read the question carefully!

From Diagram 1, find the resistance of the resistor. It'd be => 6 ohms
There are two such resistors in parallel in Diagram 2. Find out their total resistance. It'd be 3 ohms!
Since V remains constant in parallel circuit, your V would remain 3 volts! V=IR => V=3 volts; R= 3ohms.. simply find the current!
It'd be 1 A!
so the answer is simply D :D

Reaction score
Just to add a little,
In a parallel network, current increases if more resistors are added and voltage remains the same in any condition whatsoever. So the answer is D.