• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics O levels complete discussion

Reaction score
Help.jpg

Reaction score
Answere is A

Moment= Force X distance from line of action of force of pivot .

The line of action of force is straight down from center ..... the distance between is not the diagnaol value . but from horizontal value below ( QC ) . Best if you draw the line of action of force and check it out your self . Nice question :D

Reaction score
How do we calculate tension? Any notes on that? I've seen a few questions in the past papers. :confused:

Reaction score
The easiest way to differentiate is, that Potential difference is the force needed to move a bunch of charges while EMF is the force to move a single charge.

I know the definition is childish but works well!
Actually no that's quite wrong. EMF is the amount of energy converted from non electrical forms to electrical when one coulomb charge passes through the cell. In other words the amount of energy the cell converts from chemical to electrical in driving one unit charge around a circuit.

Potential difference is the opposite ie the amount of energy converted from electrical to other forms for one unit charge. For example the amount of energy a lamp uses and converts to light and heat. It is measured in parralel so the amount of voltage coming into the lamp and going out of it can be compared. The difference in voltage is that which is used by the lamp also known as potential difference.

Reaction score
Oh and the uses of electromagnetism e.g electric bell, relay and such are not included right?

Reaction score
Well does anyone know the proper difference between potential difference and E.M.F .

From what i know emf the energy required to move a charge around the circuit , or any two points . while potential difference , is the difference in potential or energy between two points .
EMF is realted to nonelectric energy changing to electric energy (e.g. voltage of a battery)
P.D. is realted to electrical energy converted to nonelectric energy.

hope that helped.
btw in O levels mostly u don't need to differentiate b/w the two bcuz they use a cmbined word (VOLTAGE) for the both of them.

Reaction score
EMF is realted to nonelectric energy changing to electric energy (e.g. voltage of a battery)
P.D. is realted to electrical energy converted to nonelectric energy.

hope that helped.
btw in O levels mostly u don't need to differentiate b/w the two bcuz they use a cmbined word (VOLTAGE) for the both of them.
we got a question on mocks from it the main difference is that
emf is related to energy converted in the whole circuit from non electrical to electrical forms
pd is energy converted from non electrical to electrical forms between any two points in the circuit .

Reaction score
Well does anyone know the proper difference between potential difference and E.M.F .

From what i know emf the energy required to move a charge around the circuit , or any two points . while potential difference , is the difference in potential or energy between two points .

Potential Difference between two points in a circuit is the work done to move 1 Coulomb charge from one point to the other.
(i.e energy per coulomb charge)

EMF of the source is the work done to move 1 Coulomb charge around the COMPLETE CIRCUIT.

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the use of magnetic material in audio/video tapes?